Play Book Tag discussion

Dutch Girl: Audrey Hepburn and World War II
This topic is about Dutch Girl
April 2019: History > Dutch Girl: Audrey Hepburn and World War II - Robert Matzen - 3.5 Stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Audrey Hepburn spoke little of her life during WWII because it caused her such pain. This book gives the reader a historical context into Audrey’s life as well as her family during this time.

Her uncle being killed by the Nazi’s not only a traumatic event for the entire family, but it is a painful memory that stuck with Audrey for the rest of her life. He was a good man and central to the family. Her mother's history, was remarkable, something I knew little about. Ella was enthralled by Hitler, meeting him in 1935 and being a firm believer until some time after the occupation of the Netherlands and she began to see the brutality of this man. During interviews as an adult, Audrey did not talk about this aspect of her family history understandably, but we can gather from all that Audrey did do that she was not in agreement with her mother’s viewpoints.

My favorite chapter was about Audrey and Anne Frank. Both girls were the same age, living in the same country at the same time, but their lives took drastically different paths. These similarities affected her and guided her with her most valuable mission later in life, that of the protection and welfare of children working with UNICEF. Audrey Hepburn’s youth and young adulthood was impacted by the atrocities she witnessed, giving her the empathy and compassion she had, especially for children,

There was much research into this book, this history of the Netherlands and Hepburn’s family. While it felt more like a history book than a biography, this book is well worth the time if you want to know more about this country and its people during the occupation of the Nazi regime.

Thanks to NetGalley and GoodNight Books for this ARC.

message 2: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7117 comments Sounds interesting-Loved Audrey when I was girl-my sister and I would play dress up and fight about who got to be her! LOL

Olivermagnus (lynda214) | 1907 comments This looks good. I'm adding it to my TBR.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

If you aren't a non-fiction fan this book may not be for you. It is full of history, which I love of course. I love Audrey Hepburn and loved this book. I learned several new things about her.