Reading the Detectives discussion

Angel with Two Faces (Josephine Tey, #2)
This topic is about Angel with Two Faces
Buddy reads > Angel with Two Faces by Nicola Upson

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susan | 9644 comments Mod
This is the second in the Josephine Tey series, published in 2009.

Inspector Archie Penrose invites Josephine Tey down to his family home in Cornwall so she can recover from the traumatic events depicted in "An Expert in Murder". Josephine welcomes the opportunity, especially since Archie's home is near the famous Minack open-air theatre perched on the cliffs overlooking the sea. However, Josephine's hopes of experiencing a period of rest are dashed when her arrival coincides with the funeral of a young man from the village who had drowned when his horse inexplicitly leapt into the nearby lake. When another young man disappears and the village's curate falls from the cliffs of the Minack Theatre onto the rocks below, Josphine and Archie begin to suspect the involvement a cold-blooded murderer. As Josephine and Archie try to unravel the mystery, they begin to see death as an angel with two faces - one gazing at the violence in the present, the other looking back to the crimes hidden in the past.

Please do not post spoilers in this thread. Thank you.

Susan | 9644 comments Mod
Welcome to the second Josephine Tey mystery. I am about halfway in now and, personally, were I Tey, I think I would refuse to travel anywhere, ever again!

Judy (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejudyg) | 8610 comments Mod
Susan wrote: "Welcome to the second Josephine Tey mystery. I am about halfway in now and, personally, were I Tey, I think I would refuse to travel anywhere, ever again!"

I agree, Susan! I will be interested to hear what you think of this book - I enjoyed the first book in the series more and struggled with this one, but I think it could make for some good discussion.

This is a popular series - who else is reading along?

Roman Clodia | 758 comments I've read this and agree it's much darker than the first book - I have the feeling that readers looking for a 'cosy' will loathe it... It's perhaps mis-packaged by the publishers.

I enjoyed it, though, and liked the background we get to Archie's family.

Sorry, I just posted a comment here which was meant to be in the spoiler thread, though it didn't have any real spoilers - I have deleted it here and reposted, anyway.

I agree it is probably wrongly packaged, and I didn't enjoy as much as the first book, although I did like the beautiful Cornish setting.

message 7: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 2635 comments Mod
I was indifferent to the first book (and can't remember much about it) so will be concentrating on my active series. I'll still follow the conversations as I enjoy others opinions even when I have none of my own.

message 8: by Susan in NC (last edited Apr 12, 2019 06:25PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 2579 comments I didn’t read the first, but this was good, but dark - in my review I said it reminded me of Cold Comfort Farm without the humor - and with murders added in!

Frances (francesab) | 364 comments I am reading this series and quite enjoying it, but agree that this one was much more grim than the previous one.