Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Tongues of Serpents (Temeraire, #6)
This topic is about Tongues of Serpents
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Tongues of Serpents [Aug 25, 2019]

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4417 comments Mod
Tongues of Serpents - Naomi Novik
Tongues of Serpents (Temeraire, #6) by Naomi Novik
August 25, 2019.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 1337 comments I need to remember this one!! I need to start here. This is where I stopped. 😳

Dustin (tillos) | 51 comments Not entirely fond of this one, but it has its moments, so I'll try to join in.

This is the lowest rated book of the series, but only 0.4 or so less than the average.

Kathrine | 1246 comments I'm gonna be very late for this one, as my copy still hasn't arrived even though I ordered it three weeks ago and I think it might have been lost D: I'll write to BD if it still hasn't showed up in a week :(

Dustin (tillos) | 51 comments I was stalled a bit after discovering all my audible files are obsolete. Hat to wait until I could redownload it.

But I'm some way into it now.

Dustin (tillos) | 51 comments Chapter 3: He's baaaaaack.....

message 7: by Dustin (last edited Sep 02, 2019 10:58AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dustin (tillos) | 51 comments Done. Or as done as I'm going to get. I will not read the final two or so chapters. I can't explain why, but they really taint the rest of the book, so I just ignore them.

My god there is a lot of bickering in this book. That's all I say for now.

Anni | 5020 comments Kathrine wrote: "I'm gonna be very late for this one, as my copy still hasn't arrived even though I ordered it three weeks ago and I think it might have been lost D: I'll write to BD if it still hasn't showed up in..."

That's really annoying? Did you get it now?

Siobhan and me want to delay the BR for a month and start this on September 25th, instead of August. Would you like to join us?

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7559 comments Hi guys, sorry I haven't posted here, been in a bit of a slump, but I've just finished the audiobook of this one. It took hardly any time.

I enjoyed this a lot more second time round, which I'm really pleased by. I think maybe because the audiobook narrator is so engaging. He just made the story seem more interesting to me! I love the characters.

That's interesting Dustin that you won't reread the last few chapters! I actually really like the ending of this one.

Kathrine | 1246 comments @Anni: sorry for the late answer – I FINALLY got a copy of the book after a bit of back and forth with Book Depository about whether the original copy they sent was lost or just delayed. They did send a new copy though and I’m pretty sure that’s the one that has now arrived xD

I’d love to join you if you’re reading it now!

I started a few days ago and so far I’m actually enjoying it a lot? It might just be my immense love for Australia or that I can’t not enjoy a Temeraire book ... I’m through chapter 10 and there are certainly enough mysteries to keep me reading although the story does progress a bit slower than what I would have liked

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7559 comments Glad you're enjoying it, Kathrine! There are certainly mysteries to keep you going. I don't mind a slow pace sometimes. Maybe we have a higher tolerance for it since reading Hobb! 😅

message 12: by Anni (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anni | 5020 comments Yay, I'm glad you both like it (so far :) ), I restarted the book today and I'm already around 28 % in the middle of chapter five. I agree, the pacing is quite slow, but it's a quick read and I just love Temeraire :)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Siobhan wrote: "Glad you're enjoying it, Kathrine! There are certainly mysteries to keep you going. I don't mind a slow pace sometimes. Maybe we have a higher tolerance for it since reading Hobb! 😅"

That's actually a great hypothesis! We've been trained to endure xD

message 14: by Dustin (last edited Oct 09, 2019 09:59AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Dustin (tillos) | 51 comments Siobhan wrote: "That's interesting Dustin that you won't reread the last few chapters! I actually really like the ending of this one. "

(view spoiler)

message 15: by Anni (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anni | 5020 comments So I finished this one as well and I don't enjoyed it that much... It wasn't bad exactly, but for me it felt a bit all over the place. Maybe it was because I switched to the english audiobooks instead of the german ebooks, but the story doesn't felt well-rounded to me and I had a little trouble understanding what the hell is going on at times. I've liked the second half a little better (view spoiler), than the first half... I really don't mind slow books, I for example love Robin Hobb's books and The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet and Thick as Thieves, which all have a lot of wandering around but somehow Tongues of Serpents didn't do it for me... I really don't see the point of those (view spoiler) and as much as I love Temeraire, I somehow found this book a little boring and I missed some of the great conversations Laurence and Temeraire had before and some characters growth sprinkled in. Maybe there was a little bit there with (view spoiler)

So 2.5 Stars from me, I'm not quite sure whether I want to round it up or down... I have to think about it a little more

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7559 comments Sir Anni wrote: "So I finished this one as well and I don't enjoyed it that much... It wasn't bad exactly, but for me it felt a bit all over the place. Maybe it was because I switched to the english audiobooks inst..."

Sorry you didn't enjoy this one as much, but if it helps, I think that is the general consensus - so you're not alone!

RE the tunnels - (view spoiler)