Forgotten YA Gems discussion

The Graveyard Book
This topic is about The Graveyard Book
Previous BOTMs > The Graveyard Book: General Discussion

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Carrie (brightbeautifulthings) (brightbeautifulthings) | 322 comments Mod
Post your thoughts on The Graveyard Book here, and please be sure to mark any spoilers!

Melissa | 11 comments Just finished this today! Neil Gaiman never disappoints.

anna (readerwritercheeseburglar) Started today! So excited to finally read this one.

Elizabeth (aliteraryprincess) | 77 comments I finished this a few days ago and thought it was wonderful! 4 stars! Every Gaiman book I've picked up has really impressed me; I need to read more by him.

The thing that caught my attention the most is the episodic set up, with each chapter containing it's own little story about Bod's childhood in the graveyard while still contributing to the larger plot. It's not something I've come across very often, and I really enjoyed it. I'd say my favorites were "The Witch's Headstone" and "Nobody Owens' School Days."

I always find it fun to read the acknowledgments, and I'm glad I did. I wouldn't have known Gaiman used The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling for inspiration otherwise since I've never read it (and I'm actually just now making the connection between the titles of the books...that took me much longer than it should have). Even with my limited knowledge of the story through the Disney movie, I saw a few connections: the meeting to decide if Bod can stay in the graveyard mirrors the one to decide if Mowgli can stay with the wolves and Silas has a lot in common with Bagheera. It sounds like the episodic structure came from there too.

**Spoilers**
The ending was so bittersweet! I really liked it even though it made me sad. I expected right from the start that Bod would leave the graveyard in the end, but it didn't make it any less heartbreaking. And the final few lines were absolutely beautiful! But the part that really crushed me was Scarlett calling Bod a monster and not turning to look at him as she's leaving the graveyard. Poor Bod! I'd been hoping she'd return through the whole book, and to have things end like that made me want to cry.

So what did everyone else think?

message 5: by Mary ♥ (new) - added it

Mary ♥ (sortofafairytale) | 82 comments I loved it really much too ♥ It should be a Tim Burton movie!

This was my first time reading this, but I agree that Gaiman always brings something interesting to the table! I love the way he's able to capture spooky fairytale vibes but still tell a whole new story.

I think "The Witch's Headstone" was probably my favorite too! Not least because I love the encounters with various Hempstocks in his other books. 😂 Silas is such an interesting character. I wanted to know more about him and what he was! The Sleer was also really creepy.

I've never read The Jungle Book, but someone pointed out the similarity to me when I first heard about it. Do you think we would call this an adaptation then? I don't know if it's an aspect of the book or just the Disney film, but the ghouls totally reminded me of King Louie and the apes! I had "I Wanna Be Like You" stuck in my head for the rest of the day.

I wasn't that crazy about the Dave McKean illustrations in my edition, although they definitely call back classic fairytale illustrations that reminded me of The Wizard of Oz and Alice in Wonderland. I'm going to take a peak through the Chris Riddell edition when I get a chance. I really loved his art in The Sleeper & The Spindle, so I expect that'll be more my speed.

My edition also had Gaiman's Newbery Medal speech in the back, which I thought was really cool! I was tearing up through most of it. I just love books so much. 😭

And I agree, Tim Burton could do wonderful things with this book!

message 7: by Mary ♥ (new) - added it

Mary ♥ (sortofafairytale) | 82 comments We should read more Gaiman books, just saying ♥

The May suggestions are still open! You're always welcome to add them.