Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Same book?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ketutar (new)

Ketutar Jensen | 48 comments Is this Hidden Figures the same book as Hidden Figures

message 2: by Emily (new)

Emily | 13169 comments Good question--it is not. The one in the first link is the regular book, and other one is a Young Readers' Edition, meaning it is edited to be more accessible to kids/teens.

message 3: by Olivia (new)

Olivia (livka) | 7927 comments Emily wrote: "The one in the first link is the regular book, and other one is a Young Readers' Edition, meaning it is edited to be more accessible to kids/teens."

I thought these ussualy should be combined, unless they are addaptations.

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42006 comments Mod
Olivia wrote: "I thought these ussualy should be combined, unless they are addaptations. "

Correct.

message 5: by Emily (last edited Apr 09, 2019 03:55PM) (new)

Emily | 13169 comments These books are very different. The Young Readers' Edition is for kids ages 8-12. It is small, so the page count is not the best indicator. I consider it an adaptation (like Unbroken: An Olympian's Journey from Airman to Castaway to Captive).
I started to combine all the books, but then I decided to go look at the physical one as I have not read it.
Here's a comparison of the default edition of the Young Readers' Edition and the original hardback of the regular edition.
https://www.goodreads.com/photo/user/...
the next picture is the pages.

message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42006 comments Mod
The difference in length is actually less of a factor than the text itself. I just pulled up my Kindle edition of the (non-YRE version), and compared it to the text in your photo. I agree that it is completely different.

So I agree the Young Readers' Edition is an adaptation in this case.

message 7: by Emily (new)

Emily | 13169 comments I originally thought it was young adult, but when I noticed the age range on the book and the simpler text I thought I would ask. Thanks.