Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Throne of Jade (Temeraire, #2)
This topic is about Throne of Jade
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Throne of Jade [Apr 25, 2019]

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4606 comments Mod
Throne of Jade - Naomi Novik
Throne of Jade (Temeraire, #2) by Naomi Novik
April 25, 2019.

message 2: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 1030 comments Starting it today.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7654 comments Starting in the morning :)

Terry | 258 comments I should be able to start tomorrow as well.

message 5: by Dustin (last edited Apr 25, 2019 05:55PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dustin (tillos) | 51 comments Started yesterday.

Temeraire is terrifying and adorable in these first few chapters.

Also, love these audiobooks.

For those who are just reading and haven't been tainted by Vance, I'm curious whose voices you imagine for the main dragons and humans as you progress.

Jessica (raivynwolf) | 681 comments Planning on starting this one tomorrow

Terry | 258 comments Dustin wrote: "Started yesterday.

For those who are just reading and haven't been tainted by Vance, I'm curious wh..."

Good question on the voices. I guess I hear Sean Connery's voice for all the male dragons...😁

message 8: by Siobhan (last edited Apr 26, 2019 10:01AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7654 comments Dustin wrote: "Started yesterday.

For those who are just reading and haven't been tainted by Vance, I'm curious wh..."

I had such a distinct voice in my head for Temeraire, and I'm losing it now that I'm listening to the audio on reread! So annoyed with myself. I HATE the narrator's voice for him. But his Laurence is spot on haha (for me).

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7654 comments Chapter 1 - (view spoiler)

Terry | 258 comments Siobhan wrote: "Dustin wrote: "Started yesterday.

For those who are just reading and haven't been tainted by Vance,..."

Despite my joke earlier about the dragon voices ( which was a reference to the movie Dragonheart), I totally agree Siobhan! The narrator’s voice does not match the voice in my head from the first book.

Terry | 258 comments Siobhan wrote: "Chapter 1 - ..."

They are so straightforward. (view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7654 comments Terry wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "Dustin wrote: "Started yesterday.

For those who are just reading and haven't been t..."

Haha sorry I totally missed your joke! I'm not familiar with that movie. 😅

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7654 comments Terry wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "Chapter 1 - ..."

They are so straightforward. Almost.."

I know what you mean. (view spoiler)

Terry | 258 comments Siobhan wrote: "Terry wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "Chapter 1 - ..."

They are so straightforward. Almost.."

I know what you mean. [spoilers removed]"

I agree about excellent reading. (view spoiler)

Jessica (raivynwolf) | 681 comments Just started this one today and totally agree with you guys so far. Loving the dynamic between Laurence and Temeraire!

Dustin (tillos) | 51 comments Terry wrote: " I guess I hear Sean Connery's voice for all the male dragons...😁"

I got the reference. I was actually considering him for Temeraire's instructor in the first book.

I recently asked this question for all dragon books and someone said something like:

"Sean Connery for all the male dragons and whoever played Saphira for the female dragons."

I don't know if that's a commentary on how few talking dragons we have in movies or not.

-------------

For those starting the audiobook with book 2, Vance actually started with a voice I liked more, but changed it as Temeraire aged.

But after reading these books a few times, I've wondered if Temeriaire wouldn't sound completely silly with a more dragon-y voice. His dialogue is often very childish. I imagine some of his lines with Smaug's (movie) voice and laugh. So I wonder if Vance changed the voice after realizing how Tem would talk.

There a brief sample of Temeraire's first voice at the end of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq1Af...

message 17: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth (fantasynerd365) | 1030 comments I'm still on chapter one, haven't had any time to read lately.

message 18: by Bea (new) - rated it 3 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Am I allowed to sneak in even though I already read it in advance?

Dustin wrote: "Started yesterday.

Interesting question. I actually don't have a specific voice for the dragons in my head. I never really paid attention to this, but I never give mental voices to characters in general. I just use my own 'mind voice' to subvocally recite what they're saying 😅

Jessica (raivynwolf) | 681 comments Elizabeth wrote: "I'm still on chapter one, haven't had any time to read lately."

No worries! Me too. Hoping to read more this weekend.

Jessica (raivynwolf) | 681 comments Bea wrote: "Am I allowed to sneak in even though I already read it in advance?
... I just use my own 'mind voice' to subvocally recite what they're saying 😅"

lol lol that's usually how my reading works too.

