What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Good Night, Fred
This topic is about Good Night, Fred
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Illustrated children's book about a boy whose grandma comes to visit him through the telephone. [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leigh (last edited Apr 08, 2019 11:26AM) (new)

Leigh Weber | 2 comments I am looking for an illustrated children's book I remember some details of from my youth. I hope this isn't too vague:
What I remember is a boy was in his pyjamas and he called his grandma and she came over through the telephone (probably a rotary telephone). I think she was little sized to fit in the phone. I remember one scene where the boy and his grandma are jumping on the couch.
The way I remember how the boy looked is kind of like Sendak's illustrations of a boy in "In the Night Kitchen," for example, but more recent (my guess is the 1980s).
When I think of this book the colour green comes to mind...
I hope this is enough detail! Thanks for your help! :)

message 2: by Mai (last edited Apr 08, 2019 10:31AM) (new)

Mai | 1215 comments Searching children's book "80s" "comes out of the telephone" I found this comment:
"When I was a child there were two books I wanted desperately to hear before bedtime. The first was Goodnight Fred. This was a favorite because the grandmother in the book comes out of the telephone to visit Fred and Arthur, her grandsons. I, too, thought my grandmother lived in the telephone and could come out and visit whenever she pleased."
https://www.interfaithfamily.com/blog...

So I searched a little more and I think she is referring to:
Good Night, Fred by Rosemary Wells
Amazon link (so you can see a picture of the cover):
https://www.amazon.com/Good-Night-Fre...
Reader review:
"This was one of my FAVORITE books when I was a kid. I am now reading the same copy to my 2 1/2 year old son who also loves it. Its a cute story about Fred who accidentally breaks the telephone. He is worried because Grandma is in the telephone. "We just talked to her." After he can't sleep, he goes downstairs and Grandma pops out of the phone. They have lots of fun together. "

message 3: by Leigh (new)

Leigh Weber | 2 comments OMG YES! Thank you so much, Mai!! I have been trying to figure this out for soooo long. This just made my day :)

message 4: by Mai (new)

Mai | 1215 comments I'm so glad this is the book you were looking for! I had to read your description a couple times... definitely an original concept! Hope you find a copy and can enjoy it again :-)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Good Night, Fred (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Rosemary Wells (other topics)