Play Book Tag discussion

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Archive: Other Books > The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Karin | 6878 comments No summary here, but you can read it. Suffice to say it is written in first person POV of a boy with something--it's never named--that could well be Asperger's. But, as some say, if you've met one person with Asperger's you met one person with Asperger's (or autism).

Haddon does a great job of the POV and remains consistent. That said, I just didn't love this book or like it that much. Had I not been listening to it on audiobook (excellent reading of it, by the way), because my son was getting it read for an English class, I'd have ditched it as it really wasn't my cup of tea. That said, I can see why many have liked it.

Susie | 4488 comments I loved this book when I first read it, way before having an autistic child. I wonder what I’d think of it now.

message 3: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7644 comments Susie, I was just wondering what your thoughts on it were! I have not read it despite so many great reviews on PBT....

Susie | 4488 comments I might need to re-read it to find out.

message 5: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3031 comments I never read it but saw a play adaptation that was amazing.

message 6: by NancyJ (last edited Apr 07, 2019 10:54AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4887 comments I loved it the first time I read it, and certain scenes stuck with me for a long time. I didn't enjoy it as much when I listened to it last year, but I caught aspects of the story I didn't the first time around. I thought the audio was well done, but I was better able to feel the intensity of his experience when I read it myself.

I like your quote about Asperger's and autism. Each person on the spectrum is different. I read some scathing reviews criticizing the author for stereotyping or getting it wrong, e.g. "My brother has Asperger's and he doesn't (blah blah blah)..." I thought they were unfair because the author wrote one character, and didn't apply any labels to him at all.

Karin | 6878 comments NancyJ wrote: "I loved it the first time I read it, and certain scenes stuck with me for a long time. I didn't enjoy it as much when I listened to it last year, but I caught aspects of the story I didn't the firs..."

Nancy, I agree that he didn't totally stereotype; the character fit the story. That said, I have an Aspie cousin who has made a LOT of money as a corporate lawyer and co-founded one of Canada's top ten insurance defense litigation firms--I know little about it other than he does corporate law. BUT that's almost all he talks about and he is now cutting his hours down to 70 per week. He wouldn't have any of these issues in this novel, but he's ONE person and doesn't do any hiring or firing, etc.

Olivermagnus (lynda214) | 1903 comments I really enjoyed the crime solving aspect of this book. I recently read Rubbernecker by Belinda Bauer and some parts of it had me remembering The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.

Karin | 6878 comments Olivermagnus wrote: "I really enjoyed the crime solving aspect of this book. I recently read Rubbernecker by Belinda Bauer and some parts of it had me remembering [book:The Curious Incident of the Dog i..."

Yes, that part of the book was quite good.