Audiobooks discussion

Ask Audible > Audible Credit Change?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 68 (68 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Phil (new)

Phil (whozhur) | 20 comments Yesterday I received a "Dear Listener" email from Audible's Vice President of Global Customer Care. I am guessing it went to all subscribers. Despite the hyperbolic, and rather confusing, language of the message, it seemed to me that Audible has somehow decreased the longevity of some credits. So I went to the "Credits 101" page of Audible's US Help Center, where it does say that Audible ". . . recently made changes to when your credits expire." Oddly, the date of the changes is April Fools Day! So now I am even more puzzled about whether any credits now have a shorter or longer lifespan. Can anyone help reduce my puzzlement? Maybe I will understand more after I receive the promised "personalized monthly credit summary" on May 1st. I hope no credits expire before then!

message 2: by Faith (new)

Faith | 413 comments They have extended the longevity, not reduced it.

message 3: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 947 comments Unless you are on an annual plan. Prior to Apr 1, 2019 all annual plan credits expired after 2 years. Now it's after 1 year.

message 4: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3257 comments I think you got that reversed... previously credits expired within six months of being issued on a monthly plan and one year for credits bought all at one time although up to six could be rolled over for an additional six months making it a total of eighteen months.

Instead of expiring after six months the credits begin expiring after one year for monthly plans. Annual plans give up to two years before credits start expiring.

It is confusing, but there will be a page that tells you when credits expire for you so there's no guesswork and fewer surprises.

message 5: by Faith (new)

Faith | 413 comments Monthly plans get an extended period. I think annual plans used to give 2 years but now give only one, unless you renewed prior to 4/1/19. No more rollovers:

https://audible.custhelp.com/app/answ...

message 6: by Robin P (new)

Robin P | 1059 comments I got an email today about a class action lawsuit against Audible by people who lost credits, or were charged incorrectly by Audible. So that must have something to do with this change! I've never had a problem myself.

message 7: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 1951 comments Robin wrote: "I got an email today about a class action lawsuit against Audible by people who lost credits, or were charged incorrectly by Audible. So that must have something to do with this change! I've never ..."

Was thinking the same thing....

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura | 47 comments Did anyone else get an email about a class action settlement against Audible for lost credits? It's long - I can post it if anyone's interested.

message 9: by CatBookMom (new)

CatBookMom | 995 comments Yes. I was just coming here to post about the settlement. I don't think I've ever lost a credit.

message 10: by CatBookMom (new)

CatBookMom | 995 comments Also - want this to be seen, so separate post - I spoke to an Audible CS person today, with two important bits of info about the change in life of credits, etc.

She said, quite clearly, that the Audible Lite program (US$10/year) is still available. I have 12 credits left from last year, with renewal this month, and I haven't decided what to do for the year forward. So this is very good news.

message 11: by Laura (new)

Laura | 47 comments I posted the settlement email under its heading for those interested.

message 12: by Phil (new)

Phil (whozhur) | 20 comments Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond to my inquiry. I probably should have mentioned that I have always been on an annual plan with Audible. Once I had a couple of credits disappear so I called to ask why and the rep I spoke to just said he would restore them, and they reappeared! I was unaware of the lawsuit or the settlement but will take a look at new thread.

message 13: by Julesy (last edited Apr 06, 2019 03:03PM) (new)

Julesy | 88 comments I was totally unaware I had lost 2 credits in the past year or two. It came to my attention when I did an Audible chat, inquiring about switching my monthly plan to something else. The customer service rep informed me that she would reinstate the 2 credits I lost and I said sure! I know I did a chat not too far in the past and they never mentioned about my lost credits. I think this is something new the C.S. reps have been trained to look for and reinstate as part of their new policy and/or the class action lawsuit. Regardless, I became 2 credits richer! (Or I guess not since they were mine to begin with. 😇)

message 14: by Joy (new)

Joy (audioaddict1234) | -7 comments I lost credits before and had them restored. I know with my annual plan you used to be able to carry over credits to the next year. Now you can’t. That’s kind of a raw deal for those of us on that plan.

message 15: by Jeanie (new)

Jeanie | 3257 comments This is from the notice and, as the lawsuit originally claimed, Audible doesn't clearly explain how the credits expire... even now!

