Play Book Tag discussion

Footnotes > HUGO Awards Finalists

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7110 comments Here is a link to the list of books who made the cut for 2019 Hugo Awards for any Sci/Fi-Fantasy Fans

https://www.tor.com/2019/04/02/2019-h...

I really have to give Spinning Silver another read, I really did not like it when I read it, and maybe it was where I was at in my head at the time, and not the book.

message 2: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6063 comments Note the number of women authors ... and some nice diversity. These are not my genre (except for Game of Thrones and Tolkien LOL), but I've taken note of a few and actually have one or two in my TBR.

message 3: by Joanne (last edited Apr 04, 2019 03:27PM) (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7110 comments Theresa wrote: "Note the number of women authors ... and some nice diversity. These are not my genre (except for Game of Thrones and Tolkien LOL), but I've taken note of a few and actually have one or two in my TBR."

Yes! I am really happy about the number of women who have come out with
great reads, in this genre that was historically a man's game!

message 4: by Hebah (new)

Hebah (quietdissident) | 674 comments I've voted in the Hugos a few times now, but I'm kind of relieved I'm not this year--some of those categories are such tough choices. Such a great ballot this year!

message 5: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2207 comments I’m listening to Spinning Silver at the moment and enjoying it so far, but it seems very long. Less taut than Uprooted (which I adored) though

Some great ideas for further reading on this list!

message 6: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3031 comments Joanne & KateNZ, I am listening to Uprooted and I am really struggling. I am not normally reading fantasy, I can be finicky with the genre, so I think it is more me than the book. Also, this is the first fiction book I've ever listened to and any quirk of the narrator changes my response to the story...

message 7: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7110 comments KateNZ wrote: "I’m listening to Spinning Silver at the moment and enjoying it so far, but it seems very long. Less taut than Uprooted (which I adored) though

Some great ideas for further reading on this list!"

I loved Uprooted too. I believe I said this before, but I read Spinning Silver immediately after, and I was underwhelmed.

Meli-I do not do audio, so I cannot compare-hope it gets better for you

message 8: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8151 comments Absolutely not my genre in the least. But I loved the Tethered Mage and it’s sequel The Defiant Heir. The third in the trilogy comes out soon. I was sorry not to see it get any attention or acclaim, since I thought it was so good.

message 9: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4850 comments I loved Spinning Silver! I gave it 4.5 stars, rounded up. Liked it marginally better than Uprooted. Glad to see it on the list!

message 10: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4887 comments I loved the 1944 fantasy films! This was my favorite era for films.
I had these three on VHS tapes, but I'll have to go online to see if the library has the DVDs. Cabin in the Sky can always make me smile, as can any Lubitsch film.

*Cabin in the Sky, written by Joseph Schrank, directed by Vincente Minnelli and Busby Berkeley (uncredited) (MGM)

*A Guy Named Joe, written by Frederick Hazlitt Brennan and Dalton Trumbo, directed by Victor Fleming (MGM)

*Heaven Can Wait, written by Samson Raphaelson, directed by Ernst Lubitsch (20th Century Fox)

message 11: by Karin (last edited Apr 07, 2019 03:39PM) (new)

Karin | 6879 comments Honestly, I didn't think that The Calculating Stars was that great of a book that it would make the finalists for the Hugo award! I gave it 3 stars. I have read two of Becky Chambers' books; she is a stronger writer, but that's all I plan to read of her books since I don't read as much scifi as I used to and there are other ones I'd rather get to. I don't read fantasy often as I don't care for it.

So I won't be voting. I will check in with my scifi GR group (haven't been there much this year of rebellious reading) and see what people there say in addition to this.

message 12: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6063 comments Just read this about/by one of the nominees. Found it quite interesting!

https://geekcalligraphy.com/blog/2019...