Play Book Tag discussion

Marriage, a History: From Obedience to Intimacy or How Love Conquered Marriage
This topic is about Marriage, a History
April 2019: History > Marriage: A History / Stephanie Coontz. 3.5 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

LibraryCin | 8018 comments Marriage: A History / Stephanie Coontz
3.5 stars

Love has only been a precursor to marriage the past couple of hundred years or so. Before that, marriage was mostly for financial or political reasons. Love may or may not have come later. So what many call “traditional marriage” is not really as “traditional” as some might have one believe. What’s often seen as traditional or ideal was really only what marriage was (seen as) in the 1950s for just over a decade. Of course, what went on behind closed doors is not exactly what “Ozzie and Harriet” would have us all believe, either.

The author is a family studies professor. The book takes a look at the history of marriage during different times and cultures in history (though the focus, certainly for modern marriages, is on the Western world). I found this quite interesting. The book has an extensive “Notes” section at the end for those of us who also like to peruse through it for extra tidbits of information. As someone who has never been married, for some reason, I added this to my tbr ages ago!

message 2: by Teodora (new) - added it

Teodora Paslaru | 149 comments Sounds interesting. Maybe I will read it someday if I'll ever get my hands on it.