2019 ♦Archives Buddy Read ♦ > Rachel & Denise - The Anubis Gates

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new) - rated it 3 stars

Denise (destiny_chan) | 5350 comments Mod
Rachel & Denise - The Anubis Gates

message 2: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new) - rated it 3 stars

How far have you gotten? I'll try to catch up. :)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 650 comments I only got to page 51! :)

message 4: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new) - rated it 3 stars

I'm reading it on Kindle, so I don't have page numbers, but I finished chapter 2. Off to an interesting start so far, but let's see where it's going!

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 650 comments Sorry for my lack of updates. I got hired on a new temp project this week and I ran out of mobile data on my phone... had limited internet time, been swamped! I got a bit of reading done though, will come back tmrw to update :)

message 6: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new) - rated it 3 stars

No worries, life happens!

I've been making fairly slow progress, though I'm halfway through now. Things have been getting a lot more interesting over the last couple of chapters, though I freely admit that I've had the occasional "Wait, WTF just happened...?" moment of confusion. It would help if the characters were better fleshed out, I think... they all seem fairly flat so far.

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 650 comments You're just a wee bit ahead of me! I'm up to 48% now.

I'm really liking it but you're right, I've had a bit of moments of confusion too lol. I've had to re-read some sections because the writing was a bit clunky or unclear. But otherwise I think it's really fun. I like the Jacky character a lot, hope we get to see more of her!

I really liked the part when Doyle was in the river and those tiny green men that Horrabin created were after him. Those were actually pretty creepy, and same with those scary voices threatening Jacky when she was in that weird jail ?? Yikes!

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 650 comments My prediction is that Doyle = Ashbless! When he was waiting for Ashbless to show up at the cafe, and while waiting Doyle then wrote out the poem, I thought that maybe it means that he was actually Ashbless in a former life or something lol. I guess I'll find out!

message 9: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new) - rated it 3 stars

Exactly my thought!

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 650 comments I really liked that poem!

message 11: by Rachel (last edited Apr 20, 2019 09:50AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 650 comments ok officially at the 50% part and starting part 2. i think you're past this part already but just in case: (view spoiler)

Rachel Bea (gekrepten) | 650 comments I don't normally take this long to read a book! Unfortunately I had a lot going on this past month including a family member dying so I wasn't giving as much attention to reading as I normally do.

I did love the book though, there were a few things I didn't like (like the gypsy stuff and Jacky doing brownface as a Hindu beggar) and I got confused with characters at times. I think I would have been less confused if I had been able to read the book without taking so many breaks. I own it so I will probably read it again. I gave it 4.5 stars but bumped it up to 5.

message 13: by Denise, Manufacturing Director (new) - rated it 3 stars

I meant to check in again and it promptly slipped my mind. I just finished it a couple of days ago as well. Unfortunately, for me it didn't work that well... I just wasn't hooked enough, so my attention wasn't 100% on the book even when I did get around to picking it up again, which in turn led to too much confusion. There were moments when I was really intrigued by what was going on, but also too many stretches where I just didn't care all that much about any of it.