Hugo & Nebula Awards: Best Novels discussion

Challenges - Discussion > Ends May 31, 2019: Earth Day Challenge <No Spoilers>

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (last edited Apr 06, 2019 11:09PM) (new)

Kateblue | 3779 comments Mod
For the Earth Day challenge, I'm picking Spin by Robert Charles Wilson because I just read something else by him and really liked it.

message 2: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2551 comments Mod
That was quick, Kate! I had very limited options, to be frank, so I went with The Genocides by Thomas M. Disch. I have a few other titles off the list, but I would like to save those for our more in-depth group discussions. I know very little of this novel except that it's a spin onpopular at the time theme of "plantocalypses", where plants or other basic cell organisms take over the planet or something along those lines.

Now that I think about it, Earth sticking it to the man is as good theme as any to celebrate the Earth Day!

message 3: by Antti (new)

Antti Värtö (andekn) | 801 comments I've been thinking of reading more from Zelazny, so This Immortal could be my choice. Let's see if I have time for that, though.

message 4: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2551 comments Mod
Antti wrote: "I've been thinking of reading more from Zelazny, so This Immortal could be my choice. Let's see if I have time for that, though."

I am also planning to get through all the other reading material first before getting to that challenge. In case you will get to it eventually I will probably do a re-read with you. I've read it last over a decade ago and the most of the details are eluding me now.

message 5: by Allan (new)

Allan Phillips | 2084 comments Mod
Did I miss something? Where did this challenge come from, and what are the guidelines for book choices?

message 6: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2551 comments Mod
Allan wrote: "Did I miss something? Where did this challenge come from, and what are the guidelines for book choices?"

Up top, on the home page. It's just a light challenge to celebrate the Earth Day. The bookshelf to pick titles from is in the description.

Here's the link:

https://www.goodreads.com/challenges/...

message 7: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

Art came up with the idea and I thought it was a good one--read something for Earth Day.

Maybe next year we can get it together early enough to share a book, but since it's a last minute edition, just pick a book off of the https://www.goodreads.com/group/books... bookshelf and have at it!

There's no reward or anything.

message 8: by Allan (new)

I'm game, but I haven't decided which I'll read. Between This Immortal, Julian Comstock & The Dying Earth, more than likely.

message 9: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2551 comments Mod
Allan wrote: "I'm game, but I haven't decided which I'll read. Between This Immortal, Julian Comstock & The Dying Earth, more than likely."

Go "Team This Immortal"!

message 10: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (last edited Apr 09, 2019 09:56AM) (new)

Art | 2551 comments Mod
Just realised the other day that I haven't got a copy of This Immortal anymore, so I went a-hunting and a good thing I did! Found a whole bunch of his novels I've never read, so this year I can treat myself to one or two.

Christmas came early this year.

message 11: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Acorn (new)

Oleksandr Zholud | 3715 comments Mod
I may join This Immortal

message 12: by Allan (new)

I was looking at the shelf and found three short options that I may just read as a grouping to flesh out the challenge: This Immortal, Juniper Time & The Genocides. The latter I found in PDF form for free on ePub, along with several other older H/N titles.

message 13: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

thanks for the info, allan. I will go look at ePub sounds good!

Is that the name? ePub.com? or is it ePub.org if it's freebees?

message 14: by Allan (new)

I don't have it handy but I'll post the site first thing in the morning.

message 15: by Allan (new)

The site I found is https://epdf.tips

I have no idea what the copyright laws are covering this site, but there are quite a few sites like it. Nor do I know the range of what's there, but it looks like an eclectic mix of older, odd stuff. I was just looking for The Genocides, and when I found that, started checking for some of the more obscure books on the H/N list. I did find Gather, Darkness! and JG Ballard's The Drowned World, which seems to be a rare used book (a classic eco-fiction, but didn't get awards).

message 16: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

Thank you, Allan. I have bookmarked it and will look for neat stuff soon.

message 17: by Allan (new)

I'm enthused by this challenge. So enthused that I created a Roll-Your-Own challenge in Worlds Without End called "Apocalypse 2019". Basically anything in the "Dying Earth" sub-genre, which includes many of the books on our Eco-Fiction shelf. Join in if you like!

message 18: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2551 comments Mod
Hmm "Apocalypse 2020" sounds like a great campaign slogan.

message 19: by Allan (new)

For either side, depending on your political views....

message 20: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2551 comments Mod
I used WWE to pick many of the books for our bookshelf, I just omitted those which make part of a larger series.

WWE's been of great help, thanks for introducing it. In fact, between us moderators we were looking into introducing many more fantasy folders and maybe another category or two.

