Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Looking for friends!

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Janna (new)

Janna Xo | 19 comments Hello, I’m Janna! I’m looking for people to connect with that share my love of books and good humor. Tell me about yourself! 😊

message 2: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Wheeler | 385 comments Hi, I'm Elizabeth. I love books. Right now I'm very into PNR. I especially love shifter books. But truthfully I just love a great story told by a talented story teller. Books that can mix drama and humor well are a special treasure. Welcome to Goodreads.

message 3: by Janna (new)

Janna Xo | 19 comments Thank you Elizabeth! You have good taste!

message 4: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Howard | 1 comments Hi Janna, Hi Elizabeth, I'm new too and would love to connect :) I love a good romance, better still if it has a touch of science fiction or fantasy. Equally fond of the classics, historical fiction and any fiction that takes place in the art world. Nice to meet you both!

message 5: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Wheeler | 385 comments Hi Victoria. I also enjoy story that are set in arts environments, especially dance. It's good to have you here.

message 6: by Bluerose (new)

Bluerose | 6 comments Hi Janna. I'm Joanna. I'm a book addict. I read many genres but mostly romance. Science fiction, paranormal, historical, contemporary you name it, just as long the characters and story is compelling.

message 7: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Wheeler | 385 comments Welcome Joanna. I love your user name Bluerose, it's beautiful. I'm also a book addict. I keep telling myself to stop buying new books until I've read the ones I already have. Well maybe just one more LOL. I hope you like it here. It's a great site.

message 8: by Jadira (new)

Jadira | 9 comments Hi All! My name is Jadira, Im from Aruba. I love books, Im currently using a kindle though since I can buy everything with one click and also English is not my first language, easier to reading on a kindle with help of the dictionary. I read Papiamento, Dutch, English and Spanish. I like to read; historical romance, mystery, YA fantasy, paranormal, thriller, science fiction, dystopia and so on. Greetz :)

message 9: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Wheeler | 385 comments Jadira wrote: "Hi All! My name is Jadira, Im from Aruba. I love books, Im currently using a kindle though since I can buy everything with one click and also English is not my first language, easier to reading on ..."
Welcome. I think it's wonderful that you can read in several languages. That must make reading authors who have different life experiences and perspectives really interesting. I hope you enjoy this site. I have found it both enjoyable and informative.

message 10: by Jadira (new)

Jadira | 9 comments Elizabeth wrote: "Jadira wrote: "Hi All! My name is Jadira, Im from Aruba. I love books, Im currently using a kindle though since I can buy everything with one click and also English is not my first language, easier..."

Hi Elizabeth, Thank you! Yes I love this site, Member since 2014.

message 11: by Kelly (new)

Kelly | 1 comments Hi- I love books as well. Romance, sci-fi romance, fantasy, and anything else that looks good.

message 12: by Ash (new)

Ash  Grey (angel_of_chaos) Hi everyone--- I love books as well but I like to stray from the cliched books but mind you sometimes these become my guilty pleasure (Its PMS you can judge but I won't give a F*** :-) )
Personally I love UF with a bit (okay a little more than a bit) romance and without fail a badass heroine .
Brownie points for heroine with an actual sense of humour/sarcasm/fighting skills or at least any talent (not a heroine that goes all goey eyed around the hero, you know)

message 13: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Wheeler | 385 comments Ashwini wrote: "Hi everyone--- I love books as well but I like to stray from the cliched books but mind you sometimes these become my guilty pleasure (Its PMS you can judge but I won't give a F*** :-) )
Personall..."

I get the humor part. I love when, even in the dark books, the author can use humor. Sometimes the things that get the best laugh from me are the snarky funny moments. Welcome to the site, it's a great place here for referrals and conversations.

message 14: by Ash (new)

Ash  Grey (angel_of_chaos) ..... Welcome to the site, it's a great place here for referrals and conversations
You are absolutely right about this part ;-)
I would say thank you but I have something better-
(sigh)

Prayer:
"May the Lord bless you with a good current read.
May the Lord make his face to shine upon you,
and be gracious to you in your future reads.
May the Lord lift up his countenance upon you,
and give you peace and pleasure on this website"
Amen.

