Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

On the Come Up
This topic is about On the Come Up
Books of the Month > On the Come Up by Angie Thomas (May 2019 Young Adult BOM) - starts 16 May 2019

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Apr 10, 2019 05:50AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Moderators of NBRC | 30795 comments Mod

Synopsis
Sixteen-year-old Bri wants to be one of the greatest rappers of all time. Or at least make it out of her neighborhood one day. As the daughter of an underground rap legend who died before he hit big, Bri’s got big shoes to fill. But now that her mom has unexpectedly lost her job, food banks and shutoff notices are as much a part of Bri’s life as beats and rhymes. With bills piling up and homelessness staring her family down, Bri no longer just wants to make it—she has to make it.

On the Come Up is Angie Thomas’s homage to hip-hop, the art that sparked her passion for storytelling and continues to inspire her to this day. It is the story of fighting for your dreams, even as the odds are stacked against you; of the struggle to become who you are and not who everyone expects you to be; and of the desperate realities of poor and working-class black families.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - rated it 5 stars

What is a BOM (Book of the Month)?

At NRBC we use a more structured approach to our BOMs. We have a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book.

More info under spoiler
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited May 07, 2019 02:56AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chapter Breakdown

Date		Chapters 	Pages	MPDQs
16/17 May 1 - 6 Laura
18/19 May 7 - 12 Cat
19/20 May 13 - 19 Kerri
21/22 May 20 - 28 Cheryl
23/24 May 29 - end Tina

(view spoiler)

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ruby Coin Book of the Month ~ Ruby Coin Ruby Coin

How to Earn:
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for half DQ participation
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for Writing Disscussion Questions
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for completing ALL days DQs within month of BOM start
Example of ways to Earn Ruby Coins: (view spoiler)

Learn about Gem coins here

message 5: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited May 03, 2019 06:29AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Volunteers:

Cat
Laura (if library co-operates!)
Cheryl
Kerri
Tina

message 6: by Cat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cat (cat_uk) | 6497 comments Mod
well, I've got my reserve on, and amazingly it looks like it'll be with me on 1 May, so I'll volunteer :)

message 7: by Laura (last edited Apr 11, 2019 05:18AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura | 9707 comments I hope my copy comes in on time (I'm on a self imposed book ban) since I nominated this BOM!

edit-- it will be interesting to see if its as wonderful as her last book.

Cheryl | 903 comments I will be participating in this BOM and volunteer to do questions. I just put a hold on the book at our library and there is a copy available, so I should be good to go.

Cheryl | 903 comments I do have a copy of the book from the library, so I can do questions.

Laura | 9707 comments I'm still waiting for my copy!

message 11: by Cat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Laura wrote: "I'm still waiting for my copy!"

eeeeeek! fingers crossed!
I was super lucky that I got a copy, and have been hanging onto it ever since!

Jenny | 4744 comments I'm in. I bought this when it came out, and it has been sitting on the shelf. Time to take it out.

Alicia 🌻 | 4 comments I bought this and haven’t read it yet, I’m looking forward to reading it!

Kerri (kerrimcbooknerd) | 965 comments I'm in for this! I'll volunteer to write questions, as well :)

Laura | 9707 comments Woot woot!

message 16: by Katherine (new) - added it

Katherine Hayward Pérez  | 145 comments Looking around for this right now, I would love to be to take part. Not done a BOM for awhile.

Laura | 9707 comments Yeah Katherine! Welcome back to BOM'S!

message 18: by Tina ❣ (new) - added it

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1869 comments I'll volunteer for DQ

message 19: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'll be closing for volunteers on Sunday 5th (early afternoon UK time) and randomising and assigning chunks after that.

Cheryl | 903 comments If I am chosen for DQs, could I please go in the second half of the pack? I am celebrating a significant birthday the week this starts and will be gone from the 13th-17th. I am confident that I will not get reading done in a timely manner while we are away. Thanks for that consideration. Perhaps it will be a non-issue anyway and I will not be assigned DQs this time.

message 21: by Cat (last edited May 07, 2019 03:35AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I've allocated DQs to all the volunteers. Shout out if you can't do your section ASAP, please.