This event is pretty exciting, especially if we get to discuss the same books. I will probably read The Genocides as well if I have the time for it.

message 21: by Allan (new)

Since I created the WWE challenge and have posted other eco-fiction want-to-reads, I went ahead and started in on This Immortal, if anyone wants to join in.

message 22: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2551 comments Mod
Allan wrote: "Since I created the WWE challenge and have posted other eco-fiction want-to-reads, I went ahead and started in on This Immortal, if anyone wants to join in."

Will join you gladly, so lead the way!

message 23: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Acorn (new)

Oleksandr Zholud | 3715 comments Mod
I plan to join, but maybe in a week - I have a few books to finish first

message 24: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (last edited Apr 15, 2019 06:19PM) (new)

Art | 2551 comments Mod
Started on This Immortal last night and had to force myself to put it down and go to bed. Not that the opening of the book is particularly engaging, it is one of those Zelazny openings that are somewhat confusing and "abstract", making it hard to follow at times. Call me biased, I love his writing and I couldn't wait to get back to it the next day.

Gotta absolutely love his explanation on difference between 'pantheism' and 'animism'.

message 25: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

I bought a copy of "This Immortal" so I could read it with you guys. I can read Spin anytime.

message 26: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2551 comments Mod
In case anyone curious about a rather obscure reference on James Joyce, the quote is as follows:

In a letter to his brother, James Joyce wrote, “Rome reminds me of a man who lives by exhibiting to travellers his grandmother’s corpse.”

Having lived there for some time I can attest to the truth, however partial, of that statement.

message 27: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (last edited Apr 17, 2019 09:03PM) (new)

Art | 2551 comments Mod
Could literally find only meager 15 minutes to read This Immortal tonight, but I've gotta say it gets better and better as story progresses and picks up pace and intensity. Zelazny has a way to sneak up on you with a plot twist, one after another even. Too early to say, but I might be bumping up my rating for this one.

message 28: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

Will be starting This Immortal soon. But I have to get back to Radch! Reading Redshirts now. I'm at about 20% and I'm not enjoying it is much as the first time. Though I'm not really having trouble with the "saids," I can notice them if I try. So I won't try.

message 29: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Tate | 338 comments I'm not on the Immortal train. I picked out The Inverted World, as it's the only one I could find in my nearest library.

Anyone here read it? It's not a short read, so it will probably take me through to the end of the challenge.

message 30: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2551 comments Mod
Sarah wrote: "I'm not on the Immortal train. I picked out The Inverted World, as it's the only one I could find in my nearest library.

Anyone here read it? It's not a short read, so it will probab..."

Not sure I've got a copy of that, but now that I'm almost done with The Genocides and Ancillary Justice, I might fit one more read into the schedule.

message 31: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2551 comments Mod
Allan, reading The Genocides I am hard pressed to say why this book was nominated for a Nebula award? Not that it's too bad, it's just a very (VERY) simple tale of survival in a sci-fi setting.

Very odd choice, I've read short stories written by high school sudents that were at least just as good.

message 32: by Sarah (last edited Apr 23, 2019 04:26PM) (new)

Sarah Tate | 338 comments Art wrote: "Not sure I've got a copy of that."

Do you normally have these lying around at home?

I don't have a lot of my own books. I'm a borrower.

message 33: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2551 comments Mod
I have a whole collection of Hugos and Nebulas on Kindle and a couple of friends who I share my books with. Having access to their collections is an amazing way to get access to the books I don't have.

On top of that, thanks to Kate we are constantly bombarded by amazing deals, it's easy to lose track of it all.

message 34: by Allan (new)

As I mentioned in another thread, check out the app for your local library or go to the Internet Archive, which is an online library with lots and lots of sci-fi books that are tough to find. All for free!

message 35: by Allan (new)

I didn't want to comment specifically in the No Spoilers thread, but I didn't find The Genocides to be that great either. An early version of the post-apocalyptic tale, it's been done better since then.

message 36: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

Sarah, I loved "the inverted world" so much I bought the Kindle when it wasn't on sale. It's been years and years though. I thought I would read it right when I bought it, but life intervened

message 37: by Allan (new)

The Inverted World was the first book I read this year, my choice for another group when my turn came up. I liked it but it as much as Juniper Time, which I just finished - a 3rd entry in the Earth Day Challenge.

message 38: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Tate | 338 comments I'm glad it has such glowing reviews from you guys! Feel like I made the right pick. I've one more book to read for work before I can start it though.

Art wrote: "I have a whole collection of Hugos and Nebulas on Kindle and a couple of friends who I share my books with."

That's neat. I need to make some new sci-fi friends so I can borrow their books haha. But my libraries are seeing me through for now.

message 39: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (last edited May 01, 2019 04:17PM) (new)

Art | 2551 comments Mod
I will probably have to settle for the two novels I've read last month for this challenge. Still have one Radch to work on and I'd love getting to my next Robot novel.