What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > a collection of short humorous stories. Woodcutter, skunk. Beautiful illustrations.

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by CINTHIA (last edited Apr 06, 2019 11:00PM) (new)

CINTHIA | 2 comments I read this book in the 80's and its beautifully illustrated. I know it had a few short stories. I did find and excerpt from one of the stories online but it didn't list the author or the name. this is the excerpt:

Every night when the woodcutter came home to eat his supper, his wife would start nagging him the moment he walked into the house. This night, as he dipped his spoon into his bowl of stew, his wife bleated, "There's a dead skunk floating in the pond outside. I can't eat until you get rid of it." "Now?" cried the woodcutter. "Must I do it now?" "Now!" cried his wife. "Get rid of that dead skunk now!" Meekly the woodcutter got up from the table, went outside to the pond, fished out the dead …

So the wife would force the husband to leave his dinner while he fishes out the skunk. His kids would eat his dinner and the poor man would go to bed hungry, this happened for like a week or two every night. Finally one night he comes home early and surprises the family and makes dinner. His family loves him and can't thank him enough until he reveals that he just cooked and fed them skunk.

message 2: by Kate (last edited Oct 11, 2019 07:31AM) (new)

Kate Farrell | 4072 comments Mod
CINTHIA ~~
You can "bump" your thread every month or so. This pushes your thread back to the top of the folder instead of languishing here on page 196 from six months ago where fewer eyes will see it. Get back in the game! Bump!
You can do this by typing a new comment at the end of the thread, or even by typing the word "bump."

message 3: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4118 comments Humorous stories by James Higgins maybe? That's the book that comes up in Google Books. You can see a cover here: https://www.amazon.com/Humorous-stori...