Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Black Powder War (Temeraire, #3)
This topic is about Black Powder War
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Black Powder War [May 25, 2019]

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4417 comments Mod
Black Powder War - Naomi Novik
Black Powder War (Temeraire, #3) by Naomi Novik
Starting May 25, 2019.

Kathrine | 1246 comments I'm gonna join the BR of the series from this book and on :D

message 3: by Nika (new)

Nika | 12 comments Me too. I finished the second one back in December and have been waiting impatiently for the group to get to book 3!

message 4: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica (raivynwolf) | 670 comments Definitely joining for this one!

Anni | 5020 comments I started this a little early yesterday, because I was in the mood for some dragons :)

I'm already 70% done and sadly I don't enjoy it as much as the first two... I really like the characters and the world but the plot is a little boring and feels somehow repetitive...

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7559 comments Sir Anni wrote: "I started this a little early yesterday, because I was in the mood for some dragons :)

I'm already 70% done and sadly I don't enjoy it as much as the first two... I really like the characters and ..."

Sorry you're not enjoying it so much! The series does have some highs and lows. Can't remember much about this one so I'm looking forward to rereading!

Dustin (tillos) | 51 comments Siobhan wrote: "The series does have some highs and lows. "

While I consider this to be one of the highs.

I have noticed that readers most often get most frustrated with every third book (3, 6, 9). Not that readers are without complaints for the others.

I suppose my favorites are 1, 3, 5, 8, 9

Anni | 5020 comments I don't think it's bad, I just don't like the first 2/3 of this as much as the first two. The ending was again very good, I gave it 3.5 stars :)
(view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7559 comments Will make a start this weekend hopefully. :)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Prologue: I totally forgot everything that happened in Throne of Jade, so I couldn't really keep up with what was going on here – still, I was very sad for the dragon; it reminded me a lot of (spoilers for final ep of Game of Thrones) (view spoiler)

Chapter 1–3: (view spoiler)

Kathrine | 1246 comments Chapter 4–5: (view spoiler)

Chapter 6–8: (view spoiler)

message 12: by Anni (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anni | 5020 comments Kathrine wrote: "Chapter 4–5:"

Re Chapter 4 - 5: (view spoiler)

message 13: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica (raivynwolf) | 670 comments I'm probably not going to be able to start until Tuesday or Wednesday. :( My library doesn't have any copies available and I'd really like to buy a physical copy of this one instead of the ebook.

But I'm excited to keep reading about Laurence and Temeraire!

Kathrine | 1246 comments Sir Anni wrote: "Kathrine wrote: "Chapter 4–5:"

Re Chapter 4 - 5:"

(view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7559 comments I'll be here Jessica! I'm doing the audio so I'll be slower than normal!

Kathrine | 1246 comments Finished! 3, maybe 3.5 stars

I agree with Anni's sentiment, I didn't enjoy this as much as the first two plot-wise (felt a bit repetitive to me, too), though there were a lot of good elements and character development.

Lien: (view spoiler)

The warfare: (view spoiler)

I have more thoughts and I'll try to post them tomorrow if I have time

Dustin (tillos) | 51 comments Kathrine wrote: "Finished! 3, maybe 3.5 stars ..."

Might like this Lien short. Came with the three book edition:

https://withthingsunreal.tumblr.com/p...

Kathrine | 1246 comments Dustin wrote: "Kathrine wrote: "Finished! 3, maybe 3.5 stars ..."

Might like this Lien short. Came with the three book edition:

https://withthingsunreal.tumblr.com/p..."

Thank you, I'll check it out! :D

message 19: by Dustin (last edited Jun 16, 2019 09:19PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dustin (tillos) | 51 comments As someone who loves dissecting fantasy cultures, I will say that the dragon "romance" story is sadly one of the only snippets we get of the dragon mindset in the series. It's a fun story all the same. I've described it as the dragon version of The Gift of the Magi.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7559 comments Sir Anni wrote: "Kathrine wrote: "Chapter 4–5:"

Re Chapter 4 - 5: I.."

I had forgotten that (view spoiler)

Dustin (tillos) | 51 comments Gotta say that I love Arkady. Would be interested in a short from his POV.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7559 comments Dustin wrote: "Gotta say that I love Arkady. Would be interested in a short from his POV."

Me too!! :)