Loosely Bound Book Club discussion

A Curse So Dark and Lonely > Overall thoughts on the book

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dylan (new)

Dylan (dylanthereader5) | 67 comments Mod
This topic is for spoiler talk for the entire book. Don't read the comments unless you've read all of the book or else you will be spoiled.

message 2: by Mary Ann (new)

Mary Ann | 1 comments Love this book!! I’ve read it already and enjoy it quite a bit. Going to be honest.. looking forward to book #2!! 😊

message 3: by Kourtney (new)

Kourtney | 4 comments I actually read this in March and really enjoyed it. Harper was awesome. Strong, independent, witty yet she still made mistakes. I really loved her and the other two main characters, Grey and Rhen. I thought they all worked well together and developed a pretty good relationship. The curse was fascinating and although I would have liked to seen Rhen slowly turn into the creature over the course of the book(a scale here, a scale there.) I did still enjoy how it was done. Overall I really loved reading it.

message 4: by Kylie (new)

Kylie Crawford (kylies_nook) | 5 comments I agree the readability level was way up on this book! I loved the characters, and the reactions and mingling emotions felt genuine. The world building and fantasy elements were a little easy and contrived, but THE CHARACTERS. I’m excited to see book 2, and what they plan to do with Scary Grey.

Rhen improved toward the end. I could really empathize with his big heart and his plight, but I still thought he was a little bland. 🤷‍♀️

Grey I still love, though it looks like he’s being set up as a “love-interest-doomed-to-fail” if I was a betting woman. That or pair him up with someone new (she’d better be AMAZING if so. No bland pancakes please). I don’t know what they’re going to do with the thread of his story as he wonders Emberfell. (Fall? I’m not going to look it up)

Harper is strong and fierce and feisty and I loved her - I can’t say I cared for her brother much once he was introduced, but I’ll hold out hope. She really came into her own, though I’ve got to say I never viewed her as a character that couldn’t take care of herself. At the end when she was insisting that she used to be the protected not the protector, I don’t know if I believed it, seeing as she hit Grey over the back with a crowbar at the opening.

message 5: by Ioana (new)

Ioana (userioana) | 4 comments Thinking about it after a few days, I don't think I'll read the second book. I mean I really liked this story, at times I couldn't put it down, but for me it was enough on its own. I like that I don't know if Harper will fall in love with Rhen. And when it comes to Grey, I loved his character in the context of THIS story, I'm not sure I care to follow him further.
I don't know what to say to not let the impression that I didn't like the book, I really liked it. It just doesn't have anything more to offer for me.

message 6: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 3 comments A fun, fast read. It kept me interested but it felt pretty shallow. Still anticipating book 2! Mostly for the characters. Mostly for Grey.

Things moved fast toward the end, wrapped up pretty conveniently and the writing was less mature than I was hoping for. There were some pretty insurmountable problems that the characters found quick solutions for, often in the background. I felt like we always learned of things from a passive character after the fact. We didn't get to see much of the problem solving and hardly any of the final battle, which, considering the length of the book, was disappointing.

I liked the first Monster perspective chapter, showing us that there was nothing going on up there anymore but the rest felt unnecessary. It would have been a more striking contrast to only see Rhen's feelings through Harper's perspective after the change. Also, just a small gripe but I can't get past how often Harper blushed in this book. She must have just been red as a tomato all the time. I really like her as a character though. I appreciate how capable and sassy she is while still being fallible. Made her pretty relatable.

message 7: by Cheri (new)

Cheri (cherimac) | 4 comments I really enjoyed this read. I am looking forward to the next book. The further I got in the story the more I liked Rhen.