The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > Battle of the Captain Marvels

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Phillip (last edited Apr 07, 2019 12:39PM) (new)

Phillip Murrell | 288 comments Who would have thought that DC and Marvel would have movies of their Captain Marvel debut a month a part? That being said, which did you prefer: Captain Marvel or Shazam!? I thought both movies were fun to watch. Both will be added to my Blu Ray collection. Though the MCU is superior in every way to every other film franchise (in my opinion), I have to admit that Shazam! wins in my book.

I think Marvel has the better superhero, but Billy Batson is probably the greatest alter ego in comics. Carol Danvers doesn't stand a chance. The Kree/Skrull background was a better setting, but I enjoyed Shazam! a lot more. Captain Marvel did one thing that made the ending hard for me:

(view spoiler)

Again, where do you stand? Did you prefer one over the other or do you feel they were about the same?

message 2: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3909 comments I can't really answer since I'm appalled that they made the Shazam movie a comedy. It could have been killer with Dwayne Johnson as Black Adam in the "understandable villain" role. Instead we get dumb jokes. Well, jokes I think will be dumb since I haven't gotten past the trailer.

Captain Marvel was not all that and a bag of chips for me, but was a decent setup for Avengers Endgame. Lots of retconning there, but what the hey.

Both films will go into profit, but Captain Marvel will make a whole lot more. Overall I'm glad the superhero films are being made. I will probably see Shazam. On Netflix.

Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth | 1861 comments Why are these films being compared? I mean, granted I've only seen Captain Marvel, but based on the Shazam trailer, they seem like totally different animals. I know nothing about Shazam, but from the trailer it looks kind of like Big, but with super powers. It's so weird to put these films against one another. Cheese is great when I'm hungry, but not what I reach for when I want to write on a chalkboard.

message 4: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Murrell | 288 comments It's simply because both main characters are Captain Marvel.

Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth | 1861 comments Isn't the name just a coincidence though? They're not related in any way, right?

What's next? Will we be making a big deal of two people called Martha?... :P

message 6: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3909 comments Oh. Hm. *deep breath* A quick history of the name "Captain Marvel" for those who aren't obsessive comics readers like, say, me. Glossing over a lot of the details, it goes about like this...

Billy Batson was the original Captain Marvel going back to 1939, published by Fawcett Comics. He was granted powers by an ancient wizard, and transformed by saying SHAZAM, the first letters of the names of seven gods. (Well, Solomon was human, but anyway.) Captain Marvel sold so well the title outpaced Superman. This pissed off DC which considered the character a ripoff of Superman. Legal shenanigans ensued and DC wound up with the character, promptly burying it for decades.

Marvel Comics long around the 1960s had a history of taking DC-like heroes, giving them personal problems and interpersonal conflicts, in contrast to the boy-scout style heroes of DC. Mar-Vell was among those characters. Also called "Captain Marvel," he was a Kree warrior who took his place among humans. He also not so coincidentally switched places with a human upon banging together two "nega bands" worn on the wrist.

Mar-Vell died in an incredible graphic novel "The Death of Captain Marvel" by Jim Starlin. It's amazing. Really. Just go read it.

Carol Danvers took up the moniker of "Ms Marvel" following a battle to recover her mind after Rogue held her too long and stole her memories permanently. After a time she took the name Captain Marvel, losing the qualifying "Ms."

So there's two characters with a legit claim to the name Captain Marvel. Purists will say there's only one - Billy Batson - but the law would say otherwise. And the last month's worth of box office results show there's plenty of love for both.

message 7: by Iain (new)

Iain Bertram (iain_bertram) | 1300 comments Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth wrote: "Isn't the name just a coincidence though? They're not related in any way, right?

What's next? Will we be making a big deal of two people called Martha?... :P"

Because Captain Marvel (Shazam) dates back to 1939, before Marvel comics was even a glint in Stan Lee's eye.

The trademark lapses and Marvel made their own Captain Marvel in 1967 so when DC bought Captain Marvel back in the seventies they had to rename the comics, hence, Shazam.

I will see the movie at some point and hope some of the heart of the character is left there.

Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth | 1861 comments Consider me schooled twice! Thanks for the info guys.

But what I meant was that the characters are not related - they don't share a world and they are very different people, particularly in the film adaptations, and it is the films that are being compared. It just seems weird to me.

message 9: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8291 comments Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth wrote: "Consider me schooled twice! Thanks for the info guys.

But what I meant was that the characters are not related - they don't share a world and they are very different people, particularly in the f..."

It was just a hook to start a convo. Don’t overthink it.