I've only got a kindle version, which I used to do the breakdown based on approx 20% per person. My kindle tells me there are 345p, but hardcopies have ~450p, so I haven't put page numbers in the breakdown, if that makes sense? It should be about 90p each

Hope you are all as excited to read as I am!

message 22: by Tina ❣ (new) - added it

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1869 comments I'm happy with my set :)

Laura | 9707 comments I'm happy with my set; now I need to pick up a copy of the book!

Kerri (kerrimcbooknerd) | 965 comments I'm good with my set :)

Cheryl | 903 comments I am good to go!

message 26: by Saf (new)

Saf  (saph95) I'm ready for this!!

Laura | 9707 comments I just read the 1st 6 chapters! I'm looking forward to reading more. DQ'S up tomorrow after work.

message 28: by Tina ❣ (new) - added it

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1869 comments Ooh thanks for the reminder Laura! I forgot when we started

Laura | 9707 comments No problem; I find this last one is easy to forget the start date.
So I read a little more than the first 6 chapters last night. I read until I crashed on the couch; I 'm about half way through. I'll wait until I post my questions to make more comments ( and wait for the rest of you to catch up. )

I will say that I am enjoying this book and I suspect it will be a 4-5 star read for me once I finish.

Laura | 9707 comments Day 1 DQ's

1. Wow. What a fabulous, first sentence. What were your thoughts after reading that?

2. Do you think Brianna's dad was killed by a "Crown"? Any ideas who might have it done it? Do you think we will find out later in the book?

3. What did you think of the Rookie Royale?

4. Pages 66-67. Does Brianna's behavior warrant a trip to the office? Thoughts?

5. What is your favorite scene from the first 6 chapters? (why? )

6. Have you read Angie Thomas' The Hate U Give ?If so does that make you have any expectations for this book? What do you think after the first six chapters?

Kerri (kerrimcbooknerd) | 965 comments Day 1 DQ's

1. Wow. What a fabulous, first sentence. What were your thoughts after reading that?

That first sentence definitely hooked me! Knowing the premise of the book, I figured she was talking about "killing" in a rap battle, but, ya know, that split second of not knowing just reeled me in.

2. Do you think Brianna's dad was killed by a "Crown"? Any ideas who might have it done it? Do you think we will find out later in the book?

I'm not sure if he was or not. I feel like we'll find out later on in the book who killed him or who might have killed him. It's a possibility that he was killed by one of the two gangs in the area. I am a little suspicious of the dad's recently fired manager, though...

It was so good! I was curious how the author was going to weave in Bri's rapping and I loved being able to be inside her head while she came up with her rhymes. And her rhymes were fire! Also, it felt good to watch her take down Milez... ugh.

I don't think she deserved a trip to the office, but I have to agree with what her mom told her later. As a young, black kid in the world we live in, there are certain things that you can't get away with that your white peers don't even have to worry about. I think, as a kid, I would agree with Bri's reason... they had no real reason to search her backpack beyond the fact that she "got smart" with them the day before. As a mom, though, I would encourage her to just do what they said and deal with their behavior later, in a safer environment. It's sad, but I'm just afraid of what could happen to my kids because they just happen to be black.

But, also, as a mom, I would have WENT OFF on that guard! How dare you put your hands on my kid just because she wouldn't hand over her backpack!? Ugh... I was so angry for Bri and her mom.

Definitely the battle in the Ring. Bri killed it! And I loved the description of the atmosphere and the lyrics and just everything about that scene.

6. Have you read Angie Thomas' The Hate U Give ?If so does that make you have any expectations for this book? What do you think after the first six chapters?

I have read The Hate U Give and I loved it! Gave it five stars. I enjoy how this book makes mention of the events that happen in THUG. I'm trying to not have expectations for this book because I did love The Hate U Give so much. I don't want that book to influence this one. So far, I'm really enjoying this book! I find it very easy to fall into Bri's world and get wrapped up in the story.

message 32: by Cat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Totally gripping opening! Give me more!

I'm guessing we'll find out. I'm worried it'll be related to Aunt Pooh though :(

That was fierce! I'm not into rapping or freestyle rap - it's a culture I know nothing of, but I was totally immersed and impressed by how Thomas showed Bri's thought process into building the rap response, not to mention the complete choke at the start.