• Starting April 1, active members on any annual Audible plan can keep all credits for up to one year, now consistent with other plans. Any credits issued prior to April 1 will have an extended expiration of two years from the issue date.

I think this means members on an annual plan can keep their credits a year past the end of the original annual membership, thus the comment that we can keep credits two years from the issue date. Still, clear as mud and open to interpretation.

message 16: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 947 comments Maybe it will be more clear when we get our first credit statement. That is, if annual members will get a statement.

message 17: by CatBookMom (new)

CatBookMom | 995 comments Joy wrote: "I lost credits before and had them restored. I know with my annual plan you used to be able to carry over credits to the next year. Now you can’t. That’s kind of a raw deal for those of us on that ..."

??? I am on the buy-24cr/year plan, paid up front, and I can carry over 12; that was clear long before the current new announcements (they started alerting me in Feb for my mid-April renewal, when I had 15 credits), and that hasn't seemed to be changed.

message 18: by Faith (new)

Faith | 413 comments CatBookMom wrote: "Joy wrote: "I lost credits before and had them restored. I know with my annual plan you used to be able to carry over credits to the next year. Now you can’t. That’s kind of a raw deal for those of..."

Since you renewed after April 1st I think your credits will expire in April 2020 with no rollover any more.

message 19: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 947 comments They've done away with credits being rolled over. ALL plans have one year expiry date after purchase. If you purchase 24 credits on the platinum plan on April 15, 2019 they will expire April 15, 2020 with no rollover.

message 20: by Specs (new)

Specs Bunny (specsbunny) | 424 comments Wow, they sure want to get rid of customers?
I changed from 24/year to 12/year last December (still had 6 left from my 24 so time for a bit of a downsize) and wil never change back to 24 because of this - or even not renew at all.

message 21: by Faith (new)

Faith | 413 comments Specs wrote: "Wow, they sure want to get rid of customers?
I changed from 24/year to 12/year last December (still had 6 left from my 24 so time for a bit of a downsize) and wil never change back to 24 because of..."

I get 24 per year but I may not renew that. I use my credits almost exclusively for 2 for 1 sales, so it will be hard to use up 24 in a year.

message 22: by CatBookMom (new)

CatBookMom | 995 comments Faith wrote: "Since you renewed after April 1st I think your credits will expire in April 2020 with no rollover any more. .."

Eeek! Use them or lose them. Guess the annual memberships just aren't as profitable, eh?

message 23: by CatBookMom (new)

CatBookMom | 995 comments Jeanie wrote: "This is from the notice and, as the lawsuit originally claimed, Audible doesn't clearly explain how the credits expire... even now!

• Starting April 1, active members on any annual Audible plan ca..."

Clear as mud is right. So, because I'll be renewing with 12 carryover credits from before April 1, 2019, those will last up to 2 years? Seems to me they've created a bookkeeping nightmare for themselves. Of course their default will be to apply the oldest credits first, leaving us with shorter-lived ones.

message 24: by Faith (new)

Faith | 413 comments CatBookMom wrote: "Jeanie wrote: "This is from the notice and, as the lawsuit originally claimed, Audible doesn't clearly explain how the credits expire... even now!

• Starting April 1, active members on any annual ..."

Your carry over credits should expire 2 years after the date you bought them in 2018, so all 36 of your credits probably expire in April 2020. We should just wait for Audible to send the credit status emails. That should clarify things.

message 25: by Joy (new)

Joy (audioaddict1234) | -7 comments My membership renews next month. I only have one credit left, and I have something to spend it on, so I need to decide how I want to renew. Last year they told me if my membership expired my credits would also expire.

Seems like it’s better just to wait for a sale these days.

message 26: by CatBookMom (new)

CatBookMom | 995 comments Joy wrote: "My membership renews next month. I only have one credit left, and I have something to spend it on, so I need to decide how I want to renew. Last year they told me if my membership expired my credits would also expire.

Seems like it’s better just to wait for a sale these days..."

Except, if you don't have a membership, there are fewer-to-no sales for which you can qualify.

message 27: by CatBookMom (new)

CatBookMom | 995 comments Faith wrote: "Your carry over credits should expire 2 years after the date you bought them in 2018, so all 36 of your credits probably expire in April 2020. We should just wait for Audible to send the credit status emails. That should clarify things..."

