Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > Midnight at the Bright Ideas Book Store by Matthew Sullivan / 3 Stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kimber (new)

Kimber (kimberwolf) | 836 comments Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore by Matthew Sullivan
3 Stars

Lydia is a book store employee with a mysterious past. When Joey, one of a rag-tag collection of regular patrons at the Bright Ideas Bookstore, dies by suicide inside the store and leaves clues specifically intended for Lydia in both the store and his apartment, Lydia investigates, although she has no idea why Joey has chosen her as the recipient of his last messages in the world. When a childhood friend, Raj, shows up, the mystery grows more complicated before resolving. The story jumps back and forth between Lydia's childhood and present day. In each of these time periods, there is a life-changing mystery to solve.

Bright Ideas was a strange mix of cozy mystery and violent crime – snappy, clever dialogue mixed with bloody murder. The plot was multifaceted and a little difficult to follow at times. Recommended for readers of gritty murder novels and psychological suspense, not so much for those who prefer cozies.

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8518 comments This one was quite fun!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Good review! I've got this on my list. It just sounds like a fascinating story.

message 4: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3809 comments I really loved this one when I read it, it struck a great mix of mystery, crime, and family/literary themes.