PS: Sorry if I've offended anyone.

message 15: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Wheeler | 385 comments Ashwini wrote: "..... Welcome to the site, it's a great place here for referrals and conversations
You are absolutely right about this part ;-)
I would say thank you but I have something better-
(sigh)

Prayer:
..."

How could anybody be offended by such a kind prayer. His blessings are many, and books are definitely one of them.

message 16: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Aejaz (natalieaejaz) | 2 comments You can add me. I read a variety of genres and write PNR. Would love to connect.

message 17: by Mary (new)

Mary (marushka80) | 7 comments You can add me read many genres and lots of books all the time.

message 18: by M.A. (new)

M.A. Jewell | 25 comments Hi all! I’ve had a Goodreads account for a while, but recently discovered the groups. YES! I’m looking for friends who share my reading tastes. I like PNR, UF, Historicals, time travel, and the odd SciFi or two. Give me a tap😊😊

message 19: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michker) | 23 comments hi there you can add me i read many different genres and visit my goodreads everyday hit me up or drop a c omment to me anytime i will be your friend .

message 20: by Marian (new)

Marian Gray | 9 comments I'd love to connect as well if anyone is still interested. I love all types of fantasy and romance and am definitely looking for some people to share book recommendations with.

I'm on goodreads every day now and my newsfeed can get lonely sometimes lol

message 21: by Krista (new)

Krista  | 5 comments Marian wrote: "I'd love to connect as well if anyone is still interested. I love all types of fantasy and romance and am definitely looking for some people to share book recommendations with.

I'm on goodreads e..."

Mine gets pretty lonely to LOL, Years ago I was on Goodreads more than facebook. I fell off my reading wagon and hadn't been on here forever. But that's now changing, getting back on that wagon and back to this amazing community:)

message 22: by Marian (new)

Marian Gray | 9 comments Krista wrote: Mine gets pretty lonely to LOL, Years ago I was on Goodreads more than facebook. I fell off my reading wagon and hadn't been on here forever. But that's now changing, getting back on that wagon and back to this amazing community:)

This is me, too! I was obsessed with goodreads back in the day and as you said, I just fell off the wagon but am really motivated to hop back on.

message 23: by Krista (new)

Krista  | 5 comments Marian wrote: "Krista wrote: Mine gets pretty lonely to LOL, Years ago I was on Goodreads more than facebook. I fell off my reading wagon and hadn't been on here forever. But that's now changing, getting back on ..."

Me to, we can jump back on that wagon together:)

message 24: by Tianna (new)

Tianna Xander (tiannaxander) | 17 comments I'd love to connect as well. Please feel free to send a friend request. :-) I've been on Goodreads for a long time but I don't hang out much because I have no one to talk to.

message 25: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 7 comments Hi I'm Elizabeth I love PNR books and fantasy and ya adult books. I also listen to alot of audiobooks. I had goodread for yrs but never really tried the forum. It would be great to talk about the books everyone is reading.

message 26: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 7 comments Marian wrote: "I'd love to connect as well if anyone is still interested. I love all types of fantasy and romance and am definitely looking for some people to share book recommendations with.

I'm on goodreads e..."

How's it going? What are you reading now? I'm reading the Captive Fae series by Lily Archer.

message 28: by April (new)

April | 41 comments Hi everyone, I am addict for the printed word. I love to read and read. Mostly I read paranormal, thrillers, contemporary romance. You can add me as a friend. I hope to hear from you soon. Sour Sugar.

message 29: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Wheeler | 385 comments Welcome. I'm Elizabeth also:) I have gotten great recommendations here. I also enjoy the chats. I hope you have a good time here as well.

message 30: by Marian (new)

Marian Gray | 9 comments Elizabeth wrote: How's it going? What are you reading now? I'm reading the Captive Fae series by Lily Archer.

Captive Fae is on my to-be-read list. What did/do you think? I'm really excited to start it.

