Because we love books discussion

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (Read book. Repeat) (jessicarhiannon) | 123 comments Mod
I want to know, what is your top 5 favourite books of all time, and why?
I'll start even thought this is going to be SO hard to narrow it down to 5 haha.

1. Daughter of the Blood - Anne Bishop
Daughter of the Blood (The Black Jewels, #1) by Anne Bishop
I wasn't into this when I first started reading it, but I persevered and by halfway through the second book in the series, I was absolutely hooked. The characters are so well written and developed. The story is compelling and absolutely amazing, and the world building blew me away. I recommend this book to EVERYONE as a must read.

2. Daughter of Smoke and Bone - Laini Taylor
Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor
I was absolutely blown away by this story. I had been looking at the cover in my local bookstore for SO long before I finally gave in and bought it. I can't believe I waited so long. The story is beautifully heartbreaking and just amazing. The characters are so real that you're rooting for them through everything that happens. It was so unputdownable for me.

3. NOS4R2 - Joe Hill
NOS4R2 by Joe Hill
This story was just...wow. When I finished it, after not being able to put it down, I had to just sit there for about half an hour and have a cigarette, I needed to think about what I just read. The story spans decades, and it's just so enthralling.

4. Heart-shaped box - Joe Hill
Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill
I wasn't sure how I felt about the protagonist, I didn't know if I'd be able to connect with a 50something year old washed up rock-star with a penchant for women half his age, but I did. Oh boy I did. It's such a chilling story, it gave me the creeps just like a good horror should. And even though the main character can be a bit of a dick, I found myself backing him completely and hoping he would make it through.

5. Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden
Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
I read this book probably 15 years ago, and it still sticks in my mind to this day. I'm not a fan of book to movie adaptations because I feel like the movie never does the book justice, but when I was reading this book it felt like a movie playing out in my head, moreso than normal. And once I saw the movie, I honestly couldn't pick which was better. It's such a bittersweet story and the imagery is just beautiful.

message 2: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 121 comments Mod
You are completely right! It's really hard to choose just 5 books... There are so many books that I like and choose just 5... Well... I will try! ;)

1. City of Heavenly Fire
City of Heavenly Fire (The Mortal Instruments, #6) by Cassandra Clare This book is the last of The Mortal Instruments series. To be honest I LOVE the entire series but this last book... Well it's better than any other book of the series! Probably I love it so much because it's the end of an amazing series and it's incredible! So well-written that let you feel what the characters fell and... the sacrifices in the end... All the characters last choices... I felt my heart broking and a book that can do it it's definitely incredible and one of my favorites books because there are just a few books that can do it...

2. Red Queen
Red Queen (Red Queen, #1) by Victoria Aveyard This book is incredible! I love this book so much because of the characters - Mare, Cal, Maven, Evangeline -, all perfect; the plot (a world divided by blood - a elite with Silver blood and special powers and the rest of the people with Red blood and without powers, practically Silvers' slaves - where the Silvers rule. And then appears Mare. Red. With Silvers powers. What is she? And what will happen when the king puts her in a sea of Silvers?); and the end (incredible. Unpredictable. Created to give a hearth broken to everyone who reads the book.)

3. Dark Lover
Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. Ward I didn't finish to read this book yet but I already know that I love it. Because I don't need to read the entire book to know I love it. And I know I love it. And I'm sure that neither the end (even if it's the worst end in the world, what is impossible because someone who writes such incredible book can't write a bad end) can destroy it! I love the plot, the characters (the sexiest and proudest vampires in the world (specially Wrath), and the way the book is written (so well that make you think that love at the first sifht makes sense... Even if you know it is completely ridiculous...)

4. Inverno de Sombras
Inverno de Sombras by L.C. Lavado This book is portuguese (I wrote a review about this book and if you read it you will discover how I ended with a portuguese book in my hands). I love the plot (the plot just can be described in one word: perfect!), the characters (everyone has secrets and desires and will do anything to find what they want. Danton is the most incredible character - dangerous and mysterious -, created with an amazing talent), and the way it is written (giving you the information you need to understand what's happening but always with secrets) and again good enough to make you believe that love at the first sight is normal (but not as good as Dark Lover).

5. Throne of Glass
Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1) by Sarah J. Maas Incredible. Genial. I love the main character. Not the main character that you used to find. A thief. A prisoner. The prince champion.
The plot is also incredible. Celaena will fight against dangerous killers that come from the entire kingdon. The prize? Her freedom. Or something near it. But can the assassin control her emotions? Chaol. Dorian. Two incredible guys. What do they mean for her?

So... This is my TOP 5 (it was really difficult to choose just 5 but I do my best). ;)