No way! That was outrageous! That said, I acknowledge my privilege - as a white woman I've never been the victim of racial prejudice, and so I don't need to think about having to amend how I react to prejudice.

Uhhh.... I'm not sure I could pick one. I'm enjoying it very much

I have read The Hate U Give - my expectations were for a well-written book with realistic characters dealing with race issues - so far it's meeting them...

message 33: by Cheryl (last edited May 19, 2019 10:04AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cheryl | 903 comments Day 1 DQ's

Definitely had my attention. I knew nothing of the rap battles, so it made the statement more mysterious. I didn't think that she literally intended to kill someone.

I assume that Brianna's dad was killed by a Crown. I am not sure who it was, yet, but I am expecting we will find out the full story there, along with Bri who does not seem to know much about it. Interesting that so much has still been held back from her, still, at this point in her life.

I am totally amazed that people can come up with those kind of rhyming raps, on the fly, like that!

My thoughts are different today than they would have been a year ago on this. I recently carried on a discussion with a police officer about resisting arrest and have learned that you really just need to go along with the officer from the start. I am totally aware that this was an unfair search, but she should not have resisted. At a certain point, my understanding of things is that the officers would have been justified in saying that she was posing a questionable threat by resisting allowing them to search her backpack. Clearly, there was excessive force used, but she was uncooperative. I think that this is the unfortunate world that has been created by the prevalence of weapons.

No favorites

I did read The Hate U Give. I gave the book 4 stars. I expected more of the same from this one. The insights into the lives of these people which is so different to my own experiences is interesting. I am just concerned that the books seem to highlight more the differences and the problems without offering solutions.

message 34: by Cat (new) - rated it 4 stars

DQs Set 2: Chapters 7 - 12

7. We meet Bri's family in this section, and more about her home life. What do you think about the two main women in her life: Jay and Aunt Pooh?

8. Malik's reaction to her song is different to everyone else's - whilst he does rate it, he's also concerned about the interpretation that could be put on the lyrics. Do you agree with him?

9. Bri reacts unexpectedly to both Curtis and Malik, seeing them in new lights. Whilst the Malik romance angle is shut down swiftly, what do you think of Curtis?

10. Supreme approaches Bri to praise her performance at the Ring, and they end up talking about her music and how to get it out. Do you trust Supreme? You think Aunt Pooh will come good for Bri?

message 35: by Cat (new) - rated it 4 stars

DQs Set 2: Chapters 7 - 12

7. We meet Bri's family in this section, and more about her home life. What do you think about the two main women in her life: Jay and Aunt Pooh?

Argh! Aunt Pooh is so frustrating. On one hand she clear loves her niece and wants to support her, on the other hand she makes bad choices and lets her down.
I like Jay - the hand-to-mouth struggle and dealing with addiction doesn't stop her being fiercely protective and proud of her children. I could wish she let Bri know a bit more about what's going on in her life than she does, but get the need to protect her, and how hard parents can find it to adjust to growing children

8. Malik's reaction to her song is different to everyone else's - whilst he does rate it, he's also concerned about the interpretation that could be put on the lyrics. Do you agree with him?

I can see his point - the point Bri is trying to make is a few iterations deep into thinking about the lyrics, and so of course most people will take it at face value. It's much more a first draft email to get it all out, then Bri should've sat down and thought about it with someone else (Aunt Pooh, if she hadn't left). Annoyingly, Bri even thought, as she was writing it, that Aunt Pooh would normally be helping bounce ideas & such.
but.... I can also see that Bri is making a valid point....

9. Bri reacts unexpectedly to both Curtis and Malik, seeing them in new lights. Whilst the Malik romance angle is shut down swiftly, what do you think of Curtis?

I was annoyed, actually, at these plot points, which came from nowhere in terms of her reaction to Malik. I think that Bri's interactions with Curtis will be interesting - she's got a whole load of opinions held from years ago that haven't really been tested.

10. Supreme approaches Bri to praise her performance at the Ring, and they end up talking about her music and how to get it out. Do you trust Supreme? You think Aunt Pooh will come good for Bri?