Right now, I'm tackling A Spell for Death

message 31: by Luna (new)

Luna Joya | 1 comments Hi! I'm Luna, and I love sexy paranormal romance and urban fantasy. Currently reading the fifth in the Charley Davidson series. Just finished the fourth in the Kate Daniels series.
Feel free to add me!

message 32: by Maria (new)

Maria | 10 comments Hi Luna! I love Reyes! He’s hot! Enjoy!

message 33: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 7 comments Marian wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: How's it going? What are you reading now? I'm reading the Captive Fae series by Lily Archer.

Captive Fae is on my to-be-read list. What did/do you think? I'm really excited to st..."

Hi Marian the series is really fun I haven't read a fae world like this in a while, with an ongoing adventure with more pairs of characters. There is a book release every month so far. I'm enjoying the 1st couple Taylor and Leander there a major plot twists that are keeping me interested.

message 34: by Her name is Rio (new)

Her name is Rio (her_name_is_rio) | 3 comments Hey everyone !

This is a slightly different comment.
I'm a 21 year old and I've been reading PNR books almost exclusively for the past 5 years.

And even though here on Goodreads, I have found Groups and Friends who enjoy the same genre I do and would never judge me, in real life I have a hard time telling people what kind of books I read.
When someone asks me what I read, my default answer is always "fiction and fantasy books" and I hope they leave it at that.

How do you explain to people what kind of book you read ? Do you ever not want to tell people that you read PNR ?

message 35: by Sasha (new)

Sasha Erin (sashae) | 2 comments Hi, Rio

I used to be embarrassed by my love of reading romance but the older I got, the less I cared what other people thought of my reading habits. There’s nothing wrong with reading PNR, or reading anything you love. It’s great to have passion for something. I’ve actually developed long lasting friendships because of our mutual love of romances. My advice is to surround yourself with likeminded people. Happy Reading!

message 36: by Karen (new)

Karen Mead | 10 comments I'll be honest, I don't fully understand the difference between UF and PNR. I know that PNR is more romance-oriented, but most urban fantasy series have at least one important couple with love scenes, so the distinction is pretty blurry in my opinion.

So if I'm not embarrassed by reading UF, which I'm not, then I have no reason to be embarrassed by reading PNR, because it's the same thing...sort of?

Okay, that made more sense in my head. Anyway I'm looking for people to talk to about the genre too, I've been on GR for a while but just not engaged for a long time; I'd like to change that.

message 37: by Karen ⚜Mess⚜ (new)

Karen  ⚜Mess⚜ | 49 comments Karen wrote: "I'll be honest, I don't fully understand the difference between UF and PNR. I know that PNR is more romance-oriented, but most urban fantasy series have at least one important couple with love scen..."

Always a fun question. Even more fun when you throw in Epic Fantasy.

If you took out the sex in the book would you still have a strong, well developed story? If the answer is yes then it's UF. If you read a book expecting hot, detailed sexy scenes and HEA then it's PNR.

Series like Kresley Cole’s Immortals After Dark and Lara Adrian’s Midnight Breeds is all about boy meets girl and they have sex. If you take these main points out, honestly, you'd have a lousy book.

Series like Ilona Andrews’ Kate Daniels and Jim Butcher’s Harry Dresden take out the sex (that's probably a couple of paragraphs) and the story still reads the same. The focus is on the development of the story.

I guess you could say it's all in the details.

Jo 'kittykat' Tortitude | 360 comments Karen wrote: "I'll be honest, I don't fully understand the difference between UF and PNR. I know that PNR is more romance-oriented, but most urban fantasy series have at least one important couple with love scen..."

Hi Karen. I could talk about this till the cows come home THB, so here is my take on it.

I like both but for different reasons, and that marks the differences between them for me and the reason why I pick each one up when I do. But, also I'm one of those 'odd' readers and very rarely will only read a PNR or UF (or any genre really) series on a release by release basis, I have no patience for that. I tend to start and read a completed series back to back although there are a few exceptions to that and this effects what I read and when too.

