Green Group discussion

The Big Melt
This topic is about The Big Melt
Green Group Authors > Can Fiction help save the Climate

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ned (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ned Tillman (nedsustainableus) | 28 comments How do we get more people to take a look at their lives and take more actions to slow the warming??? This is the questions I asked myself 2 years ago. I had written two earlier non-fiction books on learning how to live in balance with the natural world. I decided to write a novel to inspire a much broader audience to act. Fiction has been important in many other cultural movements. It is an approach we need to try. So I read a lot in this genre of eco-fiction or climate fiction. I found much of it dystopian. So I chose to write a coming of age novel that focuses on climate impacts that could hit any of us tomorrow. There is not too much of a leap of faith to realize these impacts are happening today. The goal is to engage, inform and inspire. I hope I have done this by merging a little fun, a little reality, and a little hope. Now of course the goal is how to get it out there in the hands of readers - always the challenge. Seems to me we need to get a group of like-minded folks to band together to help spread the word. Would love to hear your ideas. How do we get people to hear about these books that may have the potential to inspire action on saving our climate?The Big Melt

Clare O'Beara | 6048 comments Mod
Thanks, Ned. All shoulders are needed to turn this wheel.

One action we can each take is to write reviews of books dealing with nature, climate issues, pollution and biodiversity loss. We should place them on various sites, but remember that many sites copyright the contents of their pages so you may need to write fresh new reviews.

I only ever advocate writing a balanced, genuine review and rating. That way a reader gets to trust a reviewer and does not see them as blindly helping a friend or cause. A factual book should be well researched, and a fiction book should feel like a story, not an infodump.

If you want a review, Ned, I accept Pdfs and mobis and Amazon free download days. Feel free to message me through Goodreads.

message 4: by Ned (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ned Tillman (nedsustainableus) | 28 comments Clare - I would love a review. I have a pdf. Could you provide an email address? Thanks. ned@sustainable.us

message 5: by Clare (last edited Apr 04, 2021 04:24AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

I found a dystopian novel free today on Kindle. This is set in Canada after oil. By this time, the climate appears from the cover to have been changed, and society has become dangerous.

Eldorado
Eldorado by Jay Allan Storey
Fiction explores the potential we don't want to think about in our daily lives, and reminds us that today's society is a mere flash in the pan. Whether what succeeds it will be better, may be up to us.

message 6: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn Wilhelm (wilhcarm) | 12 comments I bought it. Thanks!

message 7: by Ned (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ned Tillman (nedsustainableus) | 28 comments Fiction helps us reach out to others where science can not go.
The Big Melt Ned Tillman

message 8: by Ned (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ned Tillman (nedsustainableus) | 28 comments fiction can help us visualize a future that may be hard to imagine from media reports

message 9: by Verity (new)

Verity Croker | 13 comments The beauty of eco-fiction is the reader can learn without realising they are. This is so important, especially for younger readers, as they internalise the messages without feeling like they have been accosted by an info-dump. My YA novel, Jilda's Ark, deals with environmental refugees, rising sea levels, and animal rescue.

message 10: by Hákon (last edited May 02, 2021 06:42AM) (new)

Hákon Gunnarsson | 30 comments I think you're right Verity. I was talking to a woman online about Maja Lunde's The End of the Ocean and she said that her brother had read that novel. When he finished it, he sold his car because he couldn't rationalise driving that kind of car to himself after the read. So I think it must have some effect on people, at least some people.