Space Opera Fans discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book and Author of the Month > May 2019 THEMED Nominations: Small Crew

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Teresa Carrigan | 2523 comments Mod
This thread is for nominations for THEMED category for May 2019.

THEMED books need to be currently in print on at least one platform, and fit the theme for the month. If there is no spaceship involved, then it must take place on another planet with a technological society. If it is part of a series, it needs to be suitable to being read without having read other books in the series. Frequently books in this category will be those from major publishers that are no longer in print as paperback (or haven't yet made it to paperback), but Kindle Exclusive books are allowed too. It is perfectly fine to nominate a book here that would qualify for one of our other categories.

CURRENT THEME: Small Crew. At least one of the main characters should be part of the crew (including officers) of a spaceship, where that crew numbers less than about 40. Passengers don’t count.

Some suggestions were posted on this thread:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

RULES:
* you may nominate one book on this thread.
* you may second as many nominations as you like on this thread.
* it is okay to nominate the same book on more than one nomination thread, as long as it meets the criteria
* don't nominate a book we already have on our bookshelf
* If a book you nominate or second is selected, you are expected to post at least one comment about it on the thread about the book.
* In about two weeks I will draw a book randomly, with each second being one raffle ticket for the book. That is, a book with three seconds (so four of us want it) will get three chances in the pool.

It is likely helpful if you know something about a book that has been nominated if you mention it in this thread, whether it is for or against the book.

message 2: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

My nomination is The Price of the Stars (Mageworlds, #1) by Debra Doyle The Price of the Stars by Debra Doyle. The main character is the pilot and owner of a freighter, and has no crew at all at the start, but she does end up accumulating several. Lots of action. I’ve read this series several times and want to reread it soon. It’s more fun when there’s a thread to discuss it.

message 3: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 17 comments I would like to offer the Butlerian Jihad by Brian Herbert. The very first pre-history of the Dune saga with the first Atreides ancestor flying around with his robot buddy.

message 4: by Debrac2014 (new)

Debrac2014 | 52 comments I second The Price of the Stars!

message 5: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Summary so far
The Price of the Stars (Mageworlds, #1) by Debra Doyle The Price of the Stars by Debra Doyle. Nominated by Teresa. Seconded by Debrac2014.
The Butlerian Jihad (Legends of Dune, #1) by Brian Herbert The Butlerian Jihad by Brian Herbert. Nominated by Sheri. Awaiting seconds.

message 6: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Our Themed Pick for May is The Price of the Stars.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.