Oh, good math/thinking skills there. Thanks.

message 28: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 1119 comments Can anyone name anything that has gotten better at Audible over the last year?!

Not me.

message 29: by Specs (new)

Specs Bunny (specsbunny) | 424 comments The number of audiobooks available is always growing, that's good.

Downhill: Audible UK doesn't do any more buy 3 get x-reward sales. No more leave a book in your basket in a bogo sale, and have it available on the next bogo
Credits expire earlier

Any discussion about the contents of a book (sound/quality wise) are useless, they only seem to understand sales/credits etc.

Paris        (kerbytejas) (kerbytejas) | 145 comments info on this link that might be clearer??
https://goodereader.com/blog/audioboo...

message 31: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 947 comments Why should there be any expiry of credits? You've purchased them and they should be yours to use whenever you want.

There is no longer expiry dates on gift cards/certificates. Audible needs to follow suit and do away with expiry.

message 32: by Robin P (new)

Robin P | 1059 comments Basically you prepay so Audible has the money whether you get books or not. Kind of like the gym model, take the money at the beginning and if people never use it, so much the better for the company. I would think those who do the annual plan are some of the most avid listeners (and influencers) so it's a bad idea to anger them.

message 33: by Robin P (new)

Robin P | 1059 comments Paris (kerbytejas) wrote: "info on this link that might be clearer??
https://goodereader.com/blog/audioboo..."

That is much clearer than the actual Audible explanation! I've never done the year at a time because I didn't want to pay all at once and didn't really need that many credits. I usually buy most of my books at sales and suspend my monthly account for 3 months each year.

message 34: by Pamela (new)

Pamela | 74 comments Chrissie wrote: "Can anyone name anything that has gotten better at Audible over the last year?!

Not me."

They have added a lot of content, such as the audible originals and the Meditation and Fitness Program. True the freebies are a mixed bag. For us that just like books, I have noticed they've been adding a bunch of older books not previously available on audio.

message 35: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 1119 comments Pamela wrote: "Chrissie wrote: "Can anyone name anything that has gotten better at Audible over the last year?!

Not me."

They have added a lot of content, such as the audible originals and the Meditation and Fi..."

Most of the freebies are not worth having.

message 36: by donna (new)

donna backshall (dtamayob) | 68 comments Chrissie wrote: "Most of the freebies are not worth having."

Chrissie, I agree!

I take the freebies, because there's always a chance there's a decent one in there, but they're really just junking up my library. The few I've tried to listen to were a waste of my time. For me, there's no value added with them.

Audible could ask us what we want, and strive to provide that. I'd venture a guess most of us just want Audible to be our go-to provider for audio books, and to excel at this one useful thing.

message 37: by Janet (new)

Janet (justjanet) | 326 comments It's obvious that Amazon is trying to do the same thing with their Audible Originals that they are trying to do with their in house published e-books. They make a lot more money on them than they do if they have to pay the middleman (publishers)....problem is the quality isn't there most of the time. If they ever solve that problem, they will truly dominate the publishing world....and I will feel very sorry for us, the consumers, because monopolies always take away people's choices.

message 38: by Joy (new)

Joy (audioaddict1234) | -7 comments CatBookMom wrote: "Except, if you don't have a membership, there are fewer-to-no sales for which you can qualify."

I need to review how many sale books I’m buying and how I’ve rated them. Lately I don’t find much. The Originals have not been that great IMO—doesn’t add to the membership for me. And I’m finding a lot more via my library. I need to decide if Audibke is still worthwhile to me. It’s not as if I can’t come back if I let my membership expire.

message 39: by Joy (new)

Joy (audioaddict1234) | -7 comments I decided to switch to 2 credits a month as that is cheaper per credit than the 12 credits annually. Then if my credits build up I can cancel for a while. If I find I am using them every month then I can always go back to the platinum plan.

message 40: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (quiltsrme) | 143 comments Chrissie wrote: "Can anyone name anything that has gotten better at Audible over the last year?!

Not me."

How can you improve great? Hundreds of new books that are well done. Generous discount when buying credits all at once to use over 1 year. Some really fabulous sales. Some pretty good choices of Daily Special (Circe for $3.95 the other day). I do get lots of people grousing about their app, but otherwise, what is there to complain about?

message 41: by Stephanie (last edited Apr 12, 2019 11:12AM) (new)

Stephanie (quiltsrme) | 143 comments Janice wrote: "Why should there be any expiry of credits? You've purchased them and they should be yours to use whenever you want.

