Dragons & Jetpacks discussion

Dark Matter
This topic is about Dark Matter
BotM Discussion - SCI-FI > Dark Matter / Overall Discussion / Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sandy | 1646 comments This is the thread for the BotM discussion of Dark Matter

Sandy | 1646 comments I really liked this book when I really didn't have great hopes going in. I thought the world that was built was well done and to me this was a very original topic. I will admit that I haven't read a lot of scifi.

I thought the concept was built up well and threads were tied together very well.

Looking forward to hearing what others thought...

Maximum Beans (maximumbeans) | 515 comments I really enjoyed this one. The whole time I was reading it I was thinking what a great sci-fi thriller movie it would make.

message 4: by Sandy (last edited Apr 06, 2019 06:05AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sandy | 1646 comments I have to agree - they should make a move or series out of this. I actually reminded me a bit of Quantum Leap except not with any historical figures in it.

RM(Alwaysdaddygirl) (alwaydaddygirl) | 5 comments Aloha,

I am at my hold limit with my library card. I get this book someway.

Mahalo,
RM
🐾🇺🇸

message 6: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new) - rated it 3 stars

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 2822 comments Mod
I was thrown off because I had different expectations from what I got. But it’s still good.

Maximum Beans (maximumbeans) | 515 comments Sandy wrote: "I have to agree - they should make a move or series out of this. I actually reminded me a bit of Quantum Leap except not we any historical figures in it."

I'd say more Sliders than Quantum Leap - QL was about time travel. It got me thinking of other SF Thrillers I've enjoyed, and now I want to go track down a copy of Virtuosity.

Sandy | 1646 comments Since I enjoyed this - can you tell me who wrote the Virtuosity you refer to? There seem to be many out there.

Maximum Beans (maximumbeans) | 515 comments Virtuosity was a 1995 film with Denzel Washington. If I recall correctly it's about a VR computer program built to train police officers with a virtual psychopath who is made up of the traits of lots of serial killers. It goes sentient and somehow escapes the virtual world.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114857/...

Sandy | 1646 comments Thanks Scott ! I like Denzel Washington. Will have to look for that.

Maximum Beans (maximumbeans) | 515 comments You're very welcome Sandy

N.E.C.C. | 119 comments I read this a while ago and i liked it very much. I didn't love it but it was really hard to put the book down.

This is the only book written by Blake Crouch that i read and i was not disappointed at all, i like the way he wrote this. Especially the details on how the main character fell throughout the story, amazing.

Milou | 486 comments Just finished this, and really enjoyed this. Read it in 2 sittings, couldn’t put it down. I agree this would make a great movie.
This one really messed with my head, I felt the desperation of the mc of getting back to his wife. Also made me think, a lot. I think I made the right decisions :p

message 14: by Lel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lel (lelspear) | 1810 comments I really liked this one, the more the book went on the more quickly I read and the more engrossed I got.
Although sitting here, having just finished the book, the overwhelming feeling I have is horror. I feel like I want to cry at the ending and the 50 or so Jason’s watching the original
Jason go off with his family. Just the idea of all those guys realising that they will never have that family is traumatising.
I definitely won’t be taking my family for granted for a few days at least!

message 15: by Wayland, Ernest Scribbler (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wayland Smith | 2866 comments Mod
This one really impressed me. It was really well executed, had a fantastic original idea as the central concept, and I loved the twist after he got "home."

I wouldn't want a whole novel, but I'd love a short story on what happened to Amanda, who really did illustrate the "No good deed goes unpunished" saying.

Hayley | 394 comments I really enjoyed this one too and it's not the sort of thing I'd normally read. It did feel more thrillery than sci fi most of the time but I found all the physics in it fascinating.

I agree it makes you think alot which I like in a book and I felt terrible for the other Jasons too. Apart from Jason 2 they all had just as much right to be with his wife as our Jason. Although I'm not sure I liked the ending, it felt a bit too surreal when all the Jasons showed up and I can't help thinking if there were infinite possibilities then surely there would have been an infinite number of Jasons who found their way back not just a hundred or so. Although it did highlight how much your experiences can change you.

As for Amanda I was wondering what happened to her too but then I thought in an infinite number of universes everything happened to her.

Also crazy naked Jason they met in the box was really creepy but I'm wondering how he got there. and how they saw him and no one else. I thought it wasn't possible to encounter anything else in the box.

Sandy | 1646 comments I don't think they had a right to be with his wife because they didn't make the choice to stay with her, in my opinion. We need to live with our choices. Why not try to make a better choice in the future, rather than go back and steal someone else's choice.

message 18: by Wayland, Ernest Scribbler (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wayland Smith | 2866 comments Mod
Well put and good argument, Sandy.

Sandy | 1646 comments Wayland wrote: "Well put and good argument, Sandy."

Even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in a while... thanks!

message 20: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new) - rated it 3 stars

Shouldn’t the other Jasons have shown up in the hallway from the beginning? When did the possibilities start diverging?

message 21: by Ben George (new)

Ben  George | 32 comments I would have preferred a more thriller twist where our Jason is not the O.G. Jason. But I had very mixed opinions on the book overall.

message 22: by Matt (last edited May 02, 2019 05:17AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Matt Miller | 22 comments I loved this. It gets you thinking, tells a good story and engrosses you in the mindset of "our" Jason.

The use of quantum superposition, game theory and infinite possibilities were well done, interesting and very organic in the story nothing felt particularly forced.

The ending is about as nice as it could have been given the circumstances. Still, feel bad for the other Jason's but someone had to win.

The book instils horror, wonder and fascination. Who are we and who could we have been?

Sandy | 1646 comments I for one would like to go back and redo some decisions and see where life would have taken me as an academic exercise. There are decisions i would redo if I could but then there are ones I might never have had if I had made a different choice. Maybe it is best to leave it alone.

message 24: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new) - rated it 3 stars

I usually enjoy “Sliding Doors” types of stories.