Play Book Tag discussion

March: Book One (March, #1)
This topic is about March
April 2019: History > March: Book One - John Lewis (4 stars)

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Cora (corareading) | 1286 comments March: Book One - John Lewis

4 stars

March is the graphic novel memoir of the life of John Lewis and the history of the Civil Rights Movement. It is a great way to get an over view of a very important time in America's history. I learned a lot about the "big picture" of the Civil Rights Movement in school - Rosa Parks, Martin Luther King Jr., etc. I knew what the Freedom Riders were and about the big marches and demonstrations and the lunch counter sit ins. But this books takes the reader beyond the big picture and tells the story in a more personal way. About the people that risked their lives, how they trained and prepared for their demonstrations and why they made the decisions they made. I learned about important people in the movement that my history classes did not mention by name and I found myself googling to learn more. While there is probably much more details to the story that could not be included in the graphic novel format, I feel like it has given me the outline of what to look up to find those details in other sources. This first book focuses on Lewis' early life and the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC)'s lunch counter protests in Tennessee. I recommend these graphic novels to anyone that feels like they want to learn more about the U.S. Civil Rights Movement and would like somewhere to start the journey.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5546 comments Oh ... this is a great choice for this month's tag!