What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Over the Rainbow: Tales of Fantasy and Imagination
This topic is about Over the Rainbow
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Creepy Story in Kids' Anthology early to mid 1980s. [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 3 comments Sometimes in the early-to-mid 1980s I had a book of children's stories. It was prose and not a picture book so we are not talking baby stuff. I don't remember anything other than that it was an anthology of some kind.

What I am really looking for is a specific story though, not the anthology itself. The story is about these kids who went sledding or something and they got invited into this house by some other kids (who MAY have been blond/very pale, but I may be misremembering that).

Inside the house was this sort of delightful kid's land of whatever snacks they wanted and possibly some other fun stuff. The protagonists are enthralled and they go a few times (I think?) One of the kids that seems to live in the house tells them to be back at a certain time so they can be a part of this fun forever (maybe?) Anyway the protagonists of the story miss the time and when they get back there the house is totally gone.

I can't remember if the protagonist kid felt sad or glad about it anymore. It is possible that one was angry to miss it but one was sad because they realized that they would disappear. Again, may be misremembering as it has been so long.

Anyhow--I know I don't have much in the way of detail, but this story always stuck with me and I would like to remember exactly what it was.

Thank you!

message 3: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 3 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "The Phantom Cyclist and Other Ghost Stories" Thank you! That is not the anthology I had, but it *does* contain the short story, "The White Haired Children". Thank you so much!! :)

message 4: by Beverly (new)

Beverly | 3 comments I believe that the book I had was called Over The Rainbow, Tales of Fantasy and Imagination

message 5: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 15703 comments Hey, glad to help out!

Good to know you found the correct anthology, too. :)