Play Book Tag discussion

Common Sense
This topic is about Common Sense
April 2019: History > Common Sense by Thomas Paine - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

ShazM | 352 comments Thomas Paine published this pamphlet in 1776 giving his reasons why America should pursue independence from Britain. It is a very interesting document, giving a lot of sensible suggestions about how government should work and why a monarchy is not the ideal. Some of it is quite amusing, reading it with hindsight, but actually Common Sense is a very good title for it and there is a lot that can be taken on board today.

I suppose, as a native of England, it isn't surprising that I'd never heard of this until it was chosen as a short read for another group. I would be very interested in hearing whether this is a widely known piece of writing in America?

message 2: by Cora (new)

Cora (corareading) | 1286 comments ShazM wrote: "Thomas Paine published this pamphlet in 1776 giving his reasons why America should pursue independence from Britain. It is a very interesting document, giving a lot of sensible suggestions about ho..."

I would say it it is widely known in the US. I had to read it for history class in high school.

message 3: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7121 comments Yes, I had to read it High School also-

message 4: by Theresa (last edited Apr 08, 2019 01:20PM) (new)

Theresa | 6106 comments In the US, we learn about it in high school American History classes - at least I presume it is still taught. It is considered one of the key documents which inspired our founders. However, I would hazard to say few of us have actually read it. I certainly haven't although it might be something I was supposed to read at some point - my memory of what I was supposed to read and didn't is very faded -- as is my memory of what I did read that I was supposed to! I was in schools in the 1960s and 70s, a long time - and many books - ago.

But thanks for reading and posting your review! I'm thinking it will fit a challenge category for either PS or ATY which I've struggled to fill -- prompt is to read a book you were supposed to read in school. Only thing I was coming up with was James Joyce's Ulysses or Finnegan's Wake which I never managed to read in college even though I was supposed to do so. And I really don't 'feel' them now!

ShazM | 352 comments I didn't take history after about age 11 so I don't know what, if anything, we would have been required to read. I haven't even read the Magna Carta so now I feel I should!

The book I didn't read when I should have was Thomas Hardy's Far From The Madding Crowd and now I have! I don't know how I managed to get away with it but I was lucky that it didn't come up much in the exam!