Weird Fiction discussion

Publishers of Weird Fiction > Centipede Press

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim (last edited Apr 07, 2019 03:22PM) (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Centipede Press publishes very nice books with great artwork. They're usually pricey, but worth it if you like fine hardbacks that will last a long time. They do some really great collections. They usually don't stick around for very long. Always check their Scratch & Dent page. What Jarred considers damaged is often invisible to me, but I'm not a collector. I'm a reader.
http://www.centipedepress.com/

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) Today's offering is the "LIBRARY OF WEIRD FICTION" by Robert Aickman. Read more about it here:
http://www.centipedepress.com/masters...

message 3: by Scott (new)

Scott That's a great price, and I'm tempted even though I have never been able to get into Aickman.

message 4: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) You're right. $39 plus shipping is great for a book this nice. I'm afraid I didn't look at that since The Boss was calling me for dinner. Quite often the books are very pricey, especially if they're signed & collected in sleeves. It's not unusual for books to run $250.

I've got all 7 books of Karl Edward Wagner's works. There are 2 with his short stories & 5 collecting the Kane stories & novels. Really fantastic.

The genre page shows sections for "Masters of the Weird Tale" & "Library of Weird Fiction". All are thick, single volumes, nice to read a story or look up things occasionally, but too big to lug around. Great artwork. Oddly enough, I have all of the latter save for Machen's book. Hmm... I did just get my tax refund...

Danger! Leave the area immediately!!!
;)

message 5: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) I see the Scratch & Dent link is gone again probably because he just has some personal stuff for sale like comic books & movies. It's here:
http://www.centipedepress.com/scratch...

message 6: by Scott (new)

Scott I have two of the Kane books (I think he was selling them on clearance) and the first of Wagner's short story collections. I also have Fog Heart and The Nightwalker.

Most recently I got Masters of Science Fiction, a thick collection that was also for a very nice price (I think $45). Even if it was unsigned and unnumbered, it still would have been reasonable.

message 7: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) I have that same Masters of SF book of Richard Wilson's stories. It wasn't as good as I'd hoped. If you have the first of KEW's short stories, Where the Summer Ends: The Best Horror Stories of Karl Edward Wagner, Volume One, you have the best. I'm a real fan of KEW's, but Walk on the Wild Side: The Best Horror Stories of Karl Edward Wagner, Volume Two wasn't nearly as good. I think the drink had him too badly by then, too much gross stuff rather than the weird horror I appreciated so much in his earlier work.

If you like his work & want to know more about him, Exorcisms and Ecstasies is great. It has a lot of his work, but (I think) each piece is preceded by a short essay about him by one of the many fantastic authors that knew him. It's usually fairly pricey used, about $85 now on Abebooks or Amazon. I see Ebay has a copy for $80, though.

message 8: by Scott (new)

Scott I don't think I'd pay $80 for one of his books. The first Centipede collection was a mixed bag for me. Couple really good ones, couple okay ones, couple that I didn't care for. Still, I wish I'd gotten the second one when it was new, because you never really know, and both volumes are pricey now.

message 9: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) I can understand that, especially for a used book. I got my first copy of 'Exorcisms' for $5 at a remainder shop. I got it home, read part of it & found the other copies gone before I got back. It took years, but I finally found it for $60 & bought a copy for my youngest boy who is also a fan.

All of his books are crazy expensive because they're so rarely reprinted. Some of Zelazny's books have the same issue.