PNR is when the romance is the primary element of the story, the reason it was written, with everything else secondary to that plot. Not always, but ususally PNR includes paranormal creatures of some type, is written in third person, has a new couple [or poly 'ship] in every book, includes sex scenes, is episodic in value and the books can be read (more or less) as a standalone. But, there are many exceptions to each of these "rules".

UF is when the action/adventure and/or mystery is the primary element and the romance (if any) is background to the plot. Not always, but usually UF includes paranormal creatures of some type, is written in first person by a singular MC who may or may not have the same love interest throughtout the series or who may change love interests in various different books, but tends to be serialised, if not the whole way through (if a long series) but in various arcs that are covered by a number of different books. These tend to make little sense if read out of order. But, like with PNR, there are always exceptions to these 'rules'.

I would also say that it can also depend on what PNR and UF stories mean to people individually. For example. many people consider UF to have to take place in a city and in current times, whereas to me it means in a version of our world as opposed to a totally made up world like in high fantasy.

More examples; lots of readers consider Jeaninne Frost's Night Huntress series (and all it's spin offs) https://www.goodreads.com/series/6794... to be PNR but to me it is UF as the stories are much more than the romances with loads of action throughout. Same with Deborah Harkness's All Souls trilogy https://www.goodreads.com/series/6182... where much of what happens is because of the romance between the MC's (again I'm not keen on that part of it) due to the rules of the world that they are part of, but there is a ton of adventure and it's partly due to Diana's journey of self-discovery; to me it's UF with a major side of romance, with sci-fi (time travel and other aspects) thrown in for good measure.

Also, Wolfsong (be stil my beating heart!) and the rest of TJ Klune's Green Creek series is considered PNR but the macro story is rock solidly central to the books and the heavy themes of acceptance and belonging, and both found and blood family is much more prevalent to me than the romance between the two MC's in each one, despite the fact that I love them both (so far) and am sure to love the last two just as much. And TS Joyce's Damons Mountains Collection https://www.goodreads.com/series/2168... which is very definately PNR and comprises of 10 different series' (which could be considered seasons like with TV) but again the macro plot starts in book 1 and has an element at play in most of the books throughout albeit some much more so than in others.

Then there is Yasmine Galenorn's Otherworld/Sisters of the Moon series https://www.goodreads.com/series/4224... which is UF about three sisters, but each book in turn is 'narrated' by a different sister (Camille, Delilah and Menolly in that order) and spends some time in the human realm, some in the fae realm, and some in between the realms. Also includes quite heavy doses of romance and graphic sex, especially in the Camille books as she has a poly relationship with multiple men, whilst still retaining a lot of action.

Personally, I like my PNR to have some graphic sex as it adds to the building of the romance, but I dislike hate my UF to have graphic sex as it gets in the way of the plot. What I like both for is the worldbuilding if its good, and sometimes this is what draw me to a PNR series even if I'm a bit lukewarm on (some) the romances - Jennifer Ashley's Shifters Unbound is a prime example of this for me which is built around an excellent world with a really interesting series-long macro plot but find some of the romances a bit bland.

Anyway, so, thanks for reading todays essay!!! #it'sokifyoufellasleephalfwaythrough :)

message 39: by Karen ⚜Mess⚜ (new)

Karen  ⚜Mess⚜ | 49 comments LOL @ #it'sokifyoufellasleephalfwaythrough

message 40: by Sophie (last edited Aug 31, 2019 01:28AM) (new)

Sophie (romeowyn) | 29 comments Hi, Janna !