I'm very dubious about Supreme - I think he's out for what he can get, not what's best, long-term, for Bri. I did appreciate what he was trying to say, and if Bri hadn't brought up the music would be fine with that, but as soon as he saw money-making options it seemed to click something in his head...

(BTW: I wrote the questions before reading chap 13, but have now read chap 13 - interesting....!)

message 36: by Cat (new) - rated it 4 stars

@Cheryl re Q4. The tricky thing is that those guys aren't police, but security guards. Clearly, the same advice is sensible, but it still sits slightly differently in my head.
Also, she is a teen, and how often do teens not make the sensible choice?!

But, the guards totally overreacted and weren't professional - she'd been through the metal detector so couldn't have been a physical danger to them - did they really need to through her to the ground??

message 37: by Tina ❣ (new) - added it

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1869 comments I won't be able to write the DQ this week. I haven't been able to read this (only the first page). I might be able to if it's extended to the end of the month. I hope this is enough notice!

Kerri (kerrimcbooknerd) | 965 comments DQs Set 2: Chapters 7 - 12

I think they're both interesting women with very different value sets. I'm proud of Bri's mom getting off drugs and keeping herself clean. And I'm disappointed in Bri's aunt for being about that life, even after seeing what drugs did to her sister. But they both have a lot of depth to them and I'm hoping to get more of a glimpse of who they are.

I do agree with him. But I also see what Bri was trying to do. She was "acting like a thug" because that's the label that she feels people want to slap on her. She was being facetious, but, like Malik said, most people won't take it like that. Especially people who *would* automatically label her as a thug because of her skin color. I just feel like there may have been a better way to approach it.

At the same time, she is the artist and if that's how she wants to express herself, then that's how she should feel free to do it. I'm just worried about how it will affect her if she does finally put it online.

Curtis seems like a distraction, to be honest. He came out of nowhere! Of course, some relationships do start that way. I don't know... I honestly think any romance would kind of detract from the main story. It just seems unnecessary? She is a teenage girl, though *shrug*

I don't trust Supreme at all. There's a reason Law fired him and I'm sure it was a good one. I just feel like he's going to take advantage of Bri, especially since Aunt Pooh is currently MIA. I hope Aunt Pooh is okay... I know Bri said she disappears a lot, but I'm worried. I'm a worrier, lol.

Kerri (kerrimcbooknerd) | 965 comments Day 3 DQs

11. At the beginning of this section, Bri is struggling between staying loyal to Aunt Pooh as her manager or going with Supreme, who has more experience. Which would you choose? Do you think she made the right choice?

12. Supreme wants Bri to play into the "thug" role to help make a name for herself. Jay says that she doesn't get the luxury of playing a role. Do you agree with that? Why or why not? How do you think it will effect Bri, in the end?

13. Do you think Bri should let Malik and the student coalition release the video of her being thrown to the ground by the security guards? Do you think it would help their cause?

14. After Jay heard the news story and parts of On the Come Up, she bans Bri from rapping. Do you think that was the right thing to do?

15. Oh boy... Bri's Instagram story! I understand the anger, but I'm not sure I agree with the response. What repercussions do you think there will be?

Cheryl | 903 comments Cat wrote: "@Cheryl re Q4. The tricky thing is that those guys aren't police, but security guards. Clearly, the same advice is sensible, but it still sits slightly differently in my head.
Also, she is a teen, ..."

I agree that the force used was excessive and clearly there was racial profiling going on here. But they are hired by the school district to enforce safety and thus are deputized officers. Her backpack would not have set off the metal detector if what they were suspecting was drugs. Again, that was likely profiling, probably if they were not inspecting other packs at least randomly.

My point is that I have learned that you do not, in any way, want to risk resisting police or peace officers. Especially in the climate we are living in today. It could end up with you shot or at least tazed and not just thrown to the ground and roughed up. It does not matter whether you are a hotheaded teen or adult. The issues are the same and can lead to the same deadly result. And because of where I grew up and a lot of the police shootings (both officers doing the shooting or being shot), I have a lot of sympathy for police officers and the precarious situations they find themselves in. Clearly this kind of situation exists where the story is set since it is clear that Bri lives in a neighborhood that deals with drug dealers and gang violence. She is not attending her neighborhood school because she is in a magnet school for the arts. Nonetheless, the fact that there are two security guards and metal detectors says there is a concern in the school. All very unfortunate.

