What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA/Sci-Fi/Fantasy Group of teens (possibly delinquent) in some sort of facility end up going underground and enter a new world which is being destroyed as they travel along, possibly another universe, read in early 2000s/late 90s.

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lucas (new)

Lucas Necessary | 1 comments From what I remember, a group of young guys are at some facility, possibly a youth-correction type place. I think they had walls/fences to keep the youth locked in. They somehow end up in some sort of vehicle (I think) that goes underground. At some point they reach some sort of chasm and have to cross it, and I believe the vehicle is left behind. At this point they are in another "world."

As they travel along, it seems that they learn more about the land and its history, but the world is also dying off for some reason. It felt like a race to me. They find a cliff area that projects into utter blackness and this abyss calls to them to (possibly) throw themselves into it.

Eventually they are able to return to the surface/their world, and I think it's in a different location than where they started.

I read it in the lats 90s or early 2000s and it had no cover and just a plain, red hardback. (Library.) Haven't been able to locate it via any searching. Reminds me of some alternate-world things you might find on SCP-wiki.

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4072 comments Mod
Lucas ~~
You can "bump" your thread every month or so. This pushes your thread back to the top of the folder instead of languishing here on page 196 from six months ago where fewer eyes will see it. Get back in the game! Bump!
You can do this by typing a new comment at the end of the thread, or even by typing the word "bump."
Good luck!

message 3: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2037 comments Reminds me a bit of "The Edge of the World" by Michael Swanwick

http://www.fantasy-magazine.com/new/n...

message 4: by Blue (new)

Blue | 834 comments Michael Swanwick

Link for author on GR. Could not find link for book.