Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Empire of Ivory (Temeraire, #4)
This topic is about Empire of Ivory
39 views
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Empire of Ivory [Jun 25, 2019]

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (last edited Apr 07, 2019 07:18AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4615 comments Mod
Empire of Ivory - Naomi Novik
Empire of Ivory (Temeraire, #4) by Naomi Novik
June 25, 2019.


Saar The Book owl | 2021 comments Jumping in on this one. Have read the previous ones and then stopped.


Dustin (tillos) | 51 comments Don't like this one as much as 3 overall, but has more feels.


Dustin (tillos) | 51 comments I never thought about how spoilery the summaries for these books are, especially this one. I just continued to read them because I liked the series. Had I read the summary, it would have ruined the early chapters of this book for me.

Anyway, I've started.


Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7802 comments Yes! I hate when blurbs spoil so much of the story. And definitely don't read the blurb for the next book ahead in this series, they negate the need to even read these ones!

I've started too. Through chapter 2, and I'd forgotten how emotional I found this book! It's giving me all the feels! (view spoiler)


message 6: by Dustin (last edited Jun 26, 2019 08:54PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dustin (tillos) | 51 comments I also love Arkady. I adore Temeraire and company, but I was so ready for a dragon that just doesn't give a damn what humans think. Being the one dragon that doesn't talk puts him at a disadvantage, and his goals are rather simple, but he is lots of fun.


message 7: by Dustin (last edited Jun 26, 2019 09:16PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dustin (tillos) | 51 comments The exaggerations of the ferals makes you wonder how anything is communicated at all if one dragon turns into ten or flying five days becomes a flight around the world. Perhaps they only exaggerate when it's obviously false, for the fun of it, completely aware of how silly they're being. Only lying when it's doesn't matter because everyone knows they're lying. In the same way Chinese dragons will steal in the open and shrug, but completely lose their mind if someone steals from them directly.

Perhaps the way you commit a crime (lying and stealing) matters far more to them than which crime. Stealing a goat that was neglected is fine, but stealing from them under the table, where they can not supervise is completely across a line.

Also laughed at:

"I am sorry; any gormless imbecile can bandage up a bullet-wound, and a gormless imbecile you are very likely to be assigned in my place. But I cannot stay..."


Dustin (tillos) | 51 comments Also loved this from Chapter 2:

(view spoiler)


Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7802 comments Dustin wrote: "I also love Arkady. I adore Temeraire and company, but I was so ready for a dragon that just doesn't give a damn what humans think. Being the one dragon that doesn't talk puts him at a disadvantage..."

Yes that's what's so good about him I think. He might let someone ride him but he's definitely in charge! XD


Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7802 comments Dustin wrote: "Also loved this from Chapter 2:
.."


😂😂❤️


Saar The Book owl | 2021 comments I'll start somewhere this weekend, after wrapping up a couple of other books.


Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7802 comments Dustin wrote: "The exaggerations of the ferals makes you wonder how anything is communicated at all if one dragon turns into ten or flying five days becomes a flight around the world. Perhaps they only exaggerate..."

I liked that line too. Love the surgeon he's so blunt and honest.

With regards to the exaggerations, I assumed they don't do it when it matters, ie life or death. Remember in the last book when they were putting on a bit of a play for themselves and it was some ridiculously convoluted soap opera that Laurence couldn't follow? XD That's kinda how I pictured Arkady telling his exaggerated tale! Just to show off and entertain.


Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7802 comments Saar The Book owl wrote: "I'll start somewhere this weekend, after wrapping up a couple of other books."

Fab! I'll still be here :)


Dustin (tillos) | 51 comments Arkady is the cat of dragons. Feed me, amuse me, or leave me alone.

While dragons like Tem are dogs. They want constant love and pets.


Saar The Book owl | 2021 comments Siobhan wrote: "Saar The Book owl wrote: "I'll start somewhere this weekend, after wrapping up a couple of other books."

Fab! I'll still be here :)"


Glad I won't be alone :)


Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7802 comments Dustin wrote: "Arkady is the cat of dragons. Feed me, amuse me, or leave me alone.

While dragons like Tem are dogs. They want constant love and pets."


Hahaha nice comparison!


Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7802 comments Chapter 5 - (view spoiler)


Kathrine | 1246 comments Started a week or so ago but got caught up in exam and graduation stuff, so I've only had time to continue reading this book today – so far I like it!

Chapter 1–4: (view spoiler)


Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7802 comments Kathrine wrote: "Started a week or so ago but got caught up in exam and graduation stuff, so I've only had time to continue reading this book today – so far I like it!

Chapter 1–4: ..."


