Mock Printz 2023 discussion

Mock Printz 2020 > April Discussion Book: Shout by Laurie Halse Anderson

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Bang Bang Books Do you think Shout is Printz worthy? Why or Why not?

message 2: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana (tatiana_g) | 54 comments This was the first YA standout of the year for me. Definitely a contender.

message 3: by Anne (new)

Anne (headfullofbooks) | 80 comments Wonderful. Moving. Vital. Anderson did it once again, twenty years after the book that started her career, Speak.

message 4: by Vicki (new)

Vicki | 12 comments Laurie Halse Anderson is courageous and a damn good storyteller.
Free verse delivered with a flow and packaged easy to read, even though the content might not always be easy. She shares stories of her family, her rites of passage, and her personal struggles. And her rape.
Reminding readers that "pain won't be contained by bars or marks; your scars deserve attention, too."

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 1 comments I listened to the audio where Anderson narrates. So powerful to hear her story in her voice. I was blown away with both the quality of the verse and the narrative. My favorite read of the year so far.

message 6: by Beth (new)

Beth | 9 comments Wow, reading the free verse novel, Shout, was such a powerful experience. The honesty and imagery that unwrap and present her memories are so gut-wrenching and raw and beautiful. I'm awestruck. This book sets the bar very high.

message 7: by Anne (new)

Anne (headfullofbooks) | 80 comments This book sets the bar very high." I haven't read many YA books this year but I am guessing that this will be the book to beat.

message 8: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 6 comments I loved this book! It was so raw--the poetry lent itself perfectly to the topic. My students haven't really been that interested in Speak over the last few years, but they've been reading this one up. (They also really like Speak: the Graphic Novel, which is another gem.)

message 9: by Maureen (new)

Maureen (mhsquier) | 79 comments This book is the embodiment of literary excellence. Each word feels like a deliberate choice, and Laurie Halse Anderson's voice comes through crystal clear. Definitely Printz-worthy, I hope this makes it through to January.

message 10: by Katie (new)

Katie (katielibrarian) | 4 comments YES. Definitely a contender. Although I have to wonder if teens who have not read Speak would have the same connections/feelings about the book.

message 11: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (crookshanks71) | 23 comments I also listened to the audiobook, read by Anderson. She's an excellent reader, and hearing it with her stresses, her pauses, her accents, really made it that much more personal to me. I'll be struck dumb if this book isn't on the Printz list.

message 12: by Katie (new)

Katie Slott | 2 comments Of the books I've read this year, this is so far my top choice. It's brutal and honest, and while including multiple stories makes it seem very universal, Anderson's voice made it very personal.

message 13: by Donna (new)

Donna Nix | 1 comments Probably my favorite for the year. I like the connection to "Speak", and the unique format. The author's voice comes through so clearly. All of her books have a high literary quality, but this one is the best!!