Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon discussion

For the Blogless > Ann's Readathon Residence - April 2019

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann A (last edited Apr 05, 2019 01:51PM) (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 494 comments And, finally getting my stack and thread ready...

I always have 10 books to read during RAT and beyond - tradition (and mood reading) is important :) Several of these are from the Tournament of Books shortlist, sort of my "theme" for this Rat,

One, Two, Buckle My Shoe
The Clue of the Broken Locket (for the wee hours)
The Enchanted Castle
Kid Gloves: Nine Months of Careful Chaos
So Lucky
My Sister, the Serial Killer
Paris for One and Other Stories
The Friend
There There
Washington Black

These two are already in progress, but I may or may not try to finish them tomorrow:
The Overstory
The House of Broken Angels

Good luck, one and all!

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate | 349 comments Good choice with the Nancy Drew, I haven't read one of those for years! Enjoy and good luck. :)

message 3: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1693 comments Woot nice list! I've heard great things about My Sister, the Serial Killer!

message 4: by Susan (new)

Susan | 353 comments Hi Ann! Another TOB enthusiast here. My Sister would be a great read for the wee hours when your eyes are becoming heavy. I’m looking forward to hearing how your read a thon goes. I’m finished with reading everything I wanted from the short list but what a great idea to incorporate with the read a thon. Enjoy!

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan | 484 comments Here’s another ToB fan. I’m on the library waiting list for My Sister, the Serial Killer; friends are raving about it! And Washington Black, There There, The Overstory and House of Broken Angels — all want-to-reads. So many good books ahead ;)

message 6: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 494 comments Getting to Know You Survey

1)What fine part of the world are you reading from today? Utah
2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to? Can't pick just one. They all look great.
3) Which snack are you most looking forward to? I have a dental issue and am going to stick with soft foods today, so think I may have to send the hubs out to fetch ice cream.
4) Tell us a little something about yourself! I am known amongst my friends as a huge "book nerd" :)
5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to? I would just like to read more pages than I usually do; otherwise, everything the same.

message 7: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1693 comments Umm yes perfect reason for ice cream! I think we're all known as book nerds here! ;) I mean, we're participating in a readathon. Where we read for 24 hours straight. And interact with other readers. We're either book nerds or crazy! Or both! ;)

message 8: by Susan (last edited Apr 06, 2019 09:43AM) (new)

Susan | 353 comments Susan wrote: "Hi Ann! Another TOB enthusiast here. My Sister would be a great read for the wee hours when your eyes are becoming heavy. I’m looking forward to hearing how your read a thon goes. I’m finished with..."

Susan, we have more in common than our name :) Happy reading today!

message 9: by Susan (new)

Susan | 353 comments I hope reading is going well today Ann!

message 10: by Ann A (last edited Apr 06, 2019 10:29AM) (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 494 comments Hours 1-5

The Friend - 193 pgs (almost done!)
The House of Broken Angels - 17 pgs (audio)

Running total, pages: 210
Running total, hours: 3 hr reading, 25 min listening

Pretty happy with my progress so far, but as usual, the time is going by too fast!

message 11: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1693 comments Ann A wrote: "Hours 1-5

The Friend - 193 pgs (almost done!)
The House of Broken Angels - 17 pgs (audio)

Running total, pages: 210
Running total, hours: 3 hr reading, 25 min list..."

So true, the first half always FLIES by. And the second half only flies by once I succumb to sleep for at least 4-5 hours, which I inevitably do. lol

message 12: by Ann A (last edited Apr 06, 2019 08:15PM) (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 494 comments Yikes! Had interruptions! Must read more! Faster!

Hours 6-10

The Friend - 19 pgs, Finished
The House of Broken Angels - 25 pgs (audio)
Washington Black - 31 pgs

Running total, pages: 285
Running total, hours: 3 hr 59 min reading, 59 min listening

message 13: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis Good job on finishing The Friend!

message 14: by Susan (new)

Susan | 353 comments I listened to The House of Broken Angels as well. Isn't the narrator incredible - especially the heavy metal voice?

message 15: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 494 comments Susan wrote: "I listened to The House of Broken Angels as well. Isn't the narrator incredible - especially the heavy metal voice?"

Yes, the narrator really is good. I think it's making me connect with the book more.

message 16: by Ann A (last edited Apr 06, 2019 06:24PM) (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 494 comments Mid-Event Survey

1. What are you reading right now? Washington Black
2. How many books have you read so far? 1 and part of 2 others
3. What book are you most looking forward to for the second half of the Read-a-thon? Reading more of Washington Black!
4. Have you had many interruptions? How did you deal with those? Yes, more interruptions than I would have liked, but I just try to jump right back in.
5. What surprises you most about the Read-a-thon, so far? How fast the time is flying by - that always surprises me.

message 17: by Susan (new)

Susan | 484 comments Ann A wrote: "Susan wrote: "I listened to The House of Broken Angels as well. Isn't the narrator incredible - especially the heavy metal voice?"

Yes, the narrator really is good. I think it's ma..."

A good reader makes such a difference!

message 18: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 494 comments Hours 11-15

Washington Black - 97 pgs
The House of Broken Angels - 26 pgs (audio)

Running total, pages: 408
Running total, hours: 5 hr 59 min reading, 1 hr 35 min listening

message 19: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 494 comments Hours 16-18

Kid Gloves: Nine Months of Careful Chaos - 100 pgs

Running total, pages: 508
Running total, hours: 7 hr reading, 1 hr 35 min listening

I'm going to TRY to last a bit longer, but I will need to sleep a little eventually. I plan to set an alarm and come back for the last hour, though.

message 20: by Ann A (new)

Ann A (readerann) | 494 comments Hours 19-24

The House of Broken Angels - 28 pgs (audio)
My Sister, the Serial Killer - 9 pgs

Final total, pages: 545
Final total, hours: 9 hr 22 min (7 hr 10 min reading, 2 hr 12 min listening)

I didn't make it back for the last hour - just had to sleep. It was so much fun reading with all of you. I can't wait to do it again in 6 months!

message 21: by Elyse (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 1693 comments Ann A wrote: "Hours 19-24

The House of Broken Angels - 28 pgs (audio)
My Sister, the Serial Killer - 9 pgs

Final total, pages: 545
Final total, hours: 9 hr 22 min (7 hr 10 min r..."

You did great, Ann! It's such a struggle to get back up after going to bed for over an hour. I always try to get back up for the last hour but I'm not always successful. ;)

message 22: by Susan (new)

Susan | 353 comments Wow Ann! You accomplished a lot! Would love to hear what you think of Overstory.