75 Books...More or Less! discussion

The Song of Achilles
This topic is about The Song of Achilles
Book Buddies > The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited May 28, 2019 02:57PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 7651 comments Mod
Juli and I will be reading The Song of Achilles in the near future, June 3! Join us! I'm now on a Greek myth kick! It's available on Kindle Unlimited!

Sophie (sophiexxelise) | 18 comments I just read this one last week. I’m reading “The Silence of the Girls” by Pat Barker right now which is a totally different narrative on Achilles and life in the Troy war camps. Let me know what you think! I absolutely love Miller as an author but I thought her take on Achilles was a bit...woobified.

message 3: by Elyse, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sophie wrote: "I just read this one last week. I’m reading “The Silence of the Girls” by Pat Barker right now which is a totally different narrative on Achilles and life in the Troy war camps. Let me know what yo..."

Claire had recommended The Silence of the Girls in the Circe thread! I've got it on hold on Overdrive.

Claire  | 19 comments These are two completely different ways to look at the story. The Song of Achilles my review focuses on the men while Pat Barker The Silence of the Girls review Is about the suffering of woman during war. They both are excellent, but Pat Barker’s was one of the best books I read the past years.

message 5: by Joanne (last edited Apr 07, 2019 03:05PM) (new)

Joanne | 544 comments I have put on hold a copy but I have two weeks to wait.

message 6: by Elyse, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shooting for Apr 20 to start this!

message 7: by Juli, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Juli | 1857 comments Mod
Elyse wrote: "Shooting for Apr 20 to start this!"

I will try to join you by then. I have several LONG books on my TBR for this month and I am trying to intersperse them with short stories. I hope to have finished a few longer ones by April 20 and will then join you.

message 8: by Juli, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Juli | 1857 comments Mod
@Elyse, did you start yesterday? I'm thinking of waiting until this upcoming weekend. I want to try to finish Wuthering Heights and Watchmen. I might also want to start Jane Eyre.

message 9: by Elyse, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Juli wrote: "@Elyse, did you start yesterday? I'm thinking of waiting until this upcoming weekend. I want to try to finish Wuthering Heights and Watchmen. I might also want to start Jane Eyre."

I did not. I really need to finish The Stand first.

message 10: by Juli, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Juli | 1857 comments Mod
Elyse wrote: "Juli wrote: "@Elyse, did you start yesterday? I'm thinking of waiting until this upcoming weekend. I want to try to finish Wuthering Heights and Watchmen. I might also want to start Jane Eyre."

I ..."

Let's postpone for now!

Carol (carol07) | 2732 comments Juli wrote: "@Elyse, did you start yesterday? I'm thinking of waiting until this upcoming weekend. I want to try to finish Wuthering Heights and Watchmen. I might also want to start Jane Eyre."

Juli, let me know when you start Jane Eyre. It is on my to read list. I have an old copy with beautiful gothic artwork.

message 12: by Juli, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Juli | 1857 comments Mod
Carol wrote: "Juli wrote: "@Elyse, did you start yesterday? I'm thinking of waiting until this upcoming weekend. I want to try to finish Wuthering Heights and Watchmen. I might also want to start Jane Eyre."

Ju..."

Theoretically, I want to start this before the end of the month. It is on my April goal list. It doesn't look too good,lol, so realistically I will start it first thing in May. I can make us a buddy read discussion if you want :)

Carol (carol07) | 2732 comments Juli wrote: "Theoretically, I want to start this before the end of the month. It is on my April goal list. It doesn't look too good,lol, so realistically I will start it first thing in May. I can make us a buddy read discussion if you want :) "

That would be great. I need something official to hold me accountable. Otherwise, I would just keep pushing it out and out and out...

Early May is a great start date.

message 14: by Juli, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Juli | 1857 comments Mod
Carol wrote: "Juli wrote: "Theoretically, I want to start this before the end of the month. It is on my April goal list. It doesn't look too good,lol, so realistically I will start it first thing in May. I can m..."

I am on it!

message 15: by Elyse, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Song of Achilles we can push out, if you don't mind, Juli!

message 16: by Juli, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Juli | 1857 comments Mod
Elyse wrote: "Song of Achilles we can push out, if you don't mind, Juli!"

Yes, that works for me too. I have too many books to finish before the end of the month :p

When do you think is a reasonable start date?

message 17: by Elyse, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Juli wrote: "Elyse wrote: "Song of Achilles we can push out, if you don't mind, Juli!"

Yes, that works for me too. I have too many books to finish before the end of the month :p

When do you think is a reasona..."

At this point I'm thinking the beginning of June.

message 18: by Juli, Moderator (last edited Apr 24, 2019 11:30AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Juli | 1857 comments Mod
Elyse wrote: "Juli wrote: "Elyse wrote: "Song of Achilles we can push out, if you don't mind, Juli!"

When do you think..."

Ok, let's plan on that! Could you edit your top post to reflect a June start date, in case, others want to join? :) Thanks!

message 19: by Juli, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Juli | 1857 comments Mod
Elyse, are you still planning on early June?

message 20: by Elyse, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Juli wrote: "Elyse, are you still planning on early June?"

Yes, I'm thinking (hoping) next Monday, June 3.

message 21: by Juli, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Juli | 1857 comments Mod
Elyse wrote: "Juli wrote: "Elyse, are you still planning on early June?"

Yes, I'm thinking (hoping) next Monday, June 3."

Ok, I'll try to start the same day!

message 22: by Elyse, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I started today! I still need to focus on getting through Catch-22 so this will be a little slower than normal reading unless I really get into it or quit Catch-22. lol

message 23: by Elyse, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm about 15% in. Didn't realize it wouldn't be in Achilles' POV, just thought it would be. lol. I have preconceived notions about the history because I just finished The Silence of the Girls. IDK who is right. lol.

message 24: by Elyse, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

30% through. Enjoying it! I'm liking it more than Circe, maybe because I'm more familiar with Achilles in general. I love Chiron!

message 25: by Elyse, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm halfway through now.(view spoiler)

message 26: by Elyse, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I finished it last night and really enjoyed it but wasn't entirely in love with the ending. (view spoiler)

message 27: by Juli, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Juli | 1857 comments Mod
Elyse wrote: "I finished it last night and really enjoyed it but wasn't entirely in love with the ending. [spoilers removed]"

Elyse, I am so sorry I left you hanging with this buddy read! I am glad you enjoyed the book. I am hoping to get to it next month.

message 28: by Elyse, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Juli wrote: "Elyse wrote: "I finished it last night and really enjoyed it but wasn't entirely in love with the ending. [spoilers removed]"

Elyse, I am so sorry I left you hanging with this buddy read! I am gla..."

It's alright, you had real-life goings-on! It was really good, I hope you like it! I look forward to your thoughts!

message 29: by Juli, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Juli | 1857 comments Mod
Elyse wrote: "Juli wrote: "Elyse wrote: "I finished it last night and really enjoyed it but wasn't entirely in love with the ending. [spoilers removed]"

Elyse, I am so sorry I left you hanging with this buddy r..."

Thanks.