Reading the Detectives discussion

Spook Street (Slough House, #4)
This topic is about Spook Street
Mick Herron Buddy Reads > Spook Street by Mick Herron

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susan | 10030 comments Mod
Welcome to the fourth in the Jackson Lamb series; published in 2017.

WINNER OF THE CWA IAN FLEMING STEEL DAGGER

'Mick Herron is an incredible writer and if you haven't read him yet, you NEED to' Mark Billingham

Never outlive your ability to survive a fight.

Twenty years retired, David Cartwright can still spot when the stoats are on his trail.

Jackson Lamb worked with Cartwright back in the day. He knows better than most that this is no vulnerable old man. 'Nasty old spook with blood on his hands' would be a more accurate description.

'The old bastard' has raised his grandson with a head full of guts and glory. But far from joining the myths and legends of Spook Street, River Cartwright is consigned to Lamb's team of pen-pushing no-hopers at Slough House.

So it's Lamb they call to identify the body when Cartwright's panic button raises the alarm at Service HQ.

And Lamb who will do whatever he thinks necessary, to protect an agent in peril . . .

Please do not post spoilers in this thread. Thank you.

Only London Rules to go now, before the new book comes out. Can't wait...

Sandy | 2792 comments Mod
Boy was I upset at the beginning of this book! Unfortunately really can't elaborate in the non-spoiler thread.

I've already added my name to the library wait list for the June release.

Frances (francesab) | 384 comments Just started reading this now and what an opening!

I don't think it's a spoiler to say I'm starting to find Lamb's disgusting habits and lack of hygiene annoying-it's hard to have a feature character that is so unappealing.

Sandy | 2792 comments Mod
All Herron's opening are memorable! I also enjoy his introductions to Slough House; this time it was the heating system.

And I am grateful I only spend time with an imaginary Lamb.

Lamb works so well because he is so unappealing. I love his 'pep' talks to his staff in the office.

message 7: by Bicky (new)

Bicky | 332 comments Starting and already miss Catherine Standish. A minor quibble - Samit does not seem like the name of a Muslim of Bengali descent.

message 8: by Bicky (new)

Bicky | 332 comments Susan wrote: "Lamb works so well because he is so unappealing. I love his 'pep' talks to his staff in the office."

The ability of a really good writer. Give a character a bunch of unappealing characteristics and use them to make him irresistible. In this case, his sadism.

Roman Clodia | 813 comments I find Jackson Lamb's OTT-ness positively Dickensian - and isn't it the best 'cover' ever? While he distracts with his deliberately disgusting habits, he's secretly ten steps ahead of everyone else.

I also see him as an affectionate inverted tribute to Smiley: so polite, reserved and gentlemanly, who never seems to get his hands dirty... however Machiavellian his schemes may be.

message 10: by Bicky (new)

Bicky | 332 comments Roman Clodia wrote: "I find Jackson Lamb's OTT-ness positively Dickensian - and isn't it the best 'cover' ever? While he distracts with his deliberately disgusting habits, he's secretly ten steps ahead of everyone else..."

I am not very sure about being ten steps ahead. Definitely not in Dead Lions.