Book Haven discussion

Fantasy Romance > Fantasy Romance Authors...

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Stroube | 2393 comments Mod
I almost never delve into this specific genre...I'm usually more of a Paranormal romance, or historical romance fan. However, I was considering trying it again...

Which authors/series are the best?

message 2: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne | 286 comments I've just started to take an interest in this genre... Celtic/Mythical based fantasy appeals to me I've found a couple of authors on GRs (books on my TBR)and Samhain Press has a whole section of fantasy, that you may like to check out.

message 3: by new_user (new)

new_user I know, I know! LOL.

Shana Abé's Drakon books. You know the ones, the rich dragon dudes who always get their way. ;) I would personally class them as in between fantasy romance and historical paranormal.

If you want Celtic fantasy with a goodly dose of romance, I highly recommend Juliet Marillier's books (starting with Daughter of the Forest). These are among my favorites. Just beautiful prose, strong, epic storytelling and deep emotion. :)

I also recommend Sharon Shinn and Patricia Briggs' backlist. They all have romance. There are also a lot of female fantasy authors who feature strong romance subplots in their books, but I'll stick with these for now, LOL.

message 4: by J.D. (new)

new_user wrote: "I know, I know! LOL.

Shana Abé's Drakon books. You know the ones, the rich dragon dudes who always get their way. ;) I would personally class them as in between fantasy romance and hi..."

I think that Daughter of the Forest was a book I wanted to read a long time ago, but never got around to...
A lot of people seem to like Patricia Briggs! I have Cry Wolf sitting on my bookshelf right now. (sigh) I really should stop buying books. I can't read them fast enough!

message 5: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne | 286 comments Thanks NU, I've just added Daughter of the Forest to my TBR, I haveThe Smoke Thief listed to read as well. I'm also going to take a look at the listopia *Magic, Adventure and Romance* which I didn't know was there....for the amount of time I spend on GRs I'm sadly lacking in investigative skills LOL...

message 6: by new_user (new)

new_user LOL! Adrienne, that's funny, because I just discovered that list the other day too when I was thinking of making a list like that. I hadn't found anything listing female fantasy authors. I was happy to find that one. :)

message 7: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (marguax) | 18 comments Whats the difference between Paranormal romance and Fantasy Romance? I read some PNR and some fantasy, but not any fantasy romance- to my knowledge at least!

message 8: by J.D. (new)

Lauren wrote: "Whats the difference between Paranormal romance and Fantasy Romance? I read some PNR and some fantasy, but not any fantasy romance- to my knowledge at least!"

PNR usually has witches, vamps, shifters, etc
Fantasy Romance usually has dragons, elves, etc.

:)

message 9: by Xeey (new)

Xeey (bookzeey) | 1 comments Hi guys, i was wondering if someone could rec: books similar to the Tairen soul series by C.L Wilson and The Warprize series by Elizabeth Vaughn. These are my favourite fantasy books and have just the right amount of world building, mystery, action and the focus is primarily the romance and a happy ending...
No offense to G.Martin but his books are just not for me...

thanks..

message 10: by Cary (new)

Cary (Vortigern) | 344 comments Robert E. Howard author of Conan, and Edgar Rice Burroughs. Mostly the John Carter of Mars and Carson of Venus books. Although I like Tarzan. I think Burroughs interplanetary romantic fantasies where much better,and largely elclipsed by the tremendous success of Tarzan. Also his Center of the Earth stories. To me these two authors are pioners in the field of fantasy, and both great examples of the Fantasy genre.