Play Book Tag discussion

The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle
Archive: Other Books > The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle - Stuart Turton (4 stars)

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Cora (corareading) | 1286 comments The 7 1/2 Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle - Stuart Turton

4 stars

I really liked this book. It was a mixture of Agatha Christie and Quantum Leap. It had an original premise. It was more of a big idea book than a character book, but that is OK because I like big idea books. I like it when authors put their characters in interesting situations and see how they react. The mystery itself was interesting - not too easy to figure out, but not out of left field when the answer is revealed. I was left wanting to know more about the world that this situation would take place in. There were a few times when the pace slowed a bit and I wanted to story to get on with it, but over all it kept my interest and I am glad I read it.

message 2: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7110 comments The teasers on this have peaked my interest-I have friends on the yes side and friends on the no-still not on my TBR shelf, but more reviews like yours and I may give it a try.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Joanne, I am the same. I have seen some wonderful review, and then some not so good. Of course, it is the same with my current read and I am loving that one. I may have to add this one to my TBR.

Sarah | 57 comments Rumor has it, 7 1/2 will come to the screen

Cora (corareading) | 1286 comments Sarah wrote: "Rumor has it, 7 1/2 will come to the screen"

I think it would make a good movie. I actually used it for that category in the Popsugar challenge.

message 6: by Susie (new) - added it

Susie | 4488 comments I agree that it would make a good movie, perhaps a rare instance of being better than the book.

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4887 comments Great observations. You're right about Quantum Leap! Part of the charm of that show and this book is how the protagonist had to figure out how to act like someone he didn't know. I too wanted to know more about the rest of the world, and how he got in those bodies. I guess the author decided to avoid sci-fi topics and focus on the mystery.

I have more respect for the book than my initial rating reflected. It was very clever. I still sometimes think about the changes that the characters went through, and some of the moral dilemmas they faced.