I'm also a big fan of PNR and UF. However, I tend to have, erm, quite unpopular opinions about PNR. Many well-loved books bored or annoyed me out of my mind, je Jeaniene Frost or Black Dagger Brotherhood for instance :/

My favourite PNR series are
- The Hidden Legacy series by Ilona Andrews. To my opinion, the best PNR. It balances between very interesting world building, believable-yet-balanced plot, great and not infuriating main characters, three-dimensional secondary characters, great magic, loads of tension and, above all, GREAT interpersonal dynamics. The dialogues can go from hilarious to very, very high stakes/tension (and not in a cheesy/cringy way) in two and a half sentences. The first series is out (three books) and the first book of the second series as just been published.
- Fever series by Karen Marie Morning : an imperfect series with a quite stereotypical male character but just enough magic and mystery to keep you really, really interested. The atmosphere of those books did it for me.
- A Flight of Magpies series, by K.J. Charles : set in Victorian London, a romance between a poor magician and a very, erm, grumpy lord. Very sweet and nice atmosphere.
- Wolfsong by T.J. Klune (already cited earlier) : indeed awesome. Made me cry a bunch.
- If you also like fae/faeries, you can also try the famous A Court of Thorns and Roses series. The first two books are pretty good and contrary to what I've seen, it is NOT YA.

UF :
- The Dresden Files : one of my favourite series in every genre ever. The first three books are okay on the side of good, the rest of it is increasingly awesome. Don't be afraid by the 16 books, I read it all in a year while reading other things and my husband read all of it in 4 months. It read THAT easy. Main character is a PI who happens to be a mage. Atmosphere is between True Detective and the darkest Harry Potter books, with lots and lots of snark.
- The first 5-6 Anita Blake books. You can read the rest of it if you want but from book 8-9 on, the sex takes something like two thirds of the books and the actual doing stuff (opposed to people, heh) is ridiculously small. However, the earlier books are amongst my favourite.
- The Kate Daniels books by Ilona Andrews : awesome worldbuilding, quite a bit of romance especially in the hilarious seduction between the two main characters, great characters, great pacing. Everybody go home.
- The Jill Kismet series by Lilith Saintcrow : I haven't read the end of the series yet but it's very good. It has romance in it and the main characters and worldbuilding are very original.
- The Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronovitch : set in London, it has a Neil Gaiman feel to it while being as gritty as few UF. Very good character development and slow but enthralling pacing.
- The Mercy Thompson series : really cool characters, original atmosphere, interesting magic and deep implications.

I also love fantasy, sci-fi, historical fiction (even if I tend to get easily angry at what I think is preposterous/severe misconstruction stuff but that might professional biais), graphic novels, romance, the occasional contemporary and many history and geopolitics books.

I'd gladly hear from you and exchange opinions and whatnot :))

message 41: by Karen (last edited Aug 31, 2019 10:18AM) (new)

Karen Mead | 10 comments kittykat: Interesting that you mention the All Souls trilogy as Urban Fantasy. The series is definitely too plot-heavy to be PNR, but I have trouble thinking of it as urban fantasy. Maybe it's because the whole series tends to take place in universities and castles (both in the present and in the past), it doesn't feel like it takes place in a city, thus I feel like it lacks the "urban" requirement.

Of course, thinking that UF must take place in the downtown area of a city would be ridiculously restrictive thinking, and I don't endorse that definition. It's just that certain series FEEL like UF to me, and other's don't. All Souls feels more like contemporary fiction that happens to have magic in it.

The thing that's interesting to me is that even though we can nail down sensible definitions of what these genres are, a certain amount of it comes down to gut feeling on the part of the reader.

Re: Dresden Files. I really do have to catch up on that series. I read the first 3-4 books and was kind of meh on it, but I know it supposedly gets much better from that point on. I had the same problem with Harry that I do with Rachel from Kim Harrison's The Hollows, he seems to do dumb things all the time that would get him killed if not for the fact that he happens to be the protagonist. That could just be me though.

message 42: by Jo 'kittykat' Tortitude (last edited Aug 31, 2019 12:33PM) (new)

Jo 'kittykat' Tortitude | 360 comments Karen wrote: "kittykat: Interesting that you mention the All Souls trilogy as Urban Fantasy. The series is definitely too plot-heavy to be PNR, but I have trouble thinking of it as urban fantasy. ..."

See this is the reason why I enjoy these discussions! ...

