Hugo & Nebula Awards: Best Novels discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Monthly Reading: Nominations > June 2019 - Hugo Nominees (1of2)

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (last edited Apr 04, 2019 06:21PM) (new)

Art | 2540 comments Mod
The two themes for June to pick from are Hugo and Nebula nominees.

This thread is for nominating books from the list of Hugo Nominees 2019 and Retro-Hugo Nominees 1944:

Best Novel 2019

The Calculating Stars by Mary Robinette Kowal
Record of a Spaceborn Few by Becky Chambers
Revenant Gun by Yoon Ha Lee
Space Opera by Catherynne M. Valente
Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik
Trail of Lightning by Rebecca Roanhorse

Best Novel 1944

Conjure Wife by Fritz Leiber
Earth's Last Citadel by C.L. Moore
Gather, Darkness! by Fritz Leiber
The Glass Bead Game by Hermann Hesse
Perelandra by C.S. Lewis
The Weapon Makers by A.E. van Vogt

message 2: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

Art | 2540 comments Mod
Links are up and working now.

message 3: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Z (new)

Oleksandr Zholud | 3335 comments Mod
I plan to read the whole trilogy, so I nominate its third volume, Record of a Spaceborn Few

message 4: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Wheaton | 169 comments A good friend whose taste I respect has suggested Spinning Silver, so I'll nominate it here.

message 5: by Oleksandr, a.k.a. Z (new)

Oleksandr Zholud | 3335 comments Mod
Cynthia wrote: "A good friend whose taste I respect has suggested Spinning Silver, so I'll nominate it here."

It is good, but for me it was weaker than her previous Nebula winning Uprooted

message 6: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

Kateblue | 3545 comments Mod
I liked Spinning Silver ok, but it could have been more effective if it had been shorter

I have no access to a copy of The Glass Bead Game except for paying $10 for something that should be in the Free Public soon, so I guess I will nominate Gather, Darkness! as I haven't read it yet.

The only new one I haven't read is Revenant Gun by Yoon Ha Lee, and I am not sure if I am interested

message 7: by Allan (new)

Allan Phillips | 1794 comments Mod
I just started Trail of Lightning, so I'll nominate that. A few of the others are mid-series books, so unless I can read the previous ones ahead of time, I'll skip. Read Conjure Wife last month, after having it on my shelf for a couple decades, and really liked it. Gather, Darkness sounds interesting, but I'm open on the others. I plan on reading the whole Space Trilogy this year, but all three books are short; maybe we could just make the three one month's read.

message 8: by Art, Stay home, stay safe. (new)

message 9: by Antti (new)

Antti Värtö (andekn) | 715 comments I'll nominate Glass Bead Game (sorry, Kate!): it is a classic, after all.

message 10: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new)

Kateblue | 3545 comments Mod
Hey, Antti, if I don't read a book for this month, that's ok, I have a zillion books to read. I am trying to pick ones that I haven't read is all. So since I already HAVE a copy of Gather, Darkness! (and it's $2 cheaper even full price) I hope it wins. :-)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.