Books With Friends discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book Talk > Truly Devious Discussion

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Common Spence (new)

Common Spence (mrcommonspence) | 26 comments Mod
Another month, another read! This thread is the place to share any and all feels about Truly Devious by Maureen Johnson. Please be sure to follow our group rules and ALWAYS mark your spoilers with the official spoiler tag like this:

< spoiler >Here's a secret!< /spoiler >

That's really all there is to it! We hope to see you at our Live Show Discussion on Apr 27 @ 5pm CDT on Chloe's channel! Read on, Friends!

message 2: by Tib (new)

Tib (tibcanread) | 38 comments Okay so, I might have devoured this book instead of reading Gilded Wolves and then immediately turned around and devoured the sequel, and let me just say, my love for Nate is never ending.

message 3: by Paulina (new)

Paulina Rupinska (paulinkar155) | 11 comments I agree. I love this book and Nate is amazing. I finished this book in 3 days.

message 4: by Allison (new)

Allison (allisondyh) | 5 comments I devoured reading this book in one day since I just wanted to know what happened next and was unable to put it down. Now I really want to read the next book even though I do not have a copy of it yet. I cannot wait for the live show discussion so I can hear other thoughts about this book.

message 5: by Tib (new)

Tib (tibcanread) | 38 comments Allison wrote: "I devoured reading this book in one day since I just wanted to know what happened next and was unable to put it down. Now I really want to read the next book even though I do not have a copy of it ..."

I most definitely had to immediately go and get The Vanishing Stair the moment I was done with Truly Devious. The only really big problem I have with these books is that everything is dragged out a little too much for me. Not exactly sure how well thought out a YA mystery trilogy was.

message 6: by Wren (last edited Apr 12, 2019 01:40PM) (new)

Wren (b_rollbanshee) I read both this and the sequel in two days and I loved them both.
Thankfully Scribd had both of them so I could move right on to it without waiting.

I'm so glad everyone loved Nate as much as I did.
I really liked all of the characters and Stevie was amazing, but Nate was definitely the one I wanted to be friends with the most, every word from his mouth was so relatable and had me laughing so much.

Waiting until 2020 for the third one will be painful.

message 7: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Carolin | 4 comments this is one of my favorite series, I am so excited for the third installment!! ellingham is such an atmospheric place, I love everything about it and yes, Nate is one of my absolute favorite things about these books too. his and Stevie's friendship is so wonderful.
the only thing I don't 100% love is the Lovestory aspect. I think the book would have been fine without it and it feels a bit... underwhelming to me. but at the same time I really appreciate that the love story is not the sole focus of the novel, it doesn't take up too much space. and I love how moreen Johnson builds the connection between the past ellingham case and Stevie's life at ellingham today; this continues in the sequel as well and there many more layers to the mystery than expected and it's just so lovely and exiting to read !!

message 8: by Vic (new)

Vic (vivsreads) | 1 comments I'm reading everyone's comments and I'm so scared that I'm going to be alone with my unpopular opinion oops.

message 9: by Katie (new)

Katie Faughnan | 11 comments I really enjoyed this book and the whole mystery and so excited to read the sequel.

message 10: by Tib (new)

Tib (tibcanread) | 38 comments Victoria wrote: "I'm reading everyone's comments and I'm so scared that I'm going to be alone with my unpopular opinion oops."

Oh, don't worry, while I did go through the books super fast, I spent the majority of the time making fun of most of the characters and the dumb things they did. Nate was literally the only saving grace for me. Still bitter about Janelle not being utilized to her full potential in either book. I have plenty of tea to spill with this series.

message 11: by Anya (new)

Anya (anyadendulk) | 2 comments Victoria wrote: "I'm reading everyone's comments and I'm so scared that I'm going to be alone with my unpopular opinion oops."

Me too! I enjoyed this but I didn't love it as much as everyone else seems to. I had to pick up the audiobook about halfway through so I could get through the rest of the book, I thought it was boring at points even though there were two mysteries going on... I really wish I loved this as much as everyone else does:(

message 12: by Tib (new)

Tib (tibcanread) | 38 comments Anya wrote: "Victoria wrote: "I'm reading everyone's comments and I'm so scared that I'm going to be alone with my unpopular opinion oops."

Me too! I enjoyed this but I didn't love it as much as everyone else ..."

I feel like the boring parts was her stretching out a story that could easily have been one, maybe two books into three. Everything is so stretched out and the long bits of inactivity to move the mysteries along felt so boring and Stevie's dumb moves got old real fast. But it was still entertaining enough to poke fun at.

message 13: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (bookswithchloe) i am starting the book today and i’m so excited!!

message 14: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina (strangerreads) Okay so... I MAY have found one of my favorite series of all time. I ADORED this book, read it in 1 day and so I had to pick up the sequel and read it in one day as well and now I'm gonna re-read them both through audio book. I HAVE SO MANY thoughts but most of them are about The Vanishing Stair so if anyone has read it plz message me so we can talk cause I have theories and no one to discuss them with.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.