CanadianContent discussion

Archives 2019 > w/o April 5 to 11, 2019

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 4274 comments Mod
Greetings readers!

Have you all gotten back to your regular reading after the excitement of Canada Reads? or still finishing some of the books from the panel?

What are you reading? What is next on the bedside table?

Happy Friday!!

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 2052 comments Happy Friday indeed!

This week I've been listening to The Song of Achilles. I adored listening to Circe last year. At first, I didn't think I would like it as much as Circe because Achilles is so well-known already, but the story is told from the POV of his companion, Patroclus, and turning out to be just as wonderful. What a fun way to brush up on my Greek mythology!

Earlier in the week I finished The Luminous Sea by Newfoundland author, Melissa Barbeau. I quite liked it and was delighted when Breakwater Books, the publisher, reposted my bookstagram. I'm now reading The Hour of the Fox by Kurt Palka.

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan | 939 comments Good morning and happy Friday!

This week I finished Shrill: Notes from a Loud Woman and Lot, both of which I enjoyed. Lot is an impressive debut story collection. I look forward to reading more from this author.

I am currently reading Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup. I listened to the podcast (The Dropout) about the Theranos fraud case and was fascinated, so now I'm reading the book that first exposed all this. It's amazing how much con artists can get away with through talking a good game.

I'm also reading Asymmetry for my IRL book club next week. I'm still in the first section, which is based on the author's affair with Philip Roth when she was quite young and he was in his sixties. Yesterday I couldn't decide if I loved it or hated it. I think it's an example of a book I'm actually sort of loving despite really not liking the characters. I know this novel is made up of three disjointed parts, so I'm curious to see how it goes.

I have fallen behind on bingo and need to catch up this month once I get through book club and library holds reading. So many books!

message 4: by Anna (new)

Anna (iudita) | 62 comments I just finished My Sister, the Serial Killer. The premise is a bit far fetched, to the point of being comical but it turns out to be a fairly interesting piece of literature. It was certainly different than anything I have read before. I am also finishing up Where the Forest Meets the Stars. I was enjoying this book right up until a climatic scene about 75% through the book that had me rolling my eyes so hard, they hurt.

message 5: by Anna (new)

Anna (iudita) | 62 comments Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ wrote: "Happy Friday indeed!

This week I've been listening to The Song of Achilles. I adored listening to Circe last year. At first, I didn't think I would like it as much..."

I love Madeline Miller's work.

message 6: by Anna (new)

Anna (iudita) | 62 comments Susan wrote: "Good morning and happy Friday!

This week I finished Shrill: Notes from a Loud Woman and Lot, both of which I enjoyed. Lot is an impressive debut story collection. I..."

I can't wait to read Bad Blood. It's been on my radar since it was published. I look forward to seeing what you think of it.

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisafriel) | 239 comments Happy Friday!

I read A River in Darkness: One Man's Escape from North Korea by Masaji Ishikawa for book club. It was a dark, but fascinating read.

After three non-fiction, it was time for a fantasy break. I read Wintersong by S. Jae-Jones. It was good, but I didn't love it. Probably won't continue that series. I also read Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris and it was a quick, light, fun read.

I need to get back to BINGO reads too!

message 8: by Wanda (new)

Wanda | 604 comments Happy Friday and hopefully happy Spring weather! I just started reading Professor Chandra Follows His Bliss, finding some good humor in it already. On audio I am taken in by The Great Alone- I am sure to listen intently to the end. I wish everyone sunny days ahead- with good books.

message 9: by Gail (new)

Gail Amendt | 174 comments Happy Friday!! It hasn't really been a reading week for me. I did finish Starlight, which I absolutely loved. The publisher handled the fact that it is unfinished perfectly. I am now reading A Brief History of Time, which a friend gave me. I think it is probably good for me to read the words of the great Stephen Hawking, but I'm not really enjoying it. I have heard it described as Physics For Dummies, but I would beg to differ. I am not without a background in physics, and I'm having trouble following it at times. I think I will have to do some skimming on this one.

message 10: by Story (new)

Story (storyheart) Not much of a reading week for me either (taxes!) but I am very much enjoying Book of Clouds by Mexican-British writer Chloe Aridjis. This is my 2nd book by Aridjis--loved the first (Asunder) and can't wait for her third Sea Monsters to arrive from the library.

message 11: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 4274 comments Mod
Hi all - not too much reading for me during the week but did finish The Quintland Sisters last weekend. It is astonishing to think that 6000 people would traipse through their play area and unbeknownst to the little girls be watching them like zoo animals. It was told from the fictional perspective of a nurse but wove in the real history of these girls who were taken advantage of by their father, their physician, the government and many others. It made me do a bit of googling and it is sad to think that while only 2 are still living, one had her money stolen by her son and is living in subsidized assisted living in montreal.

I also finished The Body which formed the story for the movie Stand By Me. Stephen King is a remarkable character author and I enjoyed this short book.

I am still listening to Uncle Tom's Cabin and ready to start a new book.

message 12: by Emmkay (new)

Emmkay | 383 comments @Susan, the book about the Dionne quintuplets sounds fascinating and disturbing - kind of a precursor to reality television.

This week I read and really liked The Hate U Give - YA isn't often my thing, but it was very powerful and also nuanced. Great read!

Since finishing it, I've been intending to start Circe for a real life book club, but keep turning to it too late at night after a busy day. Hopefully tomorrow...

message 13: by ✿✿✿May (new)

✿✿✿May  | 989 comments Happy Saturday!
This week I finished listening to Prince Harry: The Inside Story, The Girl Who Smiled Beads: A Story of War and What Comes Afterand Cat and Nat's Mom Truths: Embarrassing Stories and Brutally Honest Advice on the Extremely Real Struggle of Motherhood and reading The Woman in the Window.
I had fun attending a charity event for #strongwomenread by Harper Collins last week and got to meet Pam Jenoff, Molly Faderand Hannah McKinnon and got signed copy of their new books.
Currently reading The Weight of Heaven.