LitRPG Forum discussion

New

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Wilkins | 2 comments Hello,
I just came across this on goodreads and it sounds good, I was wondering what liteRPG means? and if there are some example books I can read that fit the bill, thanks everyone

message 2: by DJay (new)

DJay (djdjay) | 31 comments To over simplify. It's like RPG's in book format. Some are stat heavy, some are stat light, and by stats, I mean legit stats that'd you'd see in any RPG game. Also, LitRPG while different is often intertwined with GameLit and what I'd call HaremLit as well.

A GameLit book would be Zeal Legacy 2: A GameLit RPG Fantasy

A LitRPG would be Level Up

A HaremLit book would be Battle for Glory

The last is my opinion, and I'm sure there will be people here to correct my scope. But LitRPG is a sub category of GameLit which encompass all "X"RPG type books.

If you read any Light Novels/Manga, think Isakai novels where the MC can see and modify their stats.

message 3: by Dan (new)

Dan Sugralinov | 9 comments DJay wrote: "To over simplify. It's like RPG's in book format. Some are stat heavy, some are stat light, and by stats, I mean legit stats that'd you'd see in any RPG game. Also, LitRPG while different is often ..."

Thanks)

message 4: by Dustin (new)

Dustin Tigner (dustintigner) | 16 comments I almost never comment though I see the posts here all the time. I just wanted to reply to the LitRPG vs GameLit thing since I coined the term GameLit and run the .org site (though, admittedly, the site isn't anything special at the moment).

LitRPG came first. As with all genres, LitRPG has certain conventions that authors typically abide by. The problem, if you're an author and you don't abide by these conventions, you risk being labeled as Not LitRPG.

LitRPG means Literary Role Playing Game. It's quite limited in scope, being that of RPGs. We're typically talking about tabletop RPGs (such as D&D) or MMORPGs (such as World of Warcraft).

GameLit is not a subset of LitRPG. It is a superset; a parent genre. It doesn't matter which of the genres came first. GameLit came about to represent all stories that are based on game or game-like mechanics. It's not limited to role-playing games, nor is it limited to the standard conventions of LitRPG.

GameLit is not LitRPG Soft/Creamy/Lite or whatever else is being used to describe a LitRPG with few statistics. This would confine GameLit to RPGs (as the term is traditionally understood, not the argument that everything is an RPG, thus defeating the label in its entirety).

GameLit is an umbrella term that encompasses such genres as LitRPG, LitFPS, MonLit (yes, I coined this one too . . .), DungeonCore, and various others. You could pick a game genre, write about it, and have it represented under GameLit. The same cannot happen--unless the term is quite stretched--for LitRPG.

The two genres work very well together. One is not here to replace the other. I just wanted to say that as I feel it can be misrepresented (such as GameLit being LitRPG Soft, etc.). That's all, carry on. :)

message 5: by Paul (new)

Paul Bellow (litrpg_forum) | 47 comments Mod
Well put. Thanks for sharing with us.

message 6: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Wilkins | 2 comments thanks for the help