Loosely Bound Book Club discussion

A Curse So Dark and Lonely > Chapters 10-19

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (dylanthereader5) | 67 comments Mod
This topic is for spoiler talk for chapters 10-19 ONLY. Don't read the comments unless you've read all the chapters or else you will be spoiled.

Also, DO NOT post about events that happen after these chapters. You will have two warnings, if it happens a third time, you're out of the group.

message 2: by Merphy (new)

Merphy Napier | 56 comments Mod
I skipped the first check in point because I was flying through this book so fast that I forgot to stop and check in. I'm surprised how readable this is, maybe because I've been reading so much adult fantasy lately that it's refreshing to have something so different. I'm usually all about the complex magic system, world building, and morally grey characters. This book is just about the STORY and it's so nice to just get lost in it.

Anyway, I'm loving Harper. I like how strong willed she is without being stupid or impulsive. I also like how she's so suspicious. A lot of beauty and the beast retellings are hard for me because of how trusting everyone is, but Harper won't give in to these guys because - well - she's be kidknapped!

I'm not loving Rhen as much, he's sort of bland to me. Just another prince that is noble and doesn't use contractions.

Grey on the other hand... I'm shipping the WRONG ship. I would love a twist where Grey is actually the beast and the one she falls in love with or something like that, though I don't see that happening lol

message 3: by Ioana (new)

Ioana (userioana) | 4 comments As for now I can say that I expect a lot from Rhen. He mighy be bland and everything, but I sort of get him. His depressed and keeps his feelings hidden all the time. I don't know, maybe people find him to be a too common character type, but I don't think I read that much to be able to think the same.
I'm happy that I got used to Harper's perspective and I enjoy it more now.

message 4: by Kylie (new)

Kylie Crawford (kylies_nook) | 5 comments I think it’s definitely improving. I’m still more of a fan of Grey, and wondering why the author did Rhen so dirty. Harper is also growing to trust more characters, so my enjoyment reading her is improving with her mood.

I’m shipping the wrong ship though. Liking someone should be easy; Rhen is just a little dull, and mostly there’s physical attraction rather than emotional/witty chemistry.

message 5: by Merphy (new)

Merphy Napier | 56 comments Mod
Kylie wrote: "I think it’s definitely improving. I’m still more of a fan of Grey, and wondering why the author did Rhen so dirty. Harper is also growing to trust more characters, so my enjoyment reading her is i..."

"idk why the author did Rhen so dirty" --> agree. She wrote Grey as such an interesting guy! And I just don't feel that from Rhen at all. I'm hoping that'll change!

message 6: by Kylie (new)

Kylie Crawford (kylies_nook) | 5 comments Merphy wrote: "Kylie wrote: "I think it’s definitely improving. I’m still more of a fan of Grey, and wondering why the author did Rhen so dirty. Harper is also growing to trust more characters, so my enjoyment re..."

I hope so too! Grey is much more alive and real-feeling on the page, not to mention he has actual bantering/a fun dynamic with Harper AND the fact that he loves kids/had a cute family life. I’m wondering why more traits on par with those haven’t been worked into Rhen’s character?

Haha your above post, I agree! I know for some reason Grey can’t die bc of the curse, that would be a great twist if it turned out he was also a love-option or the beast.

message 7: by Kimberly (last edited Apr 24, 2019 10:59AM) (new)

Kimberly | 3 comments I'm agreeing with the general sentiments so far. Super fast read so I passed the first check-in but enjoying the characters and the story. Harper sure blushes a lot but other than that I enjoy her perspective. She's intelligent. I do find her impulsive but with the best if intentions so it doesn't bother me.

With his background, I understand why Rhen is a more reserved character, but that doesn't change the fact that, along with everyone else, I find Grey a much more interesting character. He's giving me Westley (Princess Bride) vibes. When he said "As You Wish" to Harper... whew. Swoon worthy.

message 8: by Nathan (new)

Nathan | 2 comments Kimberly wrote: "I'm agreeing with the general sentiments so far. Super fast read so I passed the first check-in but enjoying the characters and the story. Harper sure blushes a lot but other than that I enjoy her ..."

Totally agree with the comment about "As You Wish." Of course, that may be influenced by the fact that the previous book I finished was "The Princess Bride"

message 9: by Cheri (new)

Cheri (cherimac) | 4 comments I am the lone dissenter but I quite like Rhen. I think he will have more of an ARC than Grey, but I could be wrong. Of course, I am a sap, haha, and quite empathize with all he has been through. I think the way he is written, given that context, is believable.