Totally agree we need a bit of comic relief! I love it.
(view spoiler)


Kathrine | 1246 comments Siobhan wrote: "Kathrine wrote: "Started a week or so ago but got caught up in exam and graduation stuff, so I've only had time to continue reading this book today – so far I like it!

Chapter 1–4: ..."

Totally ..."


Yes I really love when we get to see Temeraire interacting with other humans than his own crew!


Kathrine | 1246 comments Finished Part II

(view spoiler)


Saar The Book owl | 2021 comments I've finished Chapter 3.

(view spoiler)


Kathrine | 1246 comments Finished! 4 stars

Part III: (view spoiler)


message 24: by Anni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anni | 5020 comments Saar The Book owl wrote: "I've finished Chapter 3.

[spoilers removed]"


That's really interesting, because to be honest I find her a little annoying 😅 (view spoiler)


message 25: by Anni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anni | 5020 comments I'm 25% done and I agree, this book is more emotional than the rest. (view spoiler)


Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7802 comments Sir Anni wrote: "Saar The Book owl wrote: "I've finished Chapter 3.

[spoilers removed]"

That's really interesting, because to be honest I find her a little annoying 😅 [spoilers removed]"


Yeah I see that as (view spoiler)


Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7802 comments Sir Anni wrote: "I'm 25% done and I agree, this book is more emotional than the rest. "

(view spoiler)


message 28: by Dustin (last edited Jul 05, 2019 01:11PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dustin (tillos) | 51 comments Chapter Five: (view spoiler)


Saar The Book owl | 2021 comments I think that (view spoiler)


Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7802 comments Saar The Book owl wrote: "I think that [spoilers removed]"

I also loved how Jane handled her!! Excellent XD


message 31: by Anni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anni | 5020 comments I finished the book yesterday :) It was great, so far I enjoyed this one and the first most.

(view spoiler)


Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7802 comments Sir Anni wrote: "I finished the book yesterday :) It was great, so far I enjoyed this one and the first most.r ..."

Glad you enjoyed this! I loved rereading it. This was the best one since the first for me too. I rated it 5 stars originally and still stand by that for all the emotion I felt!


Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7802 comments Kathrine wrote: "Finished! 4 stars

Part III: [spoilers removed]"


(view spoiler)


Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7802 comments Dustin wrote: "Chapter Five:
in th..."


That really was so funny! XD Laurence is so uptight he would definitely have been blushing.


Kathrine | 1246 comments Siobhan wrote: "Kathrine wrote: "Finished! 4 stars

Part III: [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)


(view spoiler)


message 36: by Siobhan (last edited Jul 06, 2019 03:44AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7802 comments Kathrine wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "Kathrine wrote: "Finished! 4 stars

Part III: [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

[spoilers removed]"


(view spoiler)


Saar The Book owl | 2021 comments I'm starting chapter 7.
One thing got me thinking: (view spoiler)


Saar The Book owl | 2021 comments Dustin wrote: "Chapter Five:

--- "He went out to collect Temeraire, whose profoundly smug and indecorous satisfaction might have put him to the blush..."

I'm pretty certain Chp 5 is the funniest chapter in th..."



I think also that was the funniest chapter.


Kathrine | 1246 comments Siobhan wrote: "Kathrine wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "Kathrine wrote: "Finished! 4 stars

Part III: [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

[spoilers removed]"

The French here are definitely more progressive in that they..."


Yes, exactly!

And also re: British Parliament: the one thing that always gets me is the voting system they have – it's so old-fashioned and slow? xD But it gives us more of John Bercow's amazing voice so I don't mind that much haha


Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7802 comments Kathrine wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "Kathrine wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "Kathrine wrote: "Finished! 4 stars

Part III: [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

[spoilers removed]"

The French here are definitely more progress..."


I think you watch way more of our parliament in session than I do... 😂😂


Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7802 comments Saar The Book owl wrote: "I'm starting chapter 7.
One thing got me thinking: [spoilers removed]"


(view spoiler) If you need any reminders of the previous books ask away! I'll do my best having just reread them. My memory is still dreadful though. XD


Saar The Book owl | 2021 comments Thanks, Siobhan. That's the problem about reading the series not right away.

Also about the sick dragons:
(view spoiler)


Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7802 comments Saar The Book owl wrote: "Thanks, Siobhan. That's the problem about reading the series not right away.

Also about the sick dragons:
[spoilers removed]"


No worries! (view spoiler)


message 44: by Dustin (last edited Aug 22, 2019 07:55AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dustin (tillos) | 51 comments Siobhan wrote: "Saar The Book owl wrote: "Thanks, Siobhan. That's the problem about reading the series not right away.

Also about the sick dragons:
[spoilers removed]"



(view spoiler)


back to top

unread topics | mark unread


Books mentioned in this topic

Empire of Ivory (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Naomi Novik (other topics)