What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Regency/Victorian historical romance with the main female character's name is Christina

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by C (new)

C | 7 comments I'm trying to remember a book written in the past 15 years or so. It's a Regency or Victorian romance about a woman named Christina who marries a nobleman (a Duke or something). Then, the bad guys fake the nobleman's death - with the help of her dear friend Thomas, who has been in love with her for years - but she doesn't believe her husband is really dead. He ends up being held prisoner somewhere and getting addicted to opium, or something like that.

I read it years ago, and I remember the last name of the author starts with a letter somewhere between G and M, but I don't remember who specifically wrote it, or what the title is. Can anyone help? It's been driving me crazy for a couple of years now!!

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34445 comments Mod
C, why was the hero/husband kidnapped (e.g., romantic rival, business rival, inheritance, spy)? Was the couple separated for many years? Does the story start with his return?

message 3: by C (new)

C | 7 comments I don't quite remember the why's behind kidnapping, but I do remember the hero's grandfather was a spy for the French at some point, but I don't think it was for Bonaparte. Maybe the old French kings? And I want to say his name was Philippe, but I'm not 100% on that.

I also remember that the kidnapping storyline was the last half or third of the book. If I remember more details, I'll post.

message 4: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4070 comments Mod
C ~~
You can "bump" your thread every month or so. This pushes your thread back to the top of the folder instead of languishing here on page 209 from seven months ago where fewer eyes will see it. Get back in the game! Bump!
You can do this by typing a new comment at the end of the thread, or even by typing the word "bump."
Good luck!

message 5: by C (new)

C | 7 comments Thanks Kate! I wanted to do that, but I had a hard time finding the post to do it, so I appreciate it!

message 6: by Kris (new)

C wrote: "Thanks Kate! I wanted to do that, but I had a hard time finding the post to do it, so I appreciate it!"

That's a common problem. One way to quickly view your comments (on the full Desktop website) -- Click your profile image in the upper-right corner, then select "Comments" in the drop-down menu.

message 7: by C (new)

C | 7 comments Bump!

message 8: by Kris (last edited Jan 11, 2020 07:36PM) (new)

Is it definitely her husband or possibly fiancé/betrothed?

Was the heroine rich/titled before she married? Who are her parents/family?

Does she become romantically involved with her friend? Was he a childhood friend? How long is her husband gone? Is he imprisoned nearby or in a different country? (Spoilers are okay - just give us a clear warning before revealing a spoiler.)

Is it set in London?

message 9: by C (new)

C | 7 comments Potential spoilers ahead...

She was never romantically with the friend, though he had designs on her for their entire friendship. It was the familiar trope of childhood neighbors and one falls for the other, but the second doesn't reciprocate the feelings.

I remember that the bulk of the book took place in London, and when the Duke was prisoner, he was at a house in the country near London that had dogs. Either big, scary guard dogs or some kind of kennel? But it was definitely her husband whose death was faked.

I don't remember much about her parents. But I think her mother had died years prior, and I can't recall the details about the father.

Hope this helps!

message 10: by Kris (new)

How and where does she think he died?

message 11: by C (new)

C | 7 comments More potential spoilers...

If I remember right, he was shot in a boat on the Thames. Maybe right in front of her?

message 12: by C (new)

C | 7 comments bump