Play Book Tag discussion

Man's Search for Meaning
This topic is about Man's Search for Meaning
April 2019: History > A Man's Search for Meaning - Viktor E. Frankl - 5 Stars

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

“If there is meaning in life at all, then there must be a meaning in suffering. Suffering is an ineradicable part of life, even as fate and death. Without suffering and death human life cannot be complete.”

A Man’s Search for Meaning was written specifically about the Holocaust and the concentration camps. However, there is a lesson that we can learn from reading this book, no matter what your life circumstances may be. This book was life-altering, helping me to truly appreciate my own life, even though it has been full of trials and tragedy. Life is not a "pursuit of happiness,” which is so difficult to attain, but instead an opportunity to live meaningfully and purposefully.

This book truly has me speechless. I cannot recommend it enough. I plan to actually read this book again over Yom Kippur later in the year. If you have not read this book, please do.

“Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.”

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8168 comments It was one of the most unforgettable and life imprinting books I ever read. So glad it moved you, Rachel.

message 3: by NancyJ (last edited Apr 05, 2019 01:56AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4894 comments Great review Rachel. The quotes are really helpful in explaining the power of the book. The first is one of most profound quotes I read this year. It's a powerful concept that I believe is used by religious leaders of many faiths when attempting to counsel or comfort people. The last quote is useful for everyone.

It's an important book and I'm really glad that I read it too.

message 4: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7117 comments Thanks for the review Rachel-it sounds like a very moving read. Everyone has those times when we throw ourselves a "pity-party", myself included-I feel myself drifting in that direction lately and this looks as though it may help to put things in perspective-again, thanks for sharing!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I can't recommend this book enough Joanne. I have always stood in awe of those survivors, including some I have known so well. But this book puts that mindset into words for everyone. Truly an inspirational book.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Amy wrote: "It was one of the most unforgettable and life imprinting books I ever read. So glad it moved you, Rachel."

Thank you Amy. Such a profound book.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5538 comments One of my all-time favorites. First read it in college and it's remained in my memory ever since.

Joy D | 3073 comments I read this many years ago, but still recall its powerful message