There is no longer expiry dates on gift cards/certificates. Audible needs to fo..."

Gift certificates and credits purchased are not the same thing. The reason why laws went into effect about gift cards/gift certificates was due to fraud on the part of many retailers. There was no indication on most cards when they expire or that money was being drained away every quarter. You'd have a $25 Walmart gift card that had not yet reached expiration, but when you used it, it was now worth only $22.50. Purchasing a credit is not the same as a gift certificate. Similar to a gym membership - you pay for the month, but if you don't use it, it's your loss.

Audible's new system will make clear to those who don't read what credits they have and when they expire. There is no reason for you not to use them.

message 42: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 1119 comments Stephanie wrote: "Chrissie wrote: "Can anyone name anything that has gotten better at Audible over the last year?!

Not me."

How can you improve great? Hundreds of new books that are well done. Generous discount w..."

I do not like that in the future I will not be able to roll over my credits in my Platinum account to the next year. This is not an improvement.

message 43: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (quiltsrme) | 143 comments Chrissie wrote: "I do not like that in the future I will not be able to roll over my credits in my Platinum account to the next year. This is not an improvement. "

You are looking at a single thing that was determined by a lawsuit. It's frustrating I'm sure - you get the best credit deal going and then can extend those credits for another full year. Well, you did get to enjoy the gravy train while it lasted and I regret not learning about the annual plans before. I snuck in just before the end of March, AND didn't even know about the extension when I bought that.

message 44: by Chrissie (new)

Chrissie | 1119 comments Stephanie wrote: "Chrissie wrote: "I do not like that in the future I will not be able to roll over my credits in my Platinum account to the next year. This is not an improvement. "

You are looking at a single thin..."

I am not looking at ONE thing. The changes made over the last year have all been to my disadvantage. Audible is not as good for the customer as it used to have been.

message 45: by Specs (new)

Specs Bunny (specsbunny) | 424 comments I agree with Chrissie. I think the problem is audiobooks are getting to popular (funny I should say that).

Amazon/Audible don't have to offer good deals to sell, any more.

I'm happy for audiobook and everyone involved, authors, narrators, publishers etc.

But customers do like to have great deals and we are allowed to speak out ;)

message 46: by CatBookMom (last edited Apr 15, 2019 06:38PM) (new)

CatBookMom | 995 comments Audible - no surprise! - seems to have a little glitch or so left in their communications of the new, improved credit counts. My Platinum Annual membership renewed today (so yes, 24 new credits), but my email says "2 new credits". Maybe their shiny-gold-faux coin isn't big enough for them to fit in "24"?

My account shows 24 new credits, and I don't really care enough to wait through getting to a CS person.

message 47: by Bill (Just a) (new)

Bill (Just a) | 723 comments Joy wrote: "I decided to switch to 2 credits a month as that is cheaper per credit than the 12 credits annually. Then if my credits build up I can cancel for a while. If I find I am using them every month then..."

I don't drive as much so I don't listen as much. Well - I do listen and work sometimes, but for work they are re-listens. Not new books. So I am thinking it might actually be cheaper to build up a few credits on a monthly plan. Quit. Dwindle the backlog and then get a promotion to sign back up. Do they offer free books for sign ups still? Do they offer deals to get old members back?

Best,
Bill

message 48: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1520 comments i switched to the 1 credit every 2 months plan - it let's me still access sales, but i have such a backlog and listening to more and move via overdrive/hoopla

message 49: by Rick B (new)

Rick B (rickyralf) | 28 comments My little hometown bank was recently bought out by a chain. it's been a general nightmare and Sunday they blocked my purchase of my credits for Audible. It took a couple of days to figure out whose fault it was, and it did turn out to be the bank's fault. 1 good thing, after all the trouble I had over two days, Audible gave me 3 free credits. I was going to get a couple of the two-for-one books, but unfortunately the only ones I liked were abridged. I won't buy the abridged versions of books, especially ones I've seriously considered reading.

message 50: by Specs (new)

Specs Bunny (specsbunny) | 424 comments Great Audible gave you 3 credits for all the trouble you had... now the bank has to give something too, I think... ;)

« previous 1