What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA book about a boy who gets his leg run over by a train

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

The Book Squirrel | 9 comments I read this book in the early 1990s. All I can recall is that a delinquent boy is train-hopping and when he jumps off, his leg is run over by the train. There's a description of his leg flapping open. He's stitched up and spends the next few months on crutches and in the end he's "changed" (more appreciative, grateful etc).

The Book Squirrel | 9 comments Can I bump this?

message 3: by Kris (last edited Jul 24, 2019 06:50PM) (new)

Kris | 32027 comments Mod
You bet. We encourage members to bump their requests every 30+ days. No sooner because this group is so large.

What is the story's time period and location (country/region/near a well-known city/town)?

Can you tell us more about the boy and his age/situation/family/why he's delinquent/etc.? Is he trainhopping alone? Who helps him get better?

message 4: by The Book Squirrel (last edited Jul 25, 2019 12:54AM) (new)

The Book Squirrel | 9 comments Someone read it to me when I was about 9, so I don't remember much :/ (General target audience would be 12 or 14+, though - the boy is a teenager, perhaps 14).
The scene of him getting his leg run over is pretty memorable, though. His calf is in strips.

It's set in the USA or Australia.

I THINK he lives with his mum, or he's in the foster system.
Title (MAYBE) is just one or two words (his name or an action verb or "The ___ ___").

Time period would be "modern" (set in the approximate time of publication), so probably 80s or 90s. No earlier than 70s, I'd say, and publication would be no later than about 1992 or 3.

He's trainhopping alone in the scene he gets hurt.

message 5: by SBC (new)

SBC (essbeecee) | 856 comments Is it Dear Miffy by John Marsden?

The Book Squirrel | 9 comments No. As far as I remember there wasn't a big romance element. Thank you, though.

message 7: by Pixiegirl105 (new)

Pixiegirl105 | 152 comments Does it have a part about a carousel in it?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Dear Miffy (other topics)