One other thought. I think there may be a lot of teenagers who don't use their senses all the time, but most would not argue with a person in authority like Bri does. Most would be scared to death and would have quickly complied.

One other other thought. I did my Senior project in college on student rights in schools. The courts have totally sided against whether a person has privacy rights where there backpacks, lockers, and even cars parked on the premises are concerned. The student speech which led to rioting at the school is also not protected as free speech. No punches had to be thrown for the police to become involved there if the environment created now was considered hostile or possibly dangerous. A lot of talk about "rights" lately and not so much about "common good" or responsibility.

message 41: by Cheryl (last edited May 21, 2019 12:49AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cheryl | 903 comments DQs Set 2: Chapters 7 - 12

I love Bri's mother! What an admirable woman. The concerning thing is that while she has overcome her drug addiction which she used to deal with her grief with the death of her husband, she has still not fully taken care of the depression in an adequate way and I would still really worry about her without her getting the full help she needs. She looks too easily to be one to return to the addiction or fall victim to suicide. I love her no nonsense approach to dealing with her children and her insistence for both them and herself that receiving an education was an important part of escaping the situation that they found themselves in. I love her valuing and prioritizing education!

As for Pooh. Well, she is such an important character in the story as a foil for so many of the other characters to be compared to. As a person, she is a wonderful, loving person. But the choices she is making in her drug dealing and gang involvement are just crap. So, she is the demonstration of how not to react in the same situation of grief. I am sympathetic that it may seem some are dealt a poor hand and they have a difficult time seeing better choices, but Pooh has made some deliberate bad choices and it was not how she was raised.

I had so much respect for Malik's response about Bri not being true to her true self and selling out to a commercial stereotype.

I loved Curtis from the start. The powerful thing about this relationship is that it is built upon a foundation of friendship first and not just a crush. He is just such a good, well-grounded guy who has dealt with the negative things handed to him in a positive way.

Supreme creeped me out from the start. Kind of the sterotypical bad manager kind of guy. You already have an image of him in your mind for the movie. Yuck! He is about making things good for himself with little regard for the person he is managing.
I hope that Pooh can end up a help for Bri. I am so glad that she discouraged the gun/violence implications in Bri's rap!

message 42: by Cheryl (last edited May 21, 2019 01:23AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cheryl | 903 comments Day 3 DQs

11. At the beginning of this section, Bri is struggling between staying loyal to Aunt Pooh as her manager or going with Supreme, who has more experience. Which would you choose? Do you think she made the right choice?

That's a hard one. Supreme is scummy and Pooh is just questionable on so many levels. Certainly Supreme has lots of experience, but then her father had fired him, so that should have been a big message to her that he may not be a good choice. He knows the business, but is of questionable character. Pooh really knows nothing of the business, but cares about her niece. In the end, at the start of her career, Pooh would probably be a better choice, although the positive results would probably be longer in coming. Her mother may know something of the business, since she was married to someone who had navigated the system a bit. There are probably others who knew her dad and the business that would be better choices and maybe here mom could offer some good info there, if Bri just trusted her more and was willing to be more honest with her.

12. Supreme wants Bri to play into the "thug" role to help make a name for herself. Jay says that she doesn't get the luxury of playing a role. Do you agree with that? Why or why not? How do you think it will effect Bri, in the end?
I just think that it is not responsible for an artist to take on this "thug" role today. There are too many people with mental problems out there who cannot think right or do not have the maturity to think correctly to see through the hype. I know that it can be argued that the "thug" rapping is simply painting a picture a life that many feel they are forced to live in. I just do not agree with that...and neither does Bri's mother. They see that education is the solution for changing that world that has surrounded Bri for most of her life. I just want to hear more messages of hope and nonviolence, like Dr. Martin Luther King preached, and less of the violence prevalent in music, movies, and games today. I believe that it matters. I believe there are many artists who agree and are trying to make that positive difference.

