What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Sci-Fi, Future utopic society where people at a certain age end their lives for the benefit of society

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sparkdaniel (new)

Sparkdaniel | 2 comments Hey there

Not sure if it is a book or a plot in a book, might even be a short story A successful man gets to say 65+ throws a party with all his friends and family, and at point he just goes to his room with his closest family and takes a pill to end his life. all the time celebrating the good live he had, and in a society where this is the normal way, so that the world does not get overpopulated.

I have read sci fi for the las 30 or so years, no idea where I got this from
Thanks for the help

message 2: by Rosa (new)

message 3: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy Tassoff | 135 comments Not sure about a source that was a Sci-fi story. That was the plot line of a 1996 movie with Eric Roberts called It's My Party.
The MC received a diagnosis of a fatal disease, gathers all his friends together for a goodbye party and then takes an overdose of barbiturates at the end.

message 4: by Sparkdaniel (new)

Sparkdaniel | 2 comments Jeremy wrote: "Not sure about a source that was a Sci-fi story. That was the plot line of a 1996 movie with Eric Roberts called It's My Party.
The MC received a diagnosis of a fatal disease, gathers all his frien..."

Yeah that movie is base on a true story of a guy dying form aids.

The book I am looking for had a whole explanation on why it would be beneficial for society if "old" people took them self out of the equation.

Thanks anyways for your answer

message 5: by SamSpayedPI (new)

SamSpayedPI | 1874 comments Logan's Run and Make Room! Make Room! have those themes, but not the specific scene you describe, as far as I can recall.

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura L. Van Dam (lauralvd) | 10 comments children of men?

message 9: by Shanna_redwind (new)

Shanna_redwind | 858 comments There's an episode of Star Trek the Next Generation that is like this
WikiPedia Half a Life

message 10: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16920 comments Still looking for this one?

message 11: by Monica (new)

Monica (marticles) | 162 comments I believe this is part of society in The Giver, though not a main plotline.

message 12: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 610 comments The Giver is what came to mind for me as well

message 13: by Andy (new)

Andy Love | 2085 comments Pebble in the Sky (mentioned above) has this as a major element. The ritual is called "The Sixty"

message 14: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16920 comments The people in The Giver don't do it voluntarily, though. No one knows that being sent "Elsewhere" actually means being put to death.

message 15: by Robbin (new)

Robbin Mavor | 6 comments The Lottery?

message 16: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16920 comments Definitely not The Lottery if you mean the story by Shirley Jackson.

message 18: by Susan (new)

Susan Oleson | 6 comments “Never Let Me Go” by Kazuo Ishiguro?

message 19: by SamSpayedPI (new)

SamSpayedPI | 1874 comments Never Let Me Go for Susan's link.

message 20: by Suzette (new)

Suzette Kath | 37 comments Logan's Run by William F. Nolan and George Clayton Johnson?

message 21: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34447 comments Mod
Note: Sparkdaniel (OP) was last active on the site in April 2019.

message 22: by Andy Phillips (new)

Andy Phillips | 193 comments This doesn't help much, but it's not Logan's Run as nobody is older than something like 30 or 35, and they end their lives in that weird carousel ritual in public.

message 23: by SamSpayedPI (new)

SamSpayedPI | 1874 comments Andy Phillips wrote: "This doesn't help much, but it's not Logan's Run as nobody is older than something like 30 or 35, and they end their lives in that weird carousel ritual in public."

Actually that's just from the movie. In the book, the maximum age is 21, and there is no "Carrousel"; they just report to a "sleepshop" on Lastday (they don't live in domes, either).

message 24: by Andy Phillips (new)

Andy Phillips | 193 comments You're probably right, Sam, it's been about 30 years since I read it. Anyway, there aren't any people who are 65 years old in that society.

message 25: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 43 comments Soylent Green?

message 26: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34447 comments Mod
Note: Sparkdaniel (OP) was last active on the site in April 2019.

message 27: by Steventhesteve (new)

Steventhesteve | 3 comments Agreeing with Paige from above. Pebble in the sky by Isaac Asimov. referred to as "the 60", people are euthanised after their useful time is done. it's a time travel story where a retiree gets pulled into this future by *ACCIDENTAL TIME SCIENCE* and has to go on the run because he's above the 60.

message 28: by Vee (new)