2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #1 discussion

Murder in Murray Hill (Gaslight Mystery, #16)
This topic is about Murder in Murray Hill
Murder in Murray Hill > Question I

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7591 comments Mod
Frank and Sarah meet with his mother to tell her of their engagement. Your thoughts about how Sarah handled the discussion and his mother’s reaction?

Phrynne | 592 comments I have been thinking for ages that if only Sarah visited Frank's mother and let her know she wasn't going to be left on her own then everything would be okay. Mind you this bit did go a bit too smoothly! The author is getting rather fairytale romantic about solving all the issues but I don't mind a bit!!!

I’m with you on the fairy tale aspect but it was such a nice respite after dealing with Milo’s evilness.

But, I agree that his mother’s animosity always had to do with her perceived threat to her livelihood. She certainly wasn’t competing with him for his affection. She just wanted to matter and Sarah gave her that value.

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 1379 comments I also think his mother did not want to be removed at a distance from little Brian. She really was involved in the signing classes, and she will figure largely in teaching Frank, Sarah and Maeve how to communicate with him. Catherine already seems to get it by osmosis. [I do not know this, since I've not read ahead, just a prediction.]

Her relationship with Brian and her role at his school combined to give this woman purpose. As tough as it was for women, she had to have felt frightened about the prospect of losing her role in the family.

Robin (robinmy) | 1213 comments I loved the scene of Frank and Sarah explaining that they wanted (or needed) Mrs. Malloy to live with them to help with Brian. You could almost see Mrs. Malloy going from being scared she was going to be left alone to being an important part of the family.

That was a wonderful scene, Robin. She utterly transformed before their eyes.

The more I think about it, Frank’s mother was also at the mercy of her son. If he put her out, she’d have nowhere to go. It’s no wonder she resented Sarah.

Robin (robinmy) | 1213 comments You're right. Good thing she had a son that cares for her, even if she annoys him a lot of the time.

I just loved how confused Frank was after the conversation. He couldn't figure out what had changed his mother so miraculously.

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 2239 comments Mrs. Malloy's animosity toward Sarah was always because she saw her as a threat to her place in frank and Brian's lives. Once it was made clear that there was a place for her, it wasn't surprising that she underwent a complete personality change.

She was actually very similar to the vicitms in the book who only wanted a home and a family.

Completely agree, Lauren!