But it *is* a weird coincidence that both Captain Marvel movies are released at the same time, but it’s amazing to me that we live in a time that this is even happening. I mean, outside of comics fans, I doubt 99.9% of the population had even heard of either of these characters before their trailers dropped.

message 10: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8291 comments Phillip wrote: "Who would have thought that DC and Marvel would have movies of their Captain Marvel debut a month a part? That being said, which did you prefer: Captain Marvel or Shazam!? I thought both movies wer..."

I haven’t seen Shazam yet but from the very first trailer I thought they did a great job in the casting. If you’re going to do Big as a superhero then Zachary Levi is the perfect choice. I can’t think of too many other actors who could do that. Will Smith, maybe.

I do like Captain Marvel quite a lot. I like how they shunted the typical origin story to the B plot and made the story about current events, namely refugees and perpetual war. They took the straightforward “good v. bad” that a lot of movies and comics use and subverted it.

In this century alone we’ve had, what, 50 or 60 superhero movies? How many times can you do the same old origin story and maintain the audience’s interest? Spider-Man Into the Spider-verse is the only recent one I’ve seen that put a new spin on the origin tale.

Marvel has done a few amazing things that have never been done before, because the MCU is unique in cinema history, but the one least mentioned is that they did away with secret identities. Literally the only character in the MCU who is not known to the public at large is Peter Parker. To discard a trope that has been fundamental to the superhero genre since day one (quite literally; it’s baked into Superman’s first appearance)... that is kind of amazing. It’s as if Marvel said, “Yeah, we’re making Westerns but there will only be one horse.”

message 11: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Murrell | 288 comments Trike wrote: "It was just a hook to start a convo. Don’t overthink it."

Another connection is actor Djimon Hounsou is in both movies.

message 12: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Murrell | 288 comments "Trike wrote: "Literally the only character in the MCU who is not known to the public at large is Peter Parker."

If you count the Netflix shows, then Daredevil also fits that mold.

message 13: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8291 comments Phillip wrote: ""Trike wrote: "Literally the only character in the MCU who is not known to the public at large is Peter Parker."

If you count the Netflix shows, then Daredevil also fits that mold."

I was thinking strictly of the films. I don’t think Luke Cage is secret, but that’s not his real name, so he has a sort of double-secret identity. I don’t recall what Green Arrow’s current status is, but every other CW hero has a secret identity.

message 14: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3909 comments Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth wrote: "Consider me schooled twice! Thanks for the info guys.

But what I meant was that the characters are not related - they don't share a world and they are very different people, particularly in the film adaptations, and it is the films that are being compared. It just seems weird to me."

No schooling intended, only sharing! But I think you're just playing along. Anyhoo...

For the general public, yes, there's no connection. But to fanboys, like, well a few of us here, there's an inexorable connection because of the way Marvel so clearly lifted the name and setup. It's not a kinda/sorta thing like Elongated Man and Mr. Fantastic. Both stretch and are extra smart, but the resemblance stops there. Captain Marvel was an obvious derivative. But yeah, it's only fanboys who would know, and they're a small part of the movie audience. Even fewer of the fanboys would care, but we're out there.

message 15: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 3506 comments Mod
John (Taloni) wrote: "I'm appalled that they made the Shazam movie a comedy."

My only experience of Shazam is the TV show from my early teens. (Mid 70s) So hearing it's a comedy makes sense for me. That was always light drama with a bit of comedy.

I never read the comic.

message 16: by Nils (new)

Nils Krebber | 182 comments The coincidence is fun - and after I heard a lot of good Things about Shazam, I will probably watch it as well. One question I have not yet found the answer to - is Shazam supposed to be part of the DCU?

message 17: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Murrell | 288 comments Shazam! (Like Deadpool said about Wham!, it earned the exclamation point) is in the DCU.

message 18: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6740 comments Mod
So I'm generally a Marvel fan over DC, except for Batman, but the last few DC movies have nearly ruined that for me as well.

I had basically zero knowledge of Shazam going in and I found the film a lot of fun. It sounds like it wasn't supposed to be fun, but instead be darker/serious like all the last few? I don't know. That hasn't been working well for me. The only other DC movie I've liked in the last few years was Wonder Woman.

That said, I liked Captain Marvel better. Both are origin story movies, but Captain Marvel jumps in where she already has powers and Shazam is the more traditional story where they go from nobody to hero.

message 19: by Christos (new)

Christos | 165 comments I thought CM was generic crap but not as horrible as Thor 2 or antman 2. I haven't seen Shazam yet

message 20: by Ben George (last edited Apr 13, 2019 08:12AM) (new)

Ben  George | 66 comments Weirdly enough, if you like the "Shazam!" movie, his all ages stuff has been far superior in the last 10-15 years imo.

message 21: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6187 comments Did you know that Brie Larson (Captain Marvel) was "Envy" in "Scott Pilgrim"??