What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Revolving Boy
This topic is about The Revolving Boy
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA/Adult? Fiction, <1980, boy must flip and turn himself back to center everyday. [s]

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diana (new)

Diana | 4 comments First chapter of the book: A boy (young man) feels compelled to re-center himself at the end of every day by standing in place and reversing every turn and other movement he made that day. He would spin in place, sometimes flipping himself. His father is distressed by his son doing this. The boy/young man explains in detail why he must do this.

I only read the first chapter before the book was taken away from me (the librarian at my school was re-shelving all books that hadn't been checked out and my time was up).

I know the book was published before 1980. I read that chapter between 1977-1979. I don't remember anything else about the book itself.

message 2: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4989 comments Do you think the boy had OCD? Did people talk about OCD back then?

message 3: by Diana (new)

Diana | 4 comments There was no specific mention of OCD specifically, though I want to say the word "compulsive" was in that first chapter?
I just don't recall, I'm sorry.

The big takeaway from that single chapter was how compelled the boy/young man felt to note where he stood at the beginning of each day, and at the end of the day, recall every turn he'd made that day and then turn the other way for each turn he'd made. I know he did some flips, too, but I don't remember why (somersaults? riding on a roller coaster?). I think?? the revolutions of the Earth itself had something to do with it.

message 4: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1078 comments Probably too much of a longshot, but maybe The Revolving Boy, by Gertrude Friedberg? The Revolving Boy It's science fiction.

message 5: by Diana (new)

Diana | 4 comments I'm ordering The Revolving Boy right now. Thank you, Pamela!
I'm almost certain this is it!

message 6: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1078 comments You're welcome. Let me know if I was right! (I've read the book, but it was a long time ago.)

message 7: by Diana (new)

Diana | 4 comments I posted to FB about the title and found out someone I'm friends with has the book and they loaned it to me. It IS the book I've been looking for.

Much like Derv Nagy at the end of each day, I feel much better now. I finally get to finish reading it. Thank you so much Pamela!!

message 8: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Love | 1078 comments Excellent! Glad to help.

message 9: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4989 comments I'm glad you found it, Diana.