Your thoughts on that trilogy is why I said "For example. many people consider UF to have to take place in a city and in current times, whereas to me it means in a version of our world as opposed to a totally made-up world like in high fantasy." IMO the word urban is not a literal meaning so to speak. To me, the difference between UF and HF is between the setting being the real world as we know it, and a totally fictitious world that we don't. Also, [controvversial opinion here] fantasy doesn't have to include magic... I also don't just consider certain types of UF as the only examples; Kate Daniels, October Daye, Mercy Thomspon, Harry Dresden, Fever, Rivers of London, etc. These are certainly what I consider the 'stereotypical' types, but I also consider The Vampire Chronicles as absolute staples of the genre (I can hear many rounds of laughter coming here...!). Anne Rice wrote a series about vampires in our world. So, partly historical or not, it has a fantasy (vampires) and our world (New Orleans etc).

But as you say, same as I said it comes down to individual interpretations...

Karen wrote: "... The thing that's interesting to me is that even though we can nail down sensible definitions of what these genres are, a certain amount of it comes down to gut feeling on the part of the reader ..."

For example "Contemporary fiction that happens to have magic in it" as in A LOT of magic and a boatload of supernatural creatures, to me is the very definition of UF! Plus, A Discovery of Witches and Shadow of Night, much of those books take place in Oxford and London both of which are very much cities!

I do know what you mean by a series or book feeling like UF, I just probably have a much wider perspective of what that feeling is. Like as I mentioned in my OP, I think of Wolfsong as UF not PNR as the romance is not as big an issue as all of the other themes, but that is my interpretation of a deeply emotional story as I read it.

A major factor too is that much of the time, people tend to think of UF as being loud and boisterous like the many of the well-known series, and I disagree with this. I've read a few standalone books that are very much 'fantasy in our world', but with a much quieter and less chaotic feel to them. I would admit that I probably enjoyed those less than I did others, and certainly less than I wanted to, but it in no way took away from the definition of what they are.

I haven't read the Dresden Files, and am in no rush to as the series remains incomplete with long gaps between books, but I did read The Hollows, and though I enjoyed it mostly, I was sent totally off-kilter by the shenanigans of book 4/5... whenever that totally unexpected death occurred. I couldn't forgive the author for that, I was fuming lol!

Has anyone read Magic to the Bone (Allie Beckstrom, #1) by Devon Monk this series by Devon Monk? It is a different take on the UF in that there are virtually no supernatural creatures and magic is more scientific. It's one I recommend and gets virtually no mentions in these threads.

message 43: by P.C. (new)

P.C. Benson | 8 comments Hello everyone! I'm new to Goodreads, still trying to figure out how to navigate the site!

message 44: by Skyler (new)

Skyler Minnick (skylerslalawonderland) | 22 comments Hi I'm Bev. Semi new here! Still am trying to navigate as well!!

message 45: by Cozen (new)

Cozen | 420 comments Her name is Rio wrote: "Hey everyone !

This is a slightly different comment.
I'm a 21 year old and I've been reading PNR books almost exclusively for the past 5 years.

And even though here on Goodreads, I have found G..."

You could always use Urban Fantasy. Even though it’s less emphasis on the erotic aspects, it usually deals heavily with the paranormal. Otherwise, don’t sweat the small stuff. Do you really think that just because you don’t read a book convoluted with flowery pose or historical documentation, that you’re lacking in some way? Just throw in some other non PNR books in (like Rising Red) because most of the time people are just trying to find something to connect with one another.

Julie Book addict (bookaddict75) | 10 comments hi I been on goodreads for awhile I am always looking for people to chat with about books I love romance books mostly pnr :)

message 47: by Kiersten (new)

Kiersten Fay (kierstenfay) | 293 comments Hey all, because we are all so into PNR and UF, I'd love to be even closer to you. Send me a friend request so I can get to know you better.

-->Friend me here

message 48: by Inkslinger (new)

Inkslinger (the_inkslinger) | 18 comments They love to subgenre us to death. I miss being able to find all my favorite paranormal authors in one section.. rather than 3-4. lol