Works In Progress: A Self Help and Mental Health Book Club discussion

Welcome! Let's Get Fuckin Happy. :)

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ken (last edited May 08, 2019 12:49AM) (new)

Ken | 13 comments Mod
Hello everyone. Welcome to Works in Progress!

I can't wait to get to get this book club started. Ever since it was suggested to me, by a friend, I haven't been able to shake the idea of how wonderful it would be to have everyone online discussing ways to better themselves and understand others through literature that already exists for us to consume.

Because this group is starting a bit delayed into the month, so it physical meet ups will be one week into the month typically. With monthly alternating locations between Salem, OR at Taproot Lounge and Cafe and in Portland at the Rose City Book Pub (Rose City Book Pub has Gluten Free, Vegan and Non-Alcoholic options for us Salem folks, and so does Taproot Lounge and Cafe for all you Portland-ers).

A little bit more on how I ideally seeing this book club playing out:

Audio and Digital Copies of the Books-
As you may have already noticed, if you clicked on the link above, digital as well as audio copies of the books we'll read are available which should hopefully make it super easy for those of us who hate waiting for shipping, can't find time to make it to the library, or don't know someone to borrow a copy.

The Monthly Selection Process -
Each month a new person will be selected from the group to pick five books for the group to vote on, based on their join date. Most recent joins will be at the bottom of the rotation. The monthly selection process stated above would mean that it would possibly be years until someone got their turn to suggest books. SO Instead, please go to the "Bookshelf" section in the area to the right of this prompt, and feel free to add and categorize your suggestions. We will pick five of them randomly to vote on each month using a poll option. The poll will be done in Facebook until there are more followers on this page than that one.

Life Gets in the Way Sometimes -
Can't commit to this month's book? No problem. Life Happens. Money can be short. Books we may read may trigger some not to be able to make it through. Or it may just be one we aren't engaged enough to read. Sometimes it means we can't do it certain months and I get that. The goal here a the longer lasting concept I hope to make work; To allow people to talk about these books, gain insights from those of us that we may not have considered and discuss these things online OR in person at meet ups. I totally expect their to be ebbs and flows to this endeavor :)

Help Me with Prompts If You Can-
You don't have to but it helps. Engaging questions for the group or relative experience helps us understand each other better. We can both work on prompts if you want! Or not! However much you'd like to help me host, is appreciated.

And that's pretty much it for now. Truth be told, I've never run a book club before, online or in person. So this is all very exciting and also very new for me. If anyone has tips, suggestions, questions or concerns that they'd like to bring up, by all means please do!

Thanks for being such awesome people and joining all of us on what's hopefully a super insightful journey.

Happy Reading! (I hope this all comes together lol)

message 2: by Candice (new)

Candice T (mechanicalme) | 4 comments Mod
👍