Space Opera Fans discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book and Author of the Month > May 2019 READER Nominations

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Teresa Carrigan | 2341 comments Mod
This thread is for nominations for READER category for May 2019.

READER books need to be currently in print in both paperback and ebook, and readily available through most of the normal places to get books (both online and brick and mortar stores). They must be Space Opera, which means a spaceship has to be involved in the story somewhere. If it is part of a series, it needs to be suitable to being read without having read other books in the series.

RULES:
* you may nominate one book on this thread.
* you may second as many nominations as you like on this thread.
* it is okay to nominate the same book on more than one nomination thread, as long as it meets the criteria
* don't nominate a book we already have on our bookshelf
* If a book you nominate or second is selected, you are expected to post at least one comment about it on the thread about the book.
* In about two weeks I will draw a book randomly, with each second being one raffle ticket for the book. That is, a book with three seconds (so four of us want it) will get three chances in the pool.

It is likely helpful if you know something about a book that has been nominated if you mention it in this thread, whether it is for or against the book.

Recently nominated and seconded, so would be good to nominate again:
Hellhole by Brian Herbert
The Witches of Karres by James H. Schmitz
The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell
Relentless by Jack Campbell

message 2: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin | 44 comments I’ll nominate The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell again. Incredible book.

message 4: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Kirsten wrote: "I nominate The Hyperspace Trap by Christopher G. Nuttall"
That appears to be an Indie book, not a book from a traditional publisher. Please nominate it on the Indie Nominations thread.

message 5: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Oh, good! I can never tell how you know it's an indie!

message 6: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Kirsten wrote: "Oh, good! I can never tell how you know it's an indie!"
If I’ve never heard of the publisher, then I google it to see whether it’s an established traditional one or not. General rule of thumb is that if the book has been out at least a couple of months and has less than 1000 ratings on the Goodreads page for it, then it’s probably an Indie. Extremely few Indie books get more than 1000 ratings, at least in the first year.

message 8: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (last edited Apr 14, 2019 08:10AM) (new)

Ryan wrote: "I nominate Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds"
That was our pick for December 2018

Post any comments about it to
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 9: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Tremblay (danielle_t) | 15 comments Ringworld (Ringworld, #1) by Larry Niven Ringworld by Larry Niven

Everybody tells that it's excellent, but I've never read it.

message 10: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Danielle wrote: "Ringworld (Ringworld, #1) by Larry Niven Ringworld by Larry Niven

Everybody tells that it's excellent, but I've never read it."

Good book but we have read it already. When you read it please add comments to
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) Griffin (alwaysdaddyprincess) (alwaydaddygirl) | 1 comments Hellhole (Hell Hole, #1) by Brian Herbert

This was a hard decision. That always the case with books.

🇺🇸🐾

message 12: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Summary of eligible nominations so far
The Sparrow (The Sparrow, #1) by Mary Doria Russell The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell. Nominated by Caitlin. Awaiting seconds.
Hellhole (Hellhole, #1) by Brian Herbert Hellhole by Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson. Nominated by RM. Awaiting seconds.

message 13: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 17 comments I’ll second Hellhole...........but I’m still pushing for Illium!

message 14: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Sheri wrote: "I’ll second Hellhole...........but I’m still pushing for Illium!"
Do you want to nominate Ilium? You can nominate one book and second others.

message 15: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Orso | 4 comments I second The Sparrow - it was a great read!

message 16: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

We have two nominations with seconds - yay! Nominations will close on the 22nd.

message 17: by Ratul (new)

Ratul (ratsah) | 2 comments How about the Expanse Series?

message 18: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Ratul wrote: "How about the Expanse Series?"
If you want to nominate a book, say so, giving the name of the book and its author. You can’t nominate an entire series.

message 19: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 880 comments Mod
Teresa wrote: "Ratul wrote: "How about the Expanse Series?"
If you want to nominate a book, say so, giving the name of the book and its author. You can’t nominate an entire series."

Plus, we've already read Leviathan Wakes, but you can nominate the next one if you want.

message 20: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 880 comments Mod
I'll second The Sparrow.

message 21: by Rowan (last edited Apr 21, 2019 06:10AM) (new)

Rowan J. (rowanjcoleman) | 8 comments I nominate Paragon by Rowan J Coleman, it's Space Opera by way of Clash of the Titans.

message 22: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Rowan wrote: "I nominate Paragon by Rowan J Coleman, it's Space Opera by way of Clash of the Titans."
This is an Indie book, so disqualified for the Reader Pick. It’s in Kindle Unlimited so ebook is only on Amazon. I didn’t find the paperback on BN, so odds are the only way this book would be allowed would be on our Themed nominations when it fits the theme.

message 23: by Rowan (new)

Rowan J. (rowanjcoleman) | 8 comments Teresa wrote: "Rowan wrote: "I nominate Paragon by Rowan J Coleman, it's Space Opera by way of Clash of the Titans."
This is an Indie book, so disqualified for the Reader Pick. It’s in Kindle Unli..."

BN?

message 24: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (last edited Apr 21, 2019 06:40AM) (new)

BN = Barnes and Noble. Is the book available from any vendor other than Amazon?

message 25: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Summary of eligible nominations so far
The Sparrow (The Sparrow, #1) by Mary Doria Russell The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell. Nominated by Caitlin. Seconded by Anthony and Betsy.
Hellhole (Hellhole, #1) by Brian Herbert Hellhole by Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson. Seconded by Sheri.

message 26: by Teresa, Plan B is in Effect (new)

Nominations are now closed.

The random numbers prove they are random by choosing the book with fewer nominations. Our Reader Pick for May is Hellhole.

Those who like The Sparrow are encouraged to nominate it for June.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.