13. Do you think Bri should let Malik and the student coalition release the video of her being thrown to the ground by the security guards? Do you think it would help their cause?
I am impressed with Bri for not wanting it to be released if she feels it would increase tensions. I am not sure that that is what she is doing since she went where she went with her rap. I think the video would be more likely to lead to change, in the long run, than the rap.

14. After Jay heard the news story and parts of On the Come Up, she bans Bri from rapping. Do you think that was the right thing to do?
I fully understand her mother's fears for her child. Where she heard her daughter going with her rap was the same direction she saw as fatal for her husband and she does not want to see the same thing happen to her daughter. Possibly an overreaction, but an understandable one. The hyped up situation that happened at school adds to the reason for concern. Perhaps if Bri would be more honest and upfront with her mother in this then the results would be different. Bri is not coming from a point of building her mother's trust here and that will lead to a mother's protective standoff. Her daughter's safety is of first consideration to Jay and until her concerns for Bri's safety can be resolved, nothing else can move forward from there.

15. Oh boy... Bri's Instagram story! I understand the anger, but I'm not sure I agree with the response. What repercussions do you think there will be?
This was my least favorite moment in the book and left me with a real negative feel for Bri.

Cheryl | 903 comments I only came up with a couple of questions for my section. It just did not lend itself to questions. I could add a couple of questions for the conclusion of the book since Tina is unable to.

message 44: by Cat (last edited May 21, 2019 01:51AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cheryl wrote: "I only came up with a couple of questions for my section. It just did not lend itself to questions. I could add a couple of questions for the conclusion of the book since Tina is unable to."

That would work -thanks Cheryl :)

Tina, hope you don't mind - I worked on the basis that if it were me, I'd rather someone else cover than have it hanging over me with a guilty vibe, however unnecessary any guilty feeling - your notification was perfect, thanks!

message 45: by Cat (new) - rated it 4 stars

Day 3 DQs

I think it depends what she wanted out of it - if it's money & fame, then Supreme - but that will be at the expense of her brand - she'll have to work with Supreme's idea of how she should be presented. Aunt Pooh would protect her and keep her true to herself, but honestly, she's not much of a manager!
Neither are the right choice.

She definitely doesn't get the luxury of playing a role when she's so hot headed!
How will it affect her? hmmmm.... I've finished so I'm going to skip this question.

I think that if she'd Okayed it earlier it might've worked, but now there is too much assumptions and emotions. That said, i get why she doesn't want to, but she's ultimately trying to have it both ways - not wanting people to buy into a vision of her and yet being naive about how much effort people put into parsing lyrics - fans might, for sure, but the white parents? less so.

I think it was an overreaction thats going to breed unintended consequences - Bri wants to rap too much to obey

message 46: by Cat (new) - rated it 4 stars

@Cheryl msg 40.
I very much agree with your last point - personal rights have to be considered within the context of personal responsibility to the community.

Cheryl | 903 comments Day 4 DQs

16. Bri was frustrated with peoples' negative reaction about the message and intentions of "On the Come Up," saying that they are "just words." Where do you think the line is on free speech and do you think they are "just words"?

17. Bri has her rant on Instagram. Your reaction and thoughts about people airing their feelings in an unrestrained manner on social media...?

Kerri (kerrimcbooknerd) | 965 comments Day 4 DQs

16. Bri was frustrated with peoples' negative reaction about the message and intentions of "On the Come Up," saying that they are "just words." Where do you think the line is on free speech and do you think they are "just words"?

I'm of the opinion that freedom of speech allows you to say whatever you wish, but it doesn't protect you from dealing with the fallout of what you say. Freedom of speech does not equal freedom from peoples' reactions to your speech. In a sense, On the Come Up is just a song and "just words", but a lot of people will always take words at face value. Do I think that should stop artists from writing what they feel? Nope. But they need to be prepared for the potential backlash and decide if they are ready to handle it.

17. Bri has her rant on Instagram. Your reaction and thoughts about people airing their feelings in an unrestrained manner on social media...?

Again, it's their social media, so they are free to do what they want on it. Doesn't absolve them from dealing with the backlash, though. If you're gonna show your butt for the whole world to see, be prepared for the comments that are sure to be coming your way.