Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > Looking to beta

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrew (last edited Apr 06, 2019 06:17PM) (new)

Andrew Miotto | 15 comments Hey Lee,

Im not sure what your favorite genre is, but I have a completed and edited science fiction/fantasy novel. Its 105k words and is the first in a planned series of books. The plot revolves around three points of view and it introduces all of the major story threads that will unfold over the course of the series. The first point of view is a young scientist, second is a skilled ninja/spy, and the third is a high ranking official. The world is of my own making and I have been building it since 2013. If you're interested let me know and I can get you a link to the first half of the book. If the first few chapters pique your interest ill send you a full copy. Thanks!The Fundamental Forces: Book One

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello Lee!

If you would be interested I have an Urban Fantasy story that rests at about 67k words. I feel like I'm not the greatest at writing characters so maybe you could give me some helpful insight?

Here is a link to the first two chapters (~4.4k words) if you're interested: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1f...

I hope you're having a great night!

message 3: by Roa (new)

Roa | 16 comments Messaged you. Thanks for the offer!

message 4: by Sandor (new)

Sandor | 81 comments Hi Lee,
Glad to have you here. I have a 97K YA Fantasy and Science Fiction novel that doesn't shy away from the dark realities of life. It is the story of war, vengeance and family drama. I would like you to comment on world building, characters and their development, grammar, plot and give me an overall opinion on the story. Interested?
Best of wishes!

message 5: by Sandor (new)

Sandor | 81 comments Also, reach me at ssevov17@yahoo.com

message 6: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Miotto | 15 comments Lee wrote: "Andrew wrote: "Hey Lee,

Im not sure what your favorite genre is, but I have a completed and edited science fiction/fantasy novel. Its 105k words and is the first in a planned series of books. The ..."

Lee, here's a link to the first half. Any feedback you feel like sharing I would welcome! I really just want to know whether the book is interesting or not.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Twn...

message 7: by Kat (new)

Kat Devitt (kat_devitt_author) | 103 comments Hey Lee,

I like nitpicky! I'm seeking beta readers for a historical fiction short story that comes in at 2,131 words. It's set in the late fourteenth century and follows an unhappily in love bell ringer. It's appropriately titled, "The Bell Ringer's Story."

If you're interested, please contact me at katdevittauthor@gmail.com.

Best,
Kat Devitt

message 8: by David (new)

David Wilson | 105 comments Hi Lee, I have an 85K YA historical fantasy set in the 16th century. It involves lots or searching for maps and lots about birds. I'd love some nitpicking. If this sounds like your thing I'd love to hear from you.

David

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Lee wrote: "Jake wrote: "Hello Lee!

If you would be interested I have an Urban Fantasy story that rests at about 67k words. I feel like I'm not the greatest at writing characters so maybe you could give me so..."

Leaving comments on the doc is fine by me.

message 10: by Ravi (new)

Ravi  Krish (ravikrish) | 17 comments Lee wrote: "Hey guys, I'm looking to do some betareading. For me genre doesn't matter, but I always prefer to read books with unique, experimental concepts and strong character arcs. I just want to give a warn..."

Hi Lee,

I had completed my first work of Literary Fiction transpiring between India and China - 'An Other Tale of Two Cities - In the Dragon's Lair' about 3 years back.

I have been regularly improving the book based on feedback from my friends in the last 2 years. I think it has reached the Beta stage, ready for the last edits before publishing.

I am glad that you are offering your Beta reading to authors. I hope my work meets your interests.

'An Other Tale of Two Cities - In the Dragon's Lair,' is an epic saga - an intense Action-Adventure-Romance - that explores the sporting, cultural and political traditions, and exposes the contrasts and the rivalry between two modern nations and their strong personalities. Bordering on the Literary and told eloquently, the passionate ‘Tale’ offers several heart and mind whelming moments as also thrilling roller-coaster rides between Chennai in India and Shanghai in China.

A short back cover view of the book...

Two talented Table Tennis players, Kula and Jay set out on their journey from a small town near Chennai (previously Madras), India to win Gold at the 'Games' at Shanghai, China, against a formidable Chinese team. Along their journey they discover true and eternal friendship with Li Ling, a member of the Chinese Table Tennis team, who joins their magical voyage, highlighted by triangular love, humour and sacrifice.
They are constantly subverted by a bitter loser, a vengeful, vicious and venemous Deng. Soon, thanks to the adversary and his Godfather, a powerful ruling elite with his own ambition to become President, Kula is accused of stealing Chinese National secrets and as an Indian agent. He and his Chinese girlfriend, Li are on the run to escape the police dragnet and sure gallows for both. They are chased into the Shanghai suburbs by their nemesis and a shoot-out ensues...
Do the trio survive the 'waves of attack' of the persistent Deng?
‘Meet the dragon’, they did!!! But, beat the dragon, did they??? Be there ‘to watch from the front row’ each of their fights for possible Gold at the 'Games' at Shanghai!
Does Lt. Gen. Ping save the Chinese President from impeachment and an attempted coup?
Someone commented earlier, ‘Kula’s love will not get consummated’! Does the prophesy (or curse!) come true?
And who wins Kula eventually? Jay or Li? And how?

It’s a long book. (Almost 126,000+ words). The plot spans across Chennai and Shanghai, back and forth. The weakness is, it can’t be confined to one single genre. In fact, it has several story lines, each touching a different genre, while primarily a Romantic Adventure-Action, and the setting is sports (unsporting?) rivalry with a lot of Political drama (Domestic and International) and diplomacy. May be it is its strength!

I wanted someone expert to review and say if it’s good to publish. Who my readers would be? Who would be interested as a publisher? Also needed help to edit (copy edit? proof reading? I don’t know the difference). Can that someone help me get my book published?

I hope this subject interests you and you could help as a Beta Reader and reviewer. I hope I can get your answers to my questions.

Please let me know and also in which format would you want the book to be forwarded to you. I will send you the latest version of the book for your Beta review.

Thank you,
Best Regards,
Ravi Krish
Author
'An Other Tale of Two cities - In the Dragon's Lair'

message 11: by Ravi (new)

Ravi  Krish (ravikrish) | 17 comments As my story 'happens between India and China, I hope it interests you. I feel that your views would be welcome on my understanding of China...

Looking forward!!!
Ravi Krish
Author,
An Other Tale of Two Cities - In the Dragon's Lair!

message 12: by Erin (new)

Erin Kahn | 6 comments Hi Lee,

I'm looking for beta readers for my YA novel, Time and Tide (58K), which features Louisa May Alcott, Henry David Thoreau, and Nathaniel Hawthorne as young adults having adventures in 1800s Concord, Massachusetts. It's part historical fiction, part time-travel adventure.

I'm especially looking for character feedback, and I feel my characters have strong arcs, but of course that's a question for my beta readers!

Let me know if you're interested! You can reply here, message me, or email. Thanks.

Erin
erin_kahn(at)aol.com