Terry | 258 comments I’m about 1/3 of the way through now, in ch5. I haven’t been as excited about this one so far. It’s a good story, just a little slow to this point it seems. Not bad, though.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7654 comments Terry wrote: "I’m about 1/3 of the way through now, in ch5. I haven’t been as excited about this one so far. It’s a good story, just a little slow to this point it seems. Not bad, though."

I agree this one's a little slow. I remember the ending being worth it though. :)

Dustin (tillos) | 51 comments Siobhan wrote: "I agree this one's a little slow. I remember the ending being worth it though. :) "

In retrospect, I feel like the first was abnormally fast paced for the series. Which is probably why people tend to fall off this series. They think the paced has lost it's steam, but in reality, she probably spent far more time tightening up book one and the rest are just normal speed.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7654 comments I adore this series on the whole and I'm glad I didn't let the pace put me off. I thought it worked well generally. :)

Terry | 258 comments I finished. The ending was was worth it, Siobhan! Overall, I did enjoy it and went with 3.5 stars. I think for me, it’s not so much that the pacing was slower, (view spoiler)

I look forward to continuing on with the story. I did notice that the covers of the books seem to get better as we get into the later books. I’m excited about that, too! 🤓 (I couldn’t find a dragon nerd emoji...)

message 26: by Niki Hawkes, I made it past GOTM... barely (new) - rated it 4 stars

Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller | 7211 comments Mod
Omg they sooo need a dragon nerd emoji. It would be my fav lol

Jessica (raivynwolf) | 681 comments I'm almost finished. The pacing has been a bit slow, but I've been having fun watching Temeraire grow as a character though so the slowness hasn't bothered me much.

Hoping to finish the whole thing today. I really love this series so far and I'm curious to see how this one ends.

Terry | 258 comments Niki Hawkes wrote: "Omg they sooo need a dragon nerd emoji. It would be my fav lol"

Haha, I thought there might be a lot of us who would need one of those!

Terry | 258 comments Jessica wrote: "I'm almost finished. The pacing has been a bit slow, but I've been having fun watching Temeraire grow as a character though so the slowness hasn't bothered me much.

Hoping to finish the whole thi..."

Me, too, Jessica.

Jessica (raivynwolf) | 681 comments Just finished! Really enjoyed it, though (like others said) not as much as the first one.

(view spoiler)

Terry | 258 comments Awesome, Jessica! I am wondering the same thing for the next one.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7654 comments Chapter 10 - (view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7654 comments Jessica wrote: "Just finished! Really enjoyed it, though (like others said) not as much as the first one.

[spoilers removed]"

I loved the ending too! It's exciting!

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7654 comments Finished! I enjoyed this just as much second time round :D

Terry | 258 comments Excellent, Siobhan! These characters are so likable, it’s easy to enjoy.

Jessica (raivynwolf) | 681 comments Glad you enjoyed it just as much on the re-read Siobhan!

message 37: by Dustin (last edited May 06, 2019 08:46AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dustin (tillos) | 51 comments General overview (view spoiler)

Dustin (tillos) | 51 comments End Spoilers:

(view spoiler)

Terry | 258 comments Dustin wrote: "General overview ....."

All good points, Dustin. I hadn’t thought of those, but that all fits. On your end spoiler, (view spoiler)

message 40: by Anni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anni | 5020 comments I finished yesterday :)

I was a little quiet throughout the whole read, but actually I think the story is relatively straightforward and there's not much to discuss.

I really enjoyed the book, Temeraire and Laurence are just adorable together! Still I agree with what most of you said, that the pacing was off... The first 3/4 of the book was rather slow and then everything happened all at once. Funnily the rushed ending bothered me more than the slow beginning :D

(view spoiler)

Looking forward to see what will happen next with Temeraire trying to change things.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7654 comments Sir Anni wrote: "I finished yesterday :)

I was a little quiet throughout the whole read, but actually I think the story is relatively straightforward and there's not much to discuss.

I really enjoyed the book, T..."

It's the solution to out solve all solutions!! 😂

Terry | 258 comments Siobhan wrote: "Sir Anni wrote: "I finished yesterday :)

I really en..."

Made it easy to satisfy everyone. I didn’t see it coming either.

message 43: by Loriidae (new)

Loriidae | 257 comments Finally making a start. I am almost through Chapter three. I read the first almost a year ago. It is an easy read and I am remembering details from the previous book fairly easily as they are mentioned in this one which is always a good thing.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Throne of Jade (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